Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeholl1979

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I have Windows 7 on a Bootcamp partition, and ended up running out of space; so I figured I'd us Gparted to resize the partitions.
When I booted GParted off of my disk drive, it wouldn't even let me resize my OSX partition because it didn't recognize the file format...so I shut down and attempted to log into OSX, only to get the prohibitory sign.
I had to use the disk repair utility when I booted into Windows.
I attempted to start OSX in safe mode, but it didn't work.
This is my first Mac computer, and I just bought it a couple weeks ago (new 27")

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359663149.015371.jpg

joeholl1979

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I have Windows 7 on a Bootcamp partition, and ended up running out of space; so I figured I'd us Gparted to resize the partitions.
When I booted GParted off of my disk drive, it wouldn't even let me resize my OSX partition because it didn't recognize the file format...so I shut down and attempted to log into OSX, only to get the prohibitory sign.
This is my first Mac computer, and I just bought it a couple weeks ago (new 27")

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! View attachment 393816

Oh, and I also reset the PRAM

joeholl1979

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I'm not sure what I did wrong...I didn't think I did anything at all in GParted. I'll never use that software again.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Have you looked at the FAQ?

Intel-based Mac OS X uses a combination of GPT and MBR for partition tables. When editing partitions with GParted, the GUID partition table will be updated, and the MSDOS partition table will be set to a single protective entry.

You can re-sync the GPT partition entries to the MSDOS partition table with the following command:

sudo gptsync /path-to-disk-device

Where /path-to-disk-device is something like /dev/sdb

This problem can also be repaired with the rEFIt application.

I've never used GParted myself, but it looks like that command or rEFIt app may be able to fix it. Of course, it would help if the FAQ actually listed the symptoms so that we'd know whether that's the problem or not!

joeholl1979

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Have you looked at the FAQ?

I've never used GParted myself, but it looks like that command or rEFIt app may be able to fix it. Of course, it would help if the FAQ actually listed the symptoms so that we'd know whether that's the problem or not!

Ugggh. If I would have known it was going to be that technical, I would have passed. I've already re-installed OSX and will be downloading my backed up files from CrashPlan.com over the next few days. I definitely regret using GParted.

----------

Now here is my next question. I re-installed OSX and recovered my Windows Bootcamp partition; but now it says that my OSX partition is 1TB and my Windows partition is 100GB.

Last time I checked, I started out with only a 1TB hard drive.

Why is it doing this?

----------

Ugggh. If I would have known it was going to be that technical, I would have passed. I've already re-installed OSX and will be downloading my backed up files from CrashPlan.com over the next few days. I definitely regret using GParted.

----------

Now here is my next question. I re-installed OSX and recovered my Windows Bootcamp partition; but now it says that my OSX partition is 1TB and my Windows partition is 100GB.

Why is it doing this?

I may not have articulated the problem well. What I mean is that my OSX partition says there is like 975GB of space available, and I am using 98GB on my Bootcamp partition...so it equals out to over 1TB of space.

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA

----------

Why is it doing this?

----------

I may not have articulated the problem well. What I mean is that my OSX partition says there is like 975GB of space available, and I am using 98GB on my Bootcamp partition...so it equals out to over 1TB of space.

do you have the fusion drive?

joeholl1979

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Screen Shot 2013-02-01 at 12.37.29 AM.png

Okay, all I know is that I have the following partitions now:

Macintosh HD: Capacity 1.02TB, 115KB Available

Macintosh HD: Capacity 1.01TB, 975GB Available

BOOTCAMP: Capacity 102GB, 4.25GB Available

I'm very confused at this point, and I just wish I could figure out how to get my hard drive back to the way it was. It used to say that my OSX partition had like over 800GB available, and that made sense because I allocated 100GB to the Bootcamp partition.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Don't have a clue, I'm afraid. GParted probably has no idea how to handle a fusion drive which would explain a lot, but not having one myself I couldn't say how to fix this :(

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
View attachment 393876

Okay, all I know is that I have the following partitions now:

Macintosh HD: Capacity 1.02TB, 115KB Available

Macintosh HD: Capacity 1.01TB, 975GB Available

BOOTCAMP: Capacity 102GB, 4.25GB Available

I'm very confused at this point, and I just wish I could figure out how to get my hard drive back to the way it was. It used to say that my OSX partition had like over 800GB available, and that made sense because I allocated 100GB to the Bootcamp partition.

Don't confuse the disk Macintosh HD: Capacity 1.02TB, 115KB Available

With the partition Macintosh HD: Capacity 1.01TB, 975GB Available

also the hidden recovery partition takes some space...

it could mean the partition tables are borked

have you tried verify disk?

joeholl1979

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I just bought Camptunes X and it would only recognize a very small OSX partition and the Bootcamp partition. It looks like I'm having a stroke of bad luck.

beerbaron23

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2017

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! View attachment 393816

WARNING:
I know this is old as hell, but it still come's up in the google search BS. So I thought I'd chime in that using Gparted on any Hard-disks containing an OSX native HFS+ formatted partition (Especially when it's journaling is enabled) is a death sentence.... Making modifications with Gparted and Windows Disk Manager is a sure hell fire way to loose all your data or current work.... and that even includes using the HFS+ driver for Gparted. Always, Always use the "Disk Utility" in OSX to create/shrink, partition and make room for adding an additional OS where multiple partitions on the same disk is your goal....

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
The solution was to invest in CampTunes prior to changing the partition sizes.

The only way out of this that I have had success with is by nuking thew hard drive and starting all over agin. I trust you do have backups ~ critical at any time, more so with BootCamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.