Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:33 PM   #1
mstone6453
macrumors newbie

Mac Mail problems - freezing, pausing, and not quitting oh my!

Howdy~

Since installing Lion, I have had some problems with Mac Mail on my iMac (purchased about a year ago):
1. While typing an email, the program appears to freeze (but *no* twirling rainbow circle appears). The pause is often long (20-50 seconds) and then all or a portion of what I typed will magically appear after the delay. This applies to any other type of action (so for example, trying to click on a different part of my email - nothing will happen for several seconds then the cursor will eventually show up in the place that I clicked). It's excruciatingly slow and obviously impacts productivity.

--I have tried updating software. (I'm completely up to date.)
--I have also tried shutting down the computer entirely and restarting it (after which I had the same problems).

Other issues:
2. Sometimes when I try to shut down Mac Mail, the quit option is greyed out. (So I have used Force Quit instead.)
3. After quitting the program (using Control Q or by going to the drop down menu), the window closes (indicating Mail has quit) but the round circle of light under Mail's icon in the dock remains lit indicating the program has not quit.

--I have not noticed similar delays with other programs.

Help.

Thanks,
M
mstone6453 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:12 PM   #2
SplicedBanjo
macrumors regular

For 1, I would recommend rebuilding your mailboxes (under the Mailbox menu).

2 and 3 are either symptoms of 1, or they are just normal. Mail might not be able to quit if it is in the middle of something. It might just be a lot more "busy" than usual if it's dealing with whatever glitches are causing 1.
SplicedBanjo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Sonhascome
macrumors 6502

Do you have any other programs that are doing anything strange like this? i would do like the guy above said, I wouldn't think its anything with Lion I've never heard of this happening before, however with new software you never know so if all else fails you could always try reinstalling lion
Sonhascome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:47 PM   #4
mstone6453
macrumors newbie

Thanks

I will try rebuilding.

No, none of the other programs are freezing in the same way.

Thanks much,
M
mstone6453 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:16 AM   #5
nicknjw
macrumors newbie

hi i have exactly the same problem when i use yahoo on my mac be interested to know anyone else that has the problem
nicknjw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:09 PM   #6
butterwm
macrumors member

Same issues using yahoo mail--looking for solutions. Wondering if I should try a different e-mail program.
butterwm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help