Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Hello,

Im about to get an iPhone 5 but Im into this situation... 16 or 32 gb. Im going to get the iphone with a second line under my att account and cancel that line after a month. That way I safe a few dollars from buying it at full price. The 16GB model is $199 so it sounds good but is the 16Gb model enough?... I dont have a lot of apps and photos but you know... Would I end up needing more?

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Well, this is one of the most subjective questions that ever gets asked, but personally I use over 16GB of my 32GB iPhone 5. Would you be in the same boat? Don't know. But for me it's due to my over 300 apps. I'm an app hoarder, and yes, I do feel shame. :( It really depends on how much you want to have to manage your storage. If you think you're going to be taking a lot of movies and photos, playing a wide variety of games, or think you may turn into an app hoarder like me (sigh...) then 32GB is probably the way to go. Otherwise, 16GB would probably be sufficient. You may have to do a little cleanup every now and then again, maybe not.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Im not an app lover.. Hahahaha... I only have 52 apps. The only thing I have that would need more gb is the music.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Im not an app lover.. Hahahaha... I only have 52 apps. The only thing I have that would need more gb is the music.

Well, music is one of those things that you can juggle to some extent. It just really depends on how much of your library you want to have with you. I'd suggest first figuring that out, then seeing if you can fit the songs into about 14-15GB of space. If not, or if it comes close, I'd go with 32GB for less headache, and future-proofing.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Its funny because I now have a 64gb iphone 4s and I never listen to my music from the phone. i have everything there but I dont listen to it from the phone. Im always listening music in my office with my computer. I think I wont be putting a lot of songs in the iphone

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
More.

I have 64GB. It came in handy when my backup hard drive failed. I knew all my photos, movies, books, and music were ALSO backed up on my iphone (and most of that then in iCloud).

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
More.

I have 64GB. It came in handy when my backup hard drive failed. I knew all my photos, movies, books, and music were ALSO backed up on my iphone (and most of that then in iCloud).

Music in iCloud is going to be in iCloud regardless of wether or not it's on your phone. That's the beauty of iCloud. ;)

Plus, for the 200$ it costs to get a mere 48 GB of additional storage, you can buy TWO massive HDDs for backup drives. I don't really see why you'd use your phone for that.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Music in iCloud is going to be in iCloud regardless of wether or not it's on your phone. That's the beauty of iCloud. ;)

Plus, for the 200$ it costs to get a mere 48 GB of additional storage, you can buy TWO massive HDDs for backup drives. I don't really see why you'd use your phone for that.
If you use itunes match...or it's been synced up there. The cloud doesn't get what you don't put there. It doesn't magically know what's on your computer...and itunes match costs money as well.

And, then there's photos
and movies.
If you don't put it on the cloud it doesn't get there. A 16GB iphone isn't going to get all my music up there...

ps: i had a terabyte backup drive, btw. That's what failed.
iphone is just another redundant source of backup.
And: it resells well.
I bought my 64GB 4s for 399 and sold it to amazon for 380.
Essentially my 5 cost 20 bucks.

(I'm fine, overall since everything but my apps was also backed up into dropbox, and then to my work computer).

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
If you use itunes match...or it's been synced up there. The cloud doesn't get what you don't put there. It doesn't magically know what's on your computer...and itunes match costs money as well.

And, then there's photos
and movies.
If you don't put it on the cloud it doesn't get there. A 16GB iphone isn't going to get all my music up there...

ps: i had a terabyte backup drive, btw. That's what failed.
iphone is just another redundant source of backup.
And: it resells well.
I bought my 64GB 4s for 399 and sold it to amazon for 380.
Essentially my 5 cost 20 bucks.

(I'm fine, overall since everything but my apps was also backed up into dropbox, and then to my work computer).

The cloud≠iCloud. I wasn't talking about the cloud, or about the magic that operates it behind the scenes, or those powerful wizards who are responsible for data management. Songs purchased from iTunes are all automatically available anywhere you have access to iTunes via iCloud.
Also, this individual seems to mainly play songs. I don't think movies or photos are very relevant to him.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
The cloud≠iCloud. I wasn't talking about the cloud, or about the magic that operates it behind the scenes, or those powerful wizards who are responsible for data management. Songs purchased from iTunes are all automatically available anywhere you have access to iTunes via iCloud.
Also, this individual seems to mainly play songs. I don't think movies or photos are very relevant to him.

Sure and I was talking about all the stuff that ISN'T bought in itunes...which, when you're older, can be a LOT.

yes, what you buy from apple is there.
What you don't buy from apple isn't. And in *MY* case, having a 64gb iphone came in handy when my 1tb back up drive failed.
We're on the same page, I know...

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
If you're the type that like having tons of videos/photos/music get the larger size. Personally I think 16gb works just fine for everyday use

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.