Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

birdy1928

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
Have been trying to restore iPhoto from Time Machine. Have lost access to about 11,000 photos all of which I saved to a dedicated external drive.

I followed instructions from Apple support, i.e., restoring from the original discs but all I get is an iPhoto icon on the dock which will NOT blink or jump when I click on it.

Am happy with Snow Leopard, an upgrade from Leopard but am wiling to purchase Mountain Lion if it comes with a new version of iPhoto. Even then I am skeptical that this would help. I don't have the restore disc that is supposed to be on the original Leopard 10.5 and using the Bundled feature will not let me choose an iPhoto restore.

Any advice how I can make sure that the non-working iPhoto would be overwritten if I were to buy an upgrade?

Thank you for your input!

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I can't say why it won't be working when you reinstall it unfortunately, but rather than buying Mountain Lion (which won't come with any iLife applications) you can just buy iPhoto on the Mac App store for £10.50 (about ~$18?). Might be your best bet if all else fails.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Have been trying to restore iPhoto from Time Machine. Have lost access to about 11,000 photos all of which I saved to a dedicated external drive.

I followed instructions from Apple support, i.e., restoring from the original discs but all I get is an iPhoto icon on the dock which will NOT blink or jump when I click on it.

Am happy with Snow Leopard, an upgrade from Leopard but am wiling to purchase Mountain Lion if it comes with a new version of iPhoto. Even then I am skeptical that this would help. I don't have the restore disc that is supposed to be on the original Leopard 10.5 and using the Bundled feature will not let me choose an iPhoto restore.

Any advice how I can make sure that the non-working iPhoto would be overwritten if I were to buy an upgrade?

Do a spotlight search and make sure you've using the correct iPhoto you installed (there could be more than one on your system).

To make sure the non-working iPhoto is overwritten, just move it out of the Applications folder to the Trash before you buy it from the App store.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK

Does the iPhoto symbol in the dock get a Question mark on it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.