Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Hi everyone,
The Air got a huge battery improvement, from what I've understood it was all because of the Haswell cpu. And we all knew Haswell was coming before they announced it in the Air.

So, what's the coming cpu in the iPad front? Do we know? I was just wondering if there is any predicted nice battery improvement coming in next generation.
Retina will just make the battery worse, so any improvement I guess will just keep it on par with the current generation, but I have no idea.

Trying to justify buying iPad tomorrow :)

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
Hi everyone,
The Air got a huge battery improvement, from what I've understood it was all because of the Haswell cpu. And we all knew Haswell was coming before they announced it in the Air.

So, what's the coming cpu in the iPad front? Do we know? I was just wondering if there is any predicted nice battery improvement coming in next generation.
Retina will just make the battery worse, so any improvement I guess will just keep it on par with the current generation, but I have no idea.

Trying to justify buying iPad tomorrow :)

Nope, nothing is much known about their AX chip designs.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Well the iPad 4 with retina gets 10 hours which I feel is more than enough for majority of the population. I doubt Apple will ever reduce that number.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Hi everyone,
what's the coming cpu in the iPad front? Do we know? I was just wondering if there is any predicted nice battery improvement coming in next generation.
Intel's manufacturing process is a generation ahead of Apple's manufacturing process, which allows them to produce desktop and notebook processors with unmatched performance per watt.

Apple has contracted with TSMC to manufacture A6/A7 processors on their 20nm process, which is somewhat less advanced than Intel's 22nm process. This will allow Apple to produce modestly faster A6/A7 processors with much lower power requirements or much faster processors with similar power requirements. Apple is expected to produce small quantities of these processors this fall (not enough for an iPhone) and large quantities by April/May of next year.

The display consumes the bulk of the power on iPads. Higher-resolution "Retina" displays consume significantly more power than traditional displays. Apple probably expects to offset a portion of the added power requirements of a Retina display with new, more efficient processors built on the 20nm process. However, because Apple's first 20nm processors are unlikely to ship in volume before April/May, it is probably unrealistic to expect an iPad Retina Mini before that time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.