Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewWV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Hi, could somebody please send me a link of a PS3 controller which will be compatible with my Macbook Pro (to play games such as Grand Theft Auto with) from http://www.ebay.co.uk or any U.K. website as I do not know which ones will work as I have been told that some of them are not compatible

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Hi, could somebody please send me a link of a PS3 controller which will be compatible with my Macbook Pro (to play games such as Grand Theft Auto with) from http://www.ebay.co.uk or any U.K. website as I do not know which ones will work as I have been told that some of them are not compatible

Try the gaming section or the MacBook Pro section..

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I would look into the wired Xbox 360 controller instead. It works in Portal, Half Life 2, etc.

If you're dual booting into Windows, then you'll do much better.

The PS3 controller will work, even without drivers, but I don't think the support is there in all games as much as the XB360 controller.

Anywho, here's more info:

http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/

m6GKY.jpg

Last edited:

MatthewWV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
I would look into the wired Xbox 360 controller instead. It works in Portal, Half Life 2, etc.

If you're dual booting into Windows, then you'll do much better.

The PS3 controller will work, even without drivers, but I don't think the support is there in all games as much as the XB360 controller.

Anywho, here's more info:

http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/

I currently have a wireless Xbox controller which I only use for my Xbox - but heard you need a network adapter to use it or something? What is this and how would I go about configuring it all? I've never done this before - where can you get the adapters from?

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I currently have a wireless Xbox controller which I only use for my Xbox - but heard you need a network adapter to use it or something? What is this and how would I go about configuring it all? I've never done this before - where can you get the adapters from?

You have the wireless version? It would probably be cheaper to buy a new USB wired one. Look at eBay, I bet you can find the white version for cheap (it looks pretty good!) compared to the black one. Also the cable is REALLY long so you're definitely covered as far as sitting far away from your monitor.

I game via a Projector in my room that's connected to the Mac Pro (I also switch between a PS3 and Mac Pro)..a 115" display is pretty cool and works great :)

I bought this controller a long time ago, never owned an Xbox360, but comes in handy once in a while when I game.

I think you need to get this to make the wireless work via USB. But the ratings aren't so high.

P.S. I was playing Assassins Creed III and Hitman Absolution under Windows without any problems. Black Ops II as well, though I didn't finish most of them (the real world called, haha)

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The Microsoft wireless gaming adapter lets you use wireless Xbox controllers on a PC. It works fine if you get a genuine Microsoft one. I have one myself.

The bad reviews are from people who bought knockoffs. Unfortunately Amazon combines product reviews from all resellers under one page, including the genuine resellers and the ones selling counterfeit goods.

You are fine if you just get one from a trusted source.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I use a wireless PS3 dual axis 3 controller. There is an app called game pro companion? In the App Store. I think it was $4.99 or something when I purchased it. I haven't used it much in Mountain Lion, if I used it at all and worked. You can reprogram the buttons and all and get the dual shock vibration effect.

Edit:
It's called GamePad Companion and the AppStore has it for $7.99.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.