Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I found this article on the web. I would like to try it but am afraid that I will lose my unlimited plan if I'm found out. HAs anyone tried to do this? Any negative results. What I want to do is set my phone to forward all of my phone calls to my work cell, then install the iPhone 5 sim in my iPad mini to get unlimited data on that device.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
I wouldn't risk it. Unlimited plan is more valuable than gold. Violation of the contract will give them an excuse to terminate your plan which AT&T would love to do.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
It works. I use to use my iphone sim in my mini.. Now I added a dumb phone line with data ($10 + $10 unlimited data and get full browsing / on the go FaceTime on my Verizon ipad

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I swap my AT&T unlimited data with my Verizon ipad mini and it worked fine except I couldn't get lte service. It was only 3G.

Quazimojo

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Auburn Hills,Mi
This is a situation where even if someone tells you it is OK to do it and there will be no problems i still would not believe 100% it is OK unless you get it from the horses mouth.

Some people have good luck and well you know the other side to that so it is of course 50/50 whether they catch on to what you are doing.

Since they state you cannot do it i guess that is there way of telling you not to or rather you can but do not let us catch you which of course can possibly happen.

If your unlimited plan means the world to you then i would say do not do it period as others have said AT&T is just looking for excuses to kick people off the unlimited plans already.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
625 views but no responses. Ugh. Depressing.
You didn't mention carrier info, but since your sig touts ATT I'm assuming..
Swapping sims with Verizon devices works like a champ. Not so with ATT.
I've tried putting my unlimited iPhone sim into my ATT rMini and the card is not recognized. I can't get it work. I've tried several times in the past year

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
You didn't mention carrier info, but since your sig touts ATT I'm assuming..
Swapping sims with Verizon devices works like a champ. Not so with ATT.
I've tried putting my unlimited iPhone sim into my ATT rMini and the card is not recognized. I can't get it work. I've tried several times in the past year

It's a bummer. I've been looking for an AT&T unlimited iPad plan for sale and they are SO expensive.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
It's a bummer. I've been looking for an AT&T unlimited iPad plan for sale and they are SO expensive.

Yes they are. I have investigated heavily with the intention of buying one but the cost is absolutely out of sight. Fact is, I just don't need it. I honestly do not watch very many movies or am not on YouTube often. My kids are grown so I don't need to entertain them in the backseat either. So 2 grand for something I won't really use to its capacity is absurd. If I go over my 6 gigs one month, I'll just pay for it.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Yes they are. I have investigated heavily with the intention of buying one but the cost is absolutely out of sight. Fact is, I just don't need it. I honestly do not watch very many movies or am not on YouTube often. My kids are grown so I don't need to entertain them in the backseat either. So 2 grand for something I won't really use to its capacity is absurd. If I go over my 6 gigs one month, I'll just pay for it.

2 grand? That is a lot. We sell them for half of that. But yeah if you don't wanna worry about data the plan is perfect. 29.99 a month.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
2 grand? That is a lot. We sell them for half of that. But yeah if you don't wanna worry about data the plan is perfect. 29.99 a month.

U are right. There is one plan I saw for 999, one for 1300, another for 1900 and still another for 2900. One of those plans had an iPad Air already set up that was part of the deal. Sorry, 2 grand was a generalization I shouldn't have made, but one grand is still too rich for me because I flat don't need it. Just want it lol.
When I started looking, I had cookie jared 600 dollars saving for an unlocked iPhone coming in Sept and I was willing to go that high, but I was disappointed to see that the plans going for that amount were the iPhone plans that wouldn't allow tethering and were shut down to a crawl at 5 gigs. I didn't know the difference at first and had to get it all straight in my head. You helped me figure it all out and I do appreciate your help. If I had one of those plans and wanted to sell it, I would ask what the market would bear also.
This plan is a blessing at any price for someone that doesn't have a way to connect in their living areas. This plan could be used to run your household computers, tv's and what have you. In that scenario it would pay for itself in a few months.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
U are right. There is one plan I saw for 999, one for 1300, another for 1900 and still another for 2900. One of those plans had an iPad Air already set up that was part of the deal. Sorry, 2 grand was a generalization I shouldn't have made, but one grand is still too rich for me because I flat don't need it. Just want it lol.

When I started looking, I had cookie jared 600 dollars saving for an unlocked iPhone coming in Sept and I was willing to go that high, but I was disappointed to see that the plans going for that amount were the iPhone plans that wouldn't allow tethering and were shut down to a crawl at 5 gigs. I didn't know the difference at first and had to get it all straight in my head. You helped me figure it all out and I do appreciate your help. If I had one of those plans and wanted to sell it, I would ask what the market would bear also.

This plan is a blessing at any price for someone that doesn't have a way to connect in their living areas. This plan could be used to run your household computers, tv's and what have you. In that scenario it would pay for itself in a few months.

Yeah I'd say if u didn't want the att iPad plan but wanted unlimited you could try Verizon. From my knowledge a phone sim can be put into a iPad and get lte. The 3G is throttled though

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I believe you can't create hotspots using ATT unlimited data, you have to switch to one of their mobile share or other data plans with hotspot to use the feature.

Yes that's why jb and tetherme is what I do.

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Yeah this has the potential to lose the unlimited. I dont think you are "supposed" to do the sim swapping. But so many people do. I like my unlimited so I will not be swapping it to another device anytime soon ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.