Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:30 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

PayPal Debuts 'PayPal Here for iPad' for Small Businesses

PayPal yesterday announced an iPad version of its iPhone point-of-sale solution app "PayPal Here", boasting larger screen real estate and additional features like connecting to a cash register.

TechCrunch notes that the app marks yet another milestone in the expansion of the company's PayPal Here service, which debuted in the UK just two weeks ago and is now available in five countries. PayPal took to its blog to detail the new app:
Quote:
In listening to our customers we learned that while all love the convenience, security and functionality of PayPal Here, some prefer the larger screen of the iPad.

So with that in mind we went about designing a new version of the PayPal Here app that would work seamlessly and beautifully with the iPad. Some of the new features include:

- App designed specifically for the iPad
- Ability to scan an item's barcode for faster checkout
- Wirelessly connect to a cash drawer and printer
- Track sales activity in "Daily Summary" reporting
The app also utilizes*eBay's Red Laser technology so that merchants can scan items they sell into their "item lists" and allows for a "fast checkout experience" for customers.

PayPal also points out*that the app is designed for small businesses that want an easily scalable mobile payment solution. Users can also get a free card reader that pairs with the app and iPad so that it can read credit cards.

PayPal Here for iPad is a free app available in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: PayPal Debuts 'PayPal Here for iPad' for Small Businesses
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Squilly
macrumors 68020

That UI does look quite nice compared to their mobile app in Safari/Chrome. If only I had an iPad....
But summer tomato pasta salad is nearly $13?! Even those pancakes are a rip.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:38 AM   #3
japanime
macrumors 65816

It seems PayPal is still trying to catch up to Square.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
It seems PayPal is still trying to catch up to Square.
It all comes down to who is cheaper. Not sure what PayPal's transaction fee is but Square's is 2.75%.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:40 AM   #5
applesith
macrumors 68000

PayPal's mobile account process only takes SSN, and not EIN. Useless for any real businesses.
applesith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:46 AM   #6
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
1 - They're from CA.
2 - It's organic.

That's how you arrive at those crazy prices.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:47 AM   #7
iScott428
macrumors regular

So we have Square, Paypal, and Inuit no with mobile payment solutions for small businesses. I have got to say compared to legacy POS systems, these iPad or iPhone based credit card processors are so much better. If only I could have used an iPod Touch as a server with one of these card readers, split checks easily, and have customers sign with their finger...I would have turned far more tables.
2.2 GHz MPB, 2GB, 120 GB HD;2.4 Mac Mini 8gb 320HD Iphone 8gb> W 3GS 32gb> 4s 64gb W; 32GB Ipad Wifi> 64gb iPad 2 wifi+3G; 16GB Ipod Nano 6G; ATV2; Airport Extreme & Express;Apple Keyboard on Work PC.
iScott428 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Artful Dodger
macrumors 68020

Neither company offers a donate button within that specific swipe process, check area so neither are useful for certain needs of mine. I still just send an email since most have phones that can get mail so it's fine for now but it would be nice to have that added.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:36 AM   #9
MacVault
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to MacVault Send a message via Yahoo to MacVault Send a message via Skype™ to MacVault
Angry ANGRY - PayPal killed my EARDRUMS! LAWSUIT!

So I read about this new PayPal app for iPad late last night while in bed with my earbuds in. I download the app, open it, hear this feminine voice state, "Please remove your headphones immediately." It was like 1am, I was about to fall asleep. Before I could comprehend what the voice said, like literally no more than 1 SECOND later this new PayPal app kicks THE LOUDEST POSSIBLE HIGH PITCH TONE INTO MY EARDRUMS! SO LOUD IT WAKES MY WIFE AND OUR NEWBORN SLEEPING NEXT TO ME! I rip the earbuds from my ears as fast as I can but not fast enough. My spirit troubled. My sleep destroyed. My ears damaged. My heart racing. Please no nightmares!

What the HELL ARE YOU THINKING, PAYPAL? UNBELIEVABLE! You guys deserve a huge kick in the ass for this one! Come on! You will be SUED BIG TIME FOR THIS!!! There's NO excuse for this ****!

Anyone else experience this?

MacVault is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:53 AM   #10
nagromme
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVault View Post
So I read about this new PayPal app for iPad late last night while in bed with my earbuds in. I download the app, open it, hear this feminine voice state, "Please remove your headphones immediately." It was like 1am, I was about to fall asleep. Before I could comprehend what the voice said, like literally no more than 1 SECOND later this new PayPal app kicks THE LOUDEST POSSIBLE HIGH PITCH TONE INTO MY EARDRUMS! SO LOUD IT WAKES MY WIFE AND OUR NEWBORN SLEEPING NEXT TO ME! I rip the earbuds from my ears as fast as I can but not fast enough. ...
Yikes! That could do damage! To humans and to earbuds/speakers.

I didn't know these swipers received a signal from the device--I'd have thought they only transmitted. (Is that sound signal providing a bit of power or something??)

A second or two is not enough warning! There should be a longer delay, and the first time, there should be a button to proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
That UI does look quite nice compared to their mobile app in Safari/Chrome. If only I had an iPad....
Just the usual Apple Tax.
nagromme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:44 AM   #11
rnizlek
macrumors 6502

I'd appreciate it if PayPal came out with a PayPal app for iPad, so I could manage my PayPal account easily from the iPad.
rnizlek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:13 AM   #12
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVault View Post
So I read about this new PayPal app for iPad late last night while in bed with my earbuds in. I download the app, open it, hear this feminine voice state, "Please remove your headphones immediately." It was like 1am, I was about to fall asleep. Before I could comprehend what the voice said, like literally no more than 1 SECOND later this new PayPal app kicks THE LOUDEST POSSIBLE HIGH PITCH TONE INTO MY EARDRUMS! SO LOUD IT WAKES MY WIFE AND OUR NEWBORN SLEEPING NEXT TO ME! I rip the earbuds from my ears as fast as I can but not fast enough. My spirit troubled. My sleep destroyed. My ears damaged. My heart racing. Please no nightmares!

What the HELL ARE YOU THINKING, PAYPAL? UNBELIEVABLE! You guys deserve a huge kick in the ass for this one! Come on! You will be SUED BIG TIME FOR THIS!!! There's NO excuse for this ****!

Anyone else experience this?

You could sue them for ear damage. lol
szw-mapple fan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:51 AM   #13
fujitsu
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnizlek View Post
I'd appreciate it if PayPal came out with a PayPal app for iPad, so I could manage my PayPal account easily from the iPad.
Yeah, I hope they find time to make an iPad app. I believe it's currently low-res when you use the Paypal app on your tablet.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:58 AM   #14
drummingcraig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by szw-mapple fan View Post
You could sue them for ear damage. lol
Its not really a laughing matter. Tones such as these, especially when concentrated directly into the ear canal can cause irreversible hearing damage in an instant. I sympathize with MacVault on this. As a musician who frequently uses custom molded in-ear monitors I am always leary of inexperienced audio engineers for the simple fact that a wrong twist of a knob or punch of a wrong button could zap my hearing.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:18 AM   #15
steve knight
macrumors 65816

what gets me is the paypal app does not keep track of email or phone numbers. so you have to manually enter it every time. But I like it better because money is in your account right away. where square depends on what time of day you swipe
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:21 PM   #16
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingcraig View Post
Its not really a laughing matter. Tones such as these, especially when concentrated directly into the ear canal can cause irreversible hearing damage in an instant. I sympathize with MacVault on this. As a musician who frequently uses custom molded in-ear monitors I am always leary of inexperienced audio engineers for the simple fact that a wrong twist of a knob or punch of a wrong button could zap my hearing.
Sorry. Not funny. But seriously, you could sue them.
szw-mapple fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:26 AM   #17
dmylrea
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve knight View Post
what gets me is the paypal app does not keep track of email or phone numbers. so you have to manually enter it every time. But I like it better because money is in your account right away. where square depends on what time of day you swipe
I don't think as a FREE product, Paypal is pushing this as a complete, feature-rich POS system for a small business.

What irks me most is, every time I try to use it, I cannot get it to complete the transaction. Swipe, sign, ERROR. Over and over, making the customer have to sign 2 or 3 times. I've got good WIFI or LTE, but it fails to approve. This happens MOST of the time. Others have complained about the same thing. It's embarassing. When I called Paypal, they said disable BT. I tried that and it worked (one time), but not again. They even sent me a new swiper. Still no good.

Just not dependable for me.

A plus, for me, though is when it does work, I can accept large payments (over $1000) and get the money instantly. From what I remember back when I used my Square service, they have a withdrawl limit per month which means for large purchases, it takes a while to get my money. Paypal Here is a superior service, but just not dependable.
dmylrea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:18 AM   #18
steve knight
macrumors 65816

strange I never have had an issue with it. but it would be embarrassing if it happened.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:15 PM   #19
AppvanceTech
macrumors newbie

not worth it
AppvanceTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 02:31 AM   #20
Misskristen317
macrumors newbie

Ridiculously Loud

What's the reason for the unnecessary, loud warning to remove headphones?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

PayPal yesterday announced an iPad version of its iPhone point-of-sale solution app "PayPal Here", boasting larger screen real estate and additional features like connecting to a cash register.

TechCrunch notes that the app marks yet another milestone in the expansion of the company's PayPal Here service, which debuted in the UK just two weeks ago and is now available in five countries. PayPal took to its blog to detail the new app:The app also utilizes*eBay's Red Laser technology so that merchants can scan items they sell into their "item lists" and allows for a "fast checkout experience" for customers.

PayPal also points out*that the app is designed for small businesses that want an easily scalable mobile payment solution. Users can also get a free card reader that pairs with the app and iPad so that it can read credit cards.

PayPal Here for iPad is a free app available in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: PayPal Debuts 'PayPal Here for iPad' for Small Businesses
Misskristen317 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion