Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreama

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
looks pretty good to me. i cant read it of course, but looks great.

What i do like - is that when you click the menu's across the top, they load straight away, no waiting !

bizzkid

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
Hi all,

I've just finished my first website for a client. What do you think? Any thoughts on design, improvements, changes etc? :)

The website is in danish, but I hope you guys can condone that part :)

http://skovlyst.net

I'd get rid of the "Welcome" block. Doesn't provide an added value. I like the clean minimalist design of the site. If this is your first, nice one!

Mikey7c8

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Montreal, Canada
It's better than my juniors would have done. Generally I think you've got all the elements right, code is pretty neat and uses a consistent style, etc.

:)

wedelgaard

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Hillerød, Denmark
Thank you for your suggestions and thoughts about the website.

Any constructive criticism are very welcome. Its the best way for me to improve the site and my web development skills :)

If any of you want to know about specific things about the site feel free to contact me.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Nice looking site, but visitors who have javascript disabled will be cut off from everything but the first page.

You haven't created a web site, you've created a single page with a bunch of hidden divs. It's a nice effect, but accessibility suffers for it.

Hidden divs have been known to hurt Google search rankings also.

Just my $.02

tzhu07

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
Nice looking site, but visitors who have javascript disabled will be cut off from everything but the first page.

You haven't created a web site, you've created a single page with a bunch of hidden divs. It's a nice effect, but accessibility suffers for it.

Hidden divs have been known to hurt Google search rankings also.

Just my $.02

I would agree with this assessment. I wouldn't be so concerned about users disabling JavaScript though, since that is very rare.

But the SEO downfall of having a single page website is the biggest issue.

wedelgaard

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Hillerød, Denmark
I agree, single page layout have some drawbacks as you mention. Do you know any "best practice" tips on SEO optimization on single page layouts?

I tried to use history.pushState and popstate to optimize the navigation a bit. I know it won't work in non-HTML5 browsers though.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
You guys sound like you know what you are doing.

Please PM me: I need someone to duplicate a couple of sites for me (I'll be reselling the same products as them).

ddmcnair

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
Nice Site

I used a translator and found out this site is about Forestry and Nature. That's pretty cool. I would vary the pictures for the categories. For instance one category is about fish and streams. It seems that a picture of fish in a stream or a brief repeating movie of a flowing stream would be good.

Overall a clean design, looks good.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi wedelgaard. It's a good start and nice color choices. Maybe you can reduce the size of the fonts to show more of the forestry images in landscape format. Sometimes a big image can have a dramatic impact on the site visitor.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Really nice looking site, I would say though, that you seem to have more than one <h1> tag, which in addition to it being a single page website, is likely to slaughter its Google Ranking.

auhagen

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Denmark
I like it a lot. Its simple and clean.

But there are some minor details I dont like. It's my personal opinion, and others might not agree with me, so bear that in mind.

I've attached an drawing that should explain it simply :)

Cheers from a fellow dane.

Attachments

• skovlyst.jpg
    skovlyst.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 205

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Thank you for your suggestions and thoughts about the website.

Any constructive criticism are very welcome. Its the best way for me to improve the site and my web development skills :)

If any of you want to know about specific things about the site feel free to contact me.

Any thoughts from you or the client on making it responsive? Feels like it would be fairly easy given the design you have going.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I like it. Very clean, natural colors that compliment your design and purpose.

Although.

NEVER PUT TRANSPARENT BLOCKS WITH TEXT OVERTOP IMAGES.

The spacing between the bottom navi, top navi, and content section changes from page to page.

The good news is that's easy to fix once you move the text boxes off of the images.

Meir David

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Good work but as others told don't put it single page try to elaborate it..so that it will give you look and feel and user friendly..

Moshu

macrumors member
May 3, 2012
on my computer it's lagging a lot during the background image translation.

If you like JS programming, I would suggest a practical exercise regarding transition implementation which will boost your CSS, HTML and JS knowledge.

So instead of resiource-hungry CSS transition, try to implement it by changing a DIV oppacity in 10 steps (from 100% to 0) while using a setTimeout of 100 ms for example, in order to have the transition finish in 1 second.

Let me know how it works out :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.