Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
Yes, DW is definitely expensive, if my employer hadn't paid for it, I most likely wouldn't be using it. But, I have to strongly disagree with your claim that it is less capable than cheaper or free alternatives. I've tested a TON of options on both Windows and OSX, and there is not a single program that offers the same wealth of features as DW.

It depends what features you mean. Eclipse, Netbeans, Komodo, and Aptana are all MUCH more powerful than Dreamweaver, and two of those are 100% free.

If anything, DW does too much, and forces you to spend a lot of time customizing and stripping away the bits and pieces you don't want.
That's time wasted, in my eyes.

I spend a big part of my day at work in front of my Windows workstation with Dreamweaver, and I also spend a lot of time with BBEdit on my Macbook Pro. I've been doing web development work since 1997 (Allaire Homesite FTW!), so I've tried a lot of HTML dev tools. While Dreamweaver isn't my first choice (especially when spending my own money), it is a very good product.

I guess we'll agree to disagree :) I wouldn't touch Dreamweaver with a 30-foot pole, nor would I let anyone on my team use it, but to each their own :)

grizfan

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2012
Boise, ID
It depends what features you mean. Eclipse, Netbeans, Komodo, and Aptana are all MUCH more powerful than Dreamweaver, and two of those are 100% free.

Again - I just haven't seen how these are MUCH more powerful than Dreamweaver. There may be certain development work where these are a better option, but for a general purpose web development tool, Dreamweaver offers a LOT, especially for front-end coding.

On my team, we have people using Coda, Dreamweaver, Visual Studio, Notepad ++, BBEdit and probably a few others. Its the results that matter, so use the tool that suites you best, and Dreamweaver is a viable option.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
Again - I just haven't seen how these are MUCH more powerful than Dreamweaver. There may be certain development work where these are a better option, but for a general purpose web development tool, Dreamweaver offers a LOT, especially for front-end coding.

Those tools are IDEs. They offer debugging, code completion, function lookup, intellisense, etc. Dreamweaver is not an IDE, it's a powerful text editor. Same as Coda.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Has anyone figured out how to get Coda 2 projects to show up in Diet Coda? I thought they were supposed to synch automagically via iCloud or something, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Yes. Have Coda2 up and running. Have the iPad with you. Coda2 flashes this message at the bottom left of the screen that changes colors saying "Point your iPad camera here" (or something close to this).

Now on the iPad start Diet Code. Point the iPad to the corner of the screen and in a few seconds, once the camera is pointed correctly, Coda will acquire the iPad and Diet Coda will render your site for you.

But, yes there is a but. Those of us who use PHP (or other server-side languages) have found the preview in Coda2 to be limiting. This is pretty true of most editors. The answer, for me, is MAMP (or in my case MAMP Pro). MAMP is free. There are also alternatives or you can configure your system manually. Just be sure Coda2 can preview your work through a web server and you can do a full site test on the iPad.

Here are 2 blog entries I wrote on the subject:

Coda2 and MAMP Pro: http://tony.abckyle.com/NetResultsBlog/index.php?id=8066151578510620650

Coda2 and Diet Coda: http://tony.abckyle.com/NetResultsBlog/index.php?id=6194780310305478232

Take care

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Tony; That's for activating the AirPreview feature, which isn't what I was asking. What I want is for my Coda projects to appear on the project list on Diet Coda without me having to re-eneter all the details to recreate the project on the iPad. This is apparently supposed to happen automatically, but it's not for me.

Incidentally, I have a cameraless iPad 1, so for me, activating AirPreview shows a four-digit number on the iPad and asks me to enter it in a field on the Mac. Don't understand why they didn't just do that for the other iPad models too; sounds a lot less awkward than fiddling with the camera.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Tony; That's for activating the AirPreview feature, which isn't what I was asking. What I want is for my Coda projects to appear on the project list on Diet Coda without me having to re-eneter all the details to recreate the project on the iPad. This is apparently supposed to happen automatically, but it's not for me.

My bad on that. My understanding for Diet Coda is a project has to be created in and then pointed to a web server. Unless one is using a staging site for testing this generally means pointing to a production system. Of course if people run with static IP addresses, use dyndns (or some other dynamic IP routing service) and are running full services they could point back to their development systems. Being the paranoid type I don't do that.

My purchase of Diet Coda was for the Air Preview feature and getting it at 1/2 price made it worth it.

Incidentally, I have a cameraless iPad 1, so for me, activating AirPreview shows a four-digit number on the iPad and asks me to enter it in a field on the Mac. Don't understand why they didn't just do that for the other iPad models too; sounds a lot less awkward than fiddling with the camera.

Tell me about it. Entering a 4 digit code is easier and faster than trying to get the camera lined up.

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
I have to do some CSS work, so I was playing with Coda 2's previewing today. I already know that Air Preview doesn't work for me; when I try to preview the index.php of a Drupal site, it seems to show the HTML as it would appear without stylesheets. Panic's apparently aware of the issue, though my guess is it might have something to do with the fact that I'm using a tricked-out hosts file on my local dev machine to set up fake domain names for my dev sites and the browser on the iPad can't handle those fake URLs correctly (haven't done much to confirm that guess or try to work around it yet, though).

So, okay, I'll use the local preview, since that seems to work. So I split the window and have my CSS file in one pane and a preview of index.php in the other. Now I thought the trick was that the preview would update automatically as I edited the code, or at least after I saved the file; however, the preview never actually updates unless I click the Reload button. …Really? Is that correct behavior? Then how is the built-in preview any better than just having another browser window open?

Arg, I still love Coda as a text editor, but it seems like its previewing features don't work as advertised, at least not yet and/or at least not for relatively complex CMS development.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
I have DW CS4/5, Espresso 1, and Coda 2. Coda 2 is by far my favorite; I almost never use DW.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010

this is actually what i mentioned when i left a review in the app store. there should be icloud syncing between the desktop and ipad app to sync up projects. you're saying thats supposed to happen? it doesn't happen for me either.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I have DW CS4/5, Espresso 1, and Coda 2. Coda 2 is by far my favorite; I almost never use DW.

Well checkout Espresso 2 which is a great improvement over Espresso 1. DW hasn't really changed much since CS4 as far as I see, so you are probably not missing much with DW CS6. I wouldn't know for sure tho, as i never use it.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Can anyone explain what the point of the split view is if you cannot open two separate documents? I've only figured out how to have the exact same document open which is hardly useful

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Can anyone explain what the point of the split view is if you cannot open two separate documents? I've only figured out how to have the exact same document open which is hardly useful

Split view allows you to see the code next to the layout, so you can select an element in the layout and see its code highlighted, or vice versa.

You can also have multiple documents open simultaneously (and have each in Split view if desired)

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Split view allows you to see the code next to the layout, so you can select an element in the layout and see its code highlighted, or vice versa.

You can also have multiple documents open simultaneously (and have each in Split view if desired)

I'm referring specifically to the documents portion of this feature. I know you can do the other things but how do you have two different documents open in split view?

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I'm referring specifically to the documents portion of this feature. I know you can do the other things but how do you have two different documents open in split view?

Use the navigation on the breadcrumb bar.

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011

I don't blame you for not being able to figure this out, since it's not very clear, but the secret is the tabs along the top of the window. Split a view, then drag a file from the filesystem tab thingie, the filesystem sidebar thingie, the Finder - basically anywhere there's a file inside our outside of Coda - to the tab of that view, and the file will open up in the active pane of the view.

It looks like you can also right/control-click on a file within Coda and select "Open in split" from the contextual menu, which I suppose is more logical than dragging files to tabs, but since that was the only way to do it in Coda 1, I've gotten into the habit of doing it that way.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I don't blame you for not being able to figure this out, since it's not very clear, but the secret is the tabs along the top of the window. Split a view, then drag a file from the filesystem tab thingie, the filesystem sidebar thingie, the Finder - basically anywhere there's a file inside our outside of Coda - to the tab of that view, and the file will open up in the active pane of the view.

It looks like you can also right/control-click on a file within Coda and select "Open in split" from the contextual menu, which I suppose is more logical than dragging files to tabs, but since that was the only way to do it in Coda 1, I've gotten into the habit of doing it that way.

Thanks for your help. This solved it :)

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
You can try them both for free. That should be enough to help you decide =]

Probably your best bet.

I've used both and they're both really capable programs, I switched over to Coda 2 as the price for the new version on the initial sale was tough to beat.

I also really dig Panic as a company, they're the good kind of people you like to support.

David Brownz

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
Sunnyvale,usa
Web Development

I want say that Coda 2 is one of the best Web Development Application for Mac OS, it contains more than 100 of new features than old Coda such as better editor, better CSS, new MySql and one most important Air Preview. I would suggest those people who are using Coda, to use Coda 2. There is my great experience with Coda 2.:)

xheathen

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2010
Has anyone yet really used it with Git?? That's the one feature I'm really not sure how it functions.

I'm right at that point where I'm moving all my workflow to a version controlled environment, and at this point it looks like something like SublimeText 2 along with Tower and something like Beanstalk would be a really nice set of solutions. If Coda could do the job of Beanstalk (which is basically used as a deployment vehicle between Git and the server), then I think Coda 2 would fit the bill.

tpalmieri

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2013
Downgrade from Coda2

Went ahead and purchased Coda 2, but after a few days using it am going back to Coda 1.

Removing features like renaming server side files (mentioned in the thread) is a huge mistake from my perspective.

I'm fine with the inevitable frustration of adjusting to new versions, but tolerating that in addition to often-used features disappearing is really tough.

Overall I still really like Coda, but until it catches up with 1, Coda 2 will have to wait.

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Removing features like renaming server side files (mentioned in the thread) is a huge mistake from my perspective.

Still there, just not a menu option, you just double click "Slowly" then you can rename.

At first I ran Coda 1 and 2 next to eachother, but Coda two is far superior, esp. now that small bugs have been fixed and "huge bugs" have been clarified (e.g. features taken out, but not really ;))

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
I have a bunch of text editors (Coda 2, SublimeText 2, TextWranger, Espresso 1, DW CS5), and Coda 2 is by far my favorite.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I've used tons of editors: DW, Aptana, Eclipse, NetBeans, BlueFish, Coda1. Coda1 is my favorite by far.

I've yet to make the leap to Coda2 as I'm currently working on a BIG project and am a little scared of relearning a workflow in the middle. I will probably pick it up after I finish ( 2 months ).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.