Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InTheMist

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2013
That's interesting. Every Aperture user I know is wondering about an update.

It'll be cool to see what Apple comes up with.

(Full disclosure: I use Lightroom)

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Interesting find, I'd say things are looking positive.

@telecomm, the key phrase is:

Apple's PhotoApps engineering team is looking for a Senior Imaging Software Engineer to continue our history of developing advanced tools for serious photographers to perfect and enhance their photos.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
@TheReef, if "serious" had been "professional" it would be a bit more suggestive, but this posting doesn't scream Aperture to me.

Of course, no one likes to see a one-horse race, and the more Lightroom competitors there are the better. So, I do hope Apple finally come out with something new...

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
@TheReef, if "serious" had been "professional" it would be a bit more suggestive, but this posting doesn't scream Aperture to me.

Agreed. I suppose a serious photographer is considered to be anyone with a camera better than an iPhone!

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.

Of course, no one likes to see a one-horse race, and the more Lightroom competitors there are the better. So, I do hope Apple finally come out with something new...

Fair enough, that would've been much more convincing.

My reasoning is that it doesn't seem like Apple would market iPhoto as "an advanced tool for serious photographers", going off their marketing here:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/what-is.html

That said they could always be spicing up the job description to be more appetising for the more technical minded developer... but I'll keep hoping :)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
The other thing to consider is that iPhoto and Aperture are developed by the same team. Especially now that they share the same library, it should be relatively easy to move from one to the other depending on workload. But if I had to bet money, I would say the job posting was for Aperture. The 'largest library' also indicates Aperture.

As a pessimist ... if this job posting is supposed to beef up the team for the next update, then it is going to be a while yet.

as an optimist ... a developer may be retiring, but had agreed to wait until the next update was finished, which means it is close to release.

However, I'm Canadian.... so current state of the glass simply means it is time to order the next beer.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Just posted today: https://jobs.apple.com/us/search?#b...NPRO&j=SFWEG&lo=0*USA&pN=0&openJobId=26320019

Sure sounds like an Aperture engineer job description to me.

It's not dead yet!

This is a key line

Experience with OpenCL, OpenGL and GPU programming

It suports what I wrote yesterday. I asked if people remembered the statement during the Mac Pro segment of the Keynote that said "You all really should be using OpenCL" This to me says Apple is re-writing much of their software to use OpenCL. It is a very labor intensive process to do that.

Notice also the "extra" graphic card in the Mac Pro. It does not take two cards to run the monitors. OpenCL will run the functions yo ask it to on whichever is the fastest way one whatever hardware you have. (It does a test the first time then remembers.) So it ail split the task evenly over 12 cores if that will be best or it might do the tasks on a GPU. It tries both the first time then looks which went faster.

I suspect the "new" Aperture to come out with with other re-written pro apps (like Logic) at the same time the new MP is released, later in 2013. They are a package: New MP and pro apps rewritten to use OpenGL. (Aperture is old, it came out prior to OpenCL)

Also I expect a new 4K monitor at the same time. I can't believe Apple would build in 4K support then expect you to buy a third party monitor to use it.

Open CL has the potential to speed up certain parts of Aperture by factor of THOUSANDS of times. However the bottle neck will be storage of the library. Even if you use a disk array with a Thunderbolt connection the data still has to go uder the read/write disk heads on bit at a time.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
The new iOS 7, Mac Pro and the new Maverick OS are all due to start rolling out by or during the third quarter and in time for the holiday spending season. It seems logical that once these come out some Aperture upgrade in some form should at least be announced. Mean, you've got to feed the Mac Pro beast something. At least, that's what my heart is thinking, the brain...well that's another matter! However, Aperture with some plug-in help still meets 95+% of my needs. As does LR5 for others. Competition is good, as has already been pointed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.