Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:26 PM   #1
HarmoBoy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
What is this? Leaked iphone 5 Classic?



http://bbs.weiphone.com/read-htm-tid-6723695.html

Just saw it on a chinese iphone forum. Quite a interesting photo isn't it?

----------

It is said in original thread that the thickness of box is around 7-8 cm and it is big enough to put a sumsung S4 into it. What the hell is it? Hope it is not a copycat...
HarmoBoy is offline   3
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:28 PM   #2
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Not really that interesting. You can walk down parts of NYC, or other major cities where they have a shady enclave with fly-by-night electronic stores, and see similar boxes. It's easy to make a counterfeit iPhone box, and sometimes, making a counterfeit iPhone that passes as the real thing until you use it, isn't too hard either.









What gives them away as fakes are the size of the packaging. Apple genuine packaging is minimalist and extremely compact. The above fakes... and your image... are of boxes that are honkin' huge.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is online now   2
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:37 PM   #3
HarmoBoy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Not really that interesting. You can walk down parts of NYC, or other major cities where they have a shady enclave with fly-by-night electronic stores, and see similar boxes. It's easy to make a counterfeit iPhone box, and sometimes, making a counterfeit iPhone that passes as the real thing until you use it, isn't too hard either.

Image

Image

Image

What gives them away as fakes are the size of the packaging. Apple genuine packaging is minimalist and extremely compact. The above fakes... and your image... are of boxes that are honkin' huge.

I suspect it is fake one as well.

But if look at this "iPhone 5 c" one this plastic one looks really well designed and somehow convincing isn't it? Well maybe it is a well designed fake one
HarmoBoy is offline   1
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Retired Cat
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
What is this? Leaked iphone 5 Classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmoBoy View Post
Image

http://bbs.weiphone.com/read-htm-tid-6723695.html

Just saw it on a chinese iphone forum. Quite a interesting photo isn't it?

----------

It is said in original thread that the thickness of box is around 7-8 cm and it is big enough to put a sumsung S4 into it. What the hell is it? Hope it is not a copycat...
I know what this is. It's part of the packaging for the "low cost" iPhone, iPhone 5C, where "C" designates color.

The reason the package is big enough to fit a SG4 is that there needs to be packaging material inside to protect the phone while it is in transit to retail.

Additional thoughts: The front face of the retail packaging will be clear, so that the color of the phone inside is visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Retired Cat is offline   3
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:08 AM   #5
ogremoustro
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Cat View Post
I know what this is.
__________________
 2011 MacBook Pro 15" with dead dGPU
iPhone 4S 16GB
iPhone 5S 32GB
iPhone 6 Plus 64GB
ogremoustro is offline   1
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:34 AM   #6
wasimyaqoob
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London, England.
Fake.
wasimyaqoob is offline   1
Old Jul 28, 2013, 03:54 AM   #7
srsub3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago
poor in quality (see the yellow color of the plastic on the right box) so a fake for sure to me, however quite interesting, well designed
srsub3 is offline   1
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:39 AM   #8
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmoBoy View Post
It is said in original thread that the thickness of box is around 7-8 cm and it is big enough to put a sumsung S4 into it. What the hell is it? Hope it is not a copycat...
It is... think of it as the HiPhone. Yes, that exists or at least it did 4 years ago.
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   1
Old Jul 28, 2013, 08:40 AM   #9
madsci954
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsub3 View Post
poor in quality (see the yellow color of the plastic on the right box) so a fake for sure to me, however quite interesting, well designed
These could be the packaging for the low cost iPhone, but this particular bin are the rejected cases.
madsci954 is offline   5
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:45 AM   #10
sviato
macrumors 68000
 
sviato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: HR 9038 A
Fake or not I hope that's not the naming scheme Apple ends up using
sviato is offline   1
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:57 AM   #11
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
Look at the size of the screw in the corner of the bin. This is not nearly big enough to be the entire boxing for an iPhone.
ritmomundo is offline   1
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:32 PM   #12
SpoekGTi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Prolly fake, judging on the sizes of packaging of the iPhone 5 and iPod touches now, even if its to hold more stuff it should be smaller (read less high)
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 i7 2.3Ghz/16GB/512GB/GT750M | iPhone 5S Gold 32GB | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz/16GB/500GB| Synology DS412+ 14TB| Offshore Synology DS207+ 750GB
SpoekGTi is offline   1
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:45 PM   #13
fedecape
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
iPhone 5Cheap
__________________
 2013 11" MBA i7 8GB 256SD / LG Nexus 5
fedecape is offline   1
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:30 PM   #14
g35
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I want to believe this is real, and the name sounds believable enough (C=color?) but all the boxes look like they're different sizes/depths. Doesn't make sense for that to be the case. Unless this is the reject bin. The size of the screw in the bin has no bearing on this because you have no scale for the size of the screw to begin with.
g35 is offline   1
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:15 PM   #15
waa1futs
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
If this was real then wouldn't the name on the boxes be the "5S C"?

Lets say in 2014 they come out with the iPhone 6, then the cheaper iPhone would be called the iPhone 6 C... yet, what happens in 2015 when they come out with the 6S? Call the cheaper version the iPhone 6 C again for the 2nd year in a row?
waa1futs is offline   1
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:37 PM   #16
Ocellaris
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by waa1futs View Post
If this was real then wouldn't the name on the boxes be the "5S C"?

Lets say in 2014 they come out with the iPhone 6, then the cheaper iPhone would be called the iPhone 6 C... yet, what happens in 2015 when they come out with the 6S? Call the cheaper version the iPhone 6 C again for the 2nd year in a row?
5S would be the high end model. 5C would be the inexpensive plastic model. If you believe the rumors.
Ocellaris is offline   1
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:09 AM   #17
waa1futs
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocellaris View Post
5S would be the high end model. 5C would be the inexpensive plastic model. If you believe the rumors.
You obviously didn't read :P

So... explain then what the cheaper iphone will be named then in BOTH 2014 and 2015

Calling it the iPhone 6C two years in a row for different models would be stupid.
waa1futs is offline   1
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:44 AM   #18
atlatnesiti
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by waa1futs View Post
You obviously didn't read :P

So... explain then what the cheaper iphone will be named then in BOTH 2014 and 2015

Calling it the iPhone 6C two years in a row for different models would be stupid.
This is one of the reasons that I think Apple will finally drop this iPhone "S" nonsense releases this year...
atlatnesiti is offline   1
Old Jul 29, 2013, 01:21 AM   #19
OllyW
Moderator
 
OllyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Black Country, England
Please continue in the News Discussion thread.
__________________
Some Apple stuff
Some other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/disco-tramps
OllyW is offline   1

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaked Photo Shows Dozens of iPhone 5C Devices Being Tested at iPhone Manufacturer Pegatron MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 218 Oct 13, 2013 07:39 AM
iPhone 6 ? Purported 6-inch iPhone prototype leaked photos gto55 iPhone 14 Sep 8, 2013 11:05 AM
Leaked 'iPhone 5S' Rear Shell Likely for iPhone 5, Rumored Specs Equally Suspect MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 31 Aug 15, 2013 12:59 AM
When was the new iPhone first leaked? FooArk iPhone 0 Sep 13, 2012 11:34 PM
The leaked iPhone 5 design is an actual apple device, it's just not the iPhone....... Cdaddy112 iPhone 20 Sep 11, 2012 08:59 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC