Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave84

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
My Hurt Locker is 22GB, using HB aTV3 preset.

Thanks for checking mic j, mine comes in at 19.84GB. Do you have any issues streaming to the ATV3?

I can only assume some sort of network problem but why do some work and others don't?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for checking mic j, mine comes in at 19.84GB. Do you have any issues streaming to the ATV3?

I can only assume some sort of network problem but why do some work and others don't?
No problem...sorry. :(

I assume you have tried Optimizing and it didn't work for you, right?

Dave84

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
No problem...sorry. :(

I assume you have tried Optimizing and it didn't work for you, right?

Yup, original run through HB was ATV3 preset with "web optimised" ticked. When you attempt to play the film through AT3 I get the spinning wheel as normal for 5 seconds or so, then the film starts to buffer (progress bar at the bottom). Then.... nothing.

Tried running through the Subler "optimise" option and get the same result.

Whats strange is that its only on the large 1080P rips. SD, 720P ATV2 rips, and smaller ATV3 rips all work perfectly.

I'll re-rip the Blu-Ray in MakeMKV and try again and report back tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Yup, original run through HB was ATV3 preset with "web optimised" ticked. When you attempt to play the film through AT3 I get the spinning wheel as normal for 5 seconds or so, then the film starts to buffer (progress bar at the bottom). Then.... nothing.

Tried running through the Subler "optimise" option and get the same result.

Whats strange is that its only on the large 1080P rips. SD, 720P ATV2 rips, and smaller ATV3 rips all work perfectly.

I'll re-rip the Blu-Ray in MakeMKV and try again and report back tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.
Subler and HB both have the same optimizing function, so there is no difference. If you miss doing it in HB (I have it set as part of my aTV3 preset) you can always do it with Subler. But they both do the same thing.

I think I remember you posting about this in another thread that sort of came to a dead end, right? I think it's worth a re-rip as it sounds like something is funky with the files. Could you do a media inspector analysis and post it? It might help...or might not. But sometimes it provides a clue.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I'm sure the final file sizes after handbrake are correct.
No, the file size is irrelevant (sort-of), the bitrate matters. Obviously they are interlinked.
PS for a new HandBrake run, try with constant quality setting and slider set to around 22.0 (+/- 0.5) to see if that helps.
PPS I don't think you need to re-rip it again, if you can get this MKV through HB, it should be OK.

Last edited:

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Hi DJTaurus,

Did the Subler "optimise" work for you? I too am in the same boat, all SD and 720P movies stream perfectly from itunes on my mac to ATV3. It is only when I try and play 1080p rips (and then only some of them) that they just will not stream.

Not sure if file size has something to do with it as the 1080p rips that do stream fine are relatively small files (5-10 GB). The ones that don't work are larger size rips like Aliens (24 GB) and Hurt Locker (19GB).

All the 1080p rips where done in Handbrake ATV3 preset, and all 720P rips done using the ATV2 preset. "Web Optimise" in Handbrake was checked on all rips :S

Yeap all rips 720p/1080p works fine with subler and using optimise in the end. I havent tried files over 10gb so i dont know. I hope subler had the option to also convert avis to mp4…. so for avi's i use handbrake which take ages to convert….. but the convention is well done… next time i ll also use web optimise as you mentioned… is that the same thing as doing optimise with subler?

I just wonder, why are your audio tracks so different from mine? What version of Subler and iTunes are those pics taken from?
I get proper Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 displayed in iTunes 11. As you can see, conversion was done with HB 0.9.9

Dont know mate. I only download movies from piratebay and kickass… and then i just use subler with default options and optimise in the end.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Dont know mate. I only download movies from piratebay and kickass… and then i just use subler with default options and optimise in the end.
Then I can only suggest to analyze them with Media Inspector to see what codec tags are assigned to the tracks. They can be off in MKVs (Subler won't touch them, so they pass unchanged) but HB always sets them correct to iTunes' and :apple:TV's liking.
The Codec ID aka FourCC is the thing we're looking at.
On my properly streaming file, they look as follows:
Code:
Video #1
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 3 frames
[COLOR="Red"]Codec ID                         : avc1[/COLOR]

Audio #1
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                   : LC
[COLOR="red"]Codec ID                         : 40[/COLOR]

Audio #2
ID                               : 3
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
[COLOR="red"]Codec ID                         : ac-3[/COLOR]
PS there's even an app for changing FourCC-s in a file, but seems to be Windows only:
http://www.fourcc.org/identifier/

Last edited:

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
No, the file size is irrelevant (sort-of), the bitrate matters. Obviously they are interlinked.
PS for a new HandBrake run, try with constant quality setting and slider set to around 22.0 (+/- 0.5) to see if that helps.
PPS I don't think you need to re-rip it again, if you can get this MKV through HB, it should be OK.

Don't you get better quality through HB by sliding the slider the other way to the right? i.e. wouldn't the quality be better if its say 16 as opposed to 20?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Don't you get better quality through HB by sliding the slider the other way to the right? i.e. wouldn't the quality be better if its say 16 as opposed to 20?
Exactly. But my idea was to lower the resulting bitrate to see if that helps.
The scale is logarithmic, so even small changes cause big effect on bitrate generated.
I use 22.5 for 1080p Blu-Ray rips that seems to yield about 5000kbps stream.
PS just for testing, you don't have to handbrake the entire movie! You can limit it to range of frames, time or chapters.

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
Exactly. But my idea was to lower the resulting bitrate to see if that helps.
The scale is logarithmic, so even small changes cause big effect on bitrate generated.
I use 22.5 for 1080p Blu-Ray rips that seems to yield about 5000kbps stream.
PS just for testing, you don't have to handbrake the entire movie! You can limit it to range of frames, time or chapters.

Ahhh yes, I see what you mean :)

Yeah ive been using between 15-19 on mine, and like the original topic poster, mine does take a while to buffer up as well, so I think ill be using 22 or so :) which will still be good quality im assuming?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.