Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer9542

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Hello, I guess this only applies to people living around Chicago, but I'm in Highland Park and for the past few weeks I have been getting LTE speeds ranging from .30-.70mps around the suburbs (same problem in Lake Forest and Deerfield). This has been a consistent issue for at least 2-3 weeks. My buddy who lives in Lake Forest has the same issue. My latest speedtest (while typing this) is .32 download, and 9.17 upload. Everything was fine when I first got my 5. Anyone else experiencing this??

BearsFan34

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Chicagoland, IL
I'm a bit further south than you, and a little west perhaps...am in the Plainfield/Naperville/Joliet area.

I can consistently get 20Mbps down and 10Mbps up. Sometimes more, it depends on my exact location & the time of day. No matter where I am around those towns/areas. There is a bad stretch on Naperville/Plainfield Road where there's practically no signal at all; but otherwise the speeds I get in and around my area are solid.

I've even seen 40Mbps down at my home, which is faster than my near-businesss-class internet/wi-fi at home.

AT&T is solid for me both at home & where I work, south of the city. It's why I've stuck with them, really no complaints.

I'm sure though on my next trip downtown (to Chicago) will be as craptacular as it's always been with any iPhone I've owned. It's bad in Skokie & Niles & other parts north of the city I get to from time to time. Not sure how AT&T can improve their signals in those areas…

joshtheburrito

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
I live about 15 mins away from you and have been having the same problem since 2 weeks ago. I called ATT about it and they have yet to call me back!:mad:

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
I've even seen 40Mbps down at my home, which is faster than my near-businesss-class internet/wi-fi at home.

How is that even possible? I thought AT&T had a 5x5 deployment in Chicago, which I believe has a theoretical speed cap of 37Mbps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.