Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

31rhcp

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Has anyone installed Windows 8 without Windows 7 already installed?

I currently have Release Preview installed and have a copy of XP that I used with Snow Leopard on my old MacBook, but since I am now running Mountain Lion, XP is no longer supported.

Is it possible to use the Release Preview as a previous version of Windows and upgrade from there? This looks somewhat promising http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.htm
but I don't want to go and drop $40 on the upgrade only to find out that it doesn't work and then have to pay more for a full version in addition to the upgrade.

Has anyone done this?

TouchArchive

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
IL
Has anyone installed Windows 8 without Windows 7 already installed?

I currently have Release Preview installed and have a copy of XP that I used with Snow Leopard on my old MacBook, but since I am now running Mountain Lion, XP is no longer supported.

Is it possible to use the Release Preview as a previous version of Windows and upgrade from there? This looks somewhat promising http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.htm
but I don't want to go and drop $40 on the upgrade only to find out that it doesn't work and then have to pay more for a full version in addition to the upgrade.

Has anyone done this?

You can install only full version -windows 8 not upgrade version.

BillEdrich

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
You can install only full version -windows 8 not upgrade version.

Do you mean one cannot upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8?

If I'm not wrong (I'm not sure about it actually), but there's always an option to upgrade your OS from previous to the latest one. (for example from windows 7 to windows 8)

TouchArchive

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
IL
Do you mean one cannot upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8?

If I'm not wrong (I'm not sure about it actually), but there's always an option to upgrade your OS from previous to the latest one. (for example from windows 7 to windows 8)

If you have windows 7 or Xp installed on your PC you can upgrade to windows 8 without any problem,but not all software will work with windows 8.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
The nasty thing is you can (custom) install from upgrade DVD but you can't not activate the installation. As soon I tried that it told me: go away.

So I first had to install Vista again and upgrade from there. Pain in the neck. But now it runs smooth under VMWare Fusion.

31rhcp

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2010
The nasty thing is you can (custom) install from upgrade DVD but you can't not activate the installation. As soon I tried that it told me: go away.

So I first had to install Vista again and upgrade from there. Pain in the neck. But now it runs smooth under VMWare Fusion.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of....the activation. What version of OS X are you running? If it is Lion or ML, did you have any trouble installing Vista even though it's not officially supported?

EDIT: Oops I missed that you were using Fusion, nevermind then.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.