Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MungoIX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
England
Hey everyone,

I am looking for an external storage option for my MBA, I can't afford a MBpro or an iMac. I currently use a 1TB USB 3.0 WD External HD but when I try and import movies/photos directly to this to save space on my MBA, it crashes. I went into an Apple store and they suggested I use a D-Link DNS 320 NAS that I have at home (currently sitting on a shelf, unused)

I tried to use this but I did some investigating and it seems the firmware on the DNS isn't compatible with snow leopard? I was looking at alternative NAS's now to directly save any data I want (photos, movies, music) on to.

I looked at a time capsule, but a friend said it was slow? I am currently looking at a synology ds212j? would this be a suitable solution? or can anyone recommend anything better?

Thanks in advance

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
I looked at a time capsule, but a friend said it was slow?
It will be slow the first time you do a full backup, but from there it should only backup your changes to files or new/deleted files so updates will be relatively short, even on wireless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.