Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I just read the review. It was good and informative as usual. I was waiting for Anandtech to chime in with the new iMac in some form or another.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I'm curious if they'll compare a 5200rpm fusion drive in the 21 vs what they tested, a 7200rpm fusion drive in their 27".

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
This is another outstanding review of the fusion drive.

There are only 3 good articles about fusion drive on the web right now, and they all come from anandtech.

There isn't a way to properly benchmark fusion drive as the performances will not only depend of the task at hand, but also the usage history of the drive. Opening Photoshop on an almost full drive when it's never used will yield very different results than opening it on an almost empty drive.

Anandtech seems to be the only ones to have understand it, and focus their reviews much more on explaining the process and give real life impressions. Good job guys!

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
There are actually some other good articles about Fusion and its performance characteristics. It seems to be changing the mind of some folks after usage.

Fusion vs alternatives

Is that me or he was clearly against fusion drive last month? This article is dated from October, but I know I have read his stuff last month and he was very much against fusion drive...

qamaro

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Is that me or he was clearly against fusion drive last month? This article is dated from October, but I know I have read his stuff last month and he was very much against fusion drive...

No its not just you. He was against fusion at the start due lots of unknowns about it but after actually testing it he's now changed his opinion.

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
Anandtech's knowledge of the computing world and technology in general is second to none. If they say something is good, then as far as I am concerned, it is good.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City

He was. He's very cranky and usually against anything that is not his special configured Mac Pro. Seems more interested in specs than actually getting stuff done. A measurbator more or less. He's also a paid shill so take his opinions with a grain of salt.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
He was. He's very cranky and usually against anything that is not his special configured Mac Pro. Seems more interested in specs than actually getting stuff done. A measurbator more or less. He's also a paid shill so take his opinions with a grain of salt.

Wow! There's a strong air of resentment in that post.

tredstone

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
He's entitled to his opinion, just like anyone else on this forum (and clearly there are plenty). But he does then dive into each product to benchmark and get some quantitative data on performance before giving an informed verdict.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I thought the review was quite fair. Anand was also pretty clear who would not benefit from Fusion vs Full SSD. My take away was if your commonly used data set exceeds 128GB... that you would start getting more "HDD like" performance.

Those us us who have such data sets... know it. This review validates moving to the full SSD model for such users.

/Jim

pokrface

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2007
This is another outstanding review of the fusion drive.

There are only 3 good articles about fusion drive on the web right now, and they all come from anandtech.

I dunno, I thought I did a pretty good job in my post on Ars. Anand even linked to me on page 4 of his write-up.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Anandtech's knowledge of the computing world and technology in general is second to none. If they say something is good, then as far as I am concerned, it is good.

This

Not this.

Anand doesn't just take things on face value and asks the difficult questions. He is skeptical, and this is good until a product has been proven.

I've never seen him massively against anything, but until the way it works is laid out and his concerns are laid to rest, he will not give it the thumbs up.

Being interested in spec is HIS JOB. He's a hardware junkie and people depend on his opinion for product guidance.

As to being a paid shill, care to elaborate? I've been following anandtech since 1997-1998 and have yet to see anand steer me wrong with any product.

He asks the hard questions, does detailed analysis, doesn't put BS in his graphs, etc.

"His opinion is different to mine!" does not mean "shill".

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
As to being a paid shill, care to elaborate? I've been following anandtech since 1997-1998 and have yet to see anand steer me wrong with any product.

He asks the hard questions, does detailed analysis, doesn't put BS in his graphs, etc.

To be fair, I'm a huge Anandtech fan and he does have a sort of pro-Intel slant to many of this writings, even just qualitatively speaking. But that said, everyone has biases and preferences that can subconsciously affect their writing, and even if somehow he actually is a secretly paid Intel shill, it clearly has not affected the quality and *objective measurements* of his work.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
This

Not this.

Anand doesn't just take things on face value and asks the difficult questions. He is skeptical, and this is good until a product has been proven.

I've never seen him massively against anything, but until the way it works is laid out and his concerns are laid to rest, he will not give it the thumbs up.

Being interested in spec is HIS JOB. He's a hardware junkie and people depend on his opinion for product guidance.

If you would have actually read the post I responded to and the link that was referenced in it, you would have seen that I was talking about the article by Lloyd Chambers on his Mac Performance Guide website AND NOT the articles on the Anandtech website. I am a very strong supporter of Anand and his team. Actually, I find his content to be the most unbiased and well written of pretty much anyone out there in the tech industry. Mac Performance Guide and his associated elitist posts on camera equipment, not so much.

Hope this clears things up.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
To be fair, I'm a huge Anandtech fan and he does have a sort of pro-Intel slant to many of this writings, even just qualitatively speaking. But that said, everyone has biases and preferences that can subconsciously affect their writing, and even if somehow he actually is a secretly paid Intel shill, it clearly has not affected the quality and *objective measurements* of his work.

He's pro-intel at the moment because intel are simply kicking AMD's butt right now, and have since the Core 2 - AMD simply don't have anything competitive in terms of performance. Bulldozer was a bet that didn't pay off - like Intel had with the Pentium 4 architecture.

That isn't being a paid shill, it's simply stating the facts.

I remember the days when the Athlon came out and the P3 was having issues cracking 1ghz (and then the dog that was the original Pentium 4 came out), and he was certainly not pro-intel then.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012

AMD has dropped the ball. They had an opportunity to become a true competitor of Intel. They had at one point gain not only desktop share but server share with their opteron chips. Now they somehow made their processors into glorified pentium 4s.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Um, right... that's exactly what I'm saying, that I'm a fan and even if he has biases, he produces objective work to support his opinions. I dunno if you guys just skimmed my post or what, but I'm saying he's NOT a paid shill, and even if he was per conspiracy theorists, it's irrelevant since his work is objective and solid. Just noting that his writings do have a pro-Intel slant to them, which are likely due to factual analysis and personal preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.