Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old May 26, 2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

Best 2013 equivalent of Canon XF300/305 Television Studio Work

I'm looking to order a number of cameras for television work related to live entertainment, and want opinions on what are good future proof cameras to get for this type of work. I like the XF305 but they are a little outdated and overpriced for today. I'd like 4K to future proof the equipment, basically I wish Canon updated their XF300 line up but since they haven't yet I need to know what are the best alternatives. Thanks
Old May 27, 2013, 08:23 AM   #2
MIDI_EVIL
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
I'm looking to order a number of cameras for television work related to live entertainment, and want opinions on what are good future proof cameras to get for this type of work. I like the XF305 but they are a little outdated and overpriced for today. I'd like 4K to future proof the equipment, basically I wish Canon updated their XF300 line up but since they haven't yet I need to know what are the best alternatives. Thanks
I too am interested in this sector of the market... I can't find a valid alternative.

It's a shame the C100 only has a 24MBPS internal codec.
Old May 27, 2013, 08:35 AM   #3
coldsweat
macrumors Demi-God

Currently the only 'camcorder' that is 4K to my knowledge is the JVC HMQ10 Other than that, your looking at large sensor high end cameras.

My guess is first half of next year before 4k becomes completely mainstream in a traditional handheld camcorder format.
coldsweat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDI_EVIL View Post
I too am interested in this sector of the market... I can't find a valid alternative.

It's a shame the C100 only has a 24MBPS internal codec.
I got to use a C100 this weekend at festival I was filming, I didn't get to see how the footage looked on the computer but the camera itself was very nice, but the 60i and 24Mbps codec made me not want it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsweat View Post
Currently the only 'camcorder' that is 4K to my knowledge is the JVC HMQ10 Other than that, your looking at large sensor high end cameras.

My guess is first half of next year before 4k becomes completely mainstream in a traditional handheld camcorder format.
Realistically I am looking at large sensor cams, which would you recommend? I know there are a lot of them out there and I like what I've seen but need some feedback from people who have experience with particular models.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video