Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fzw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
having problems capturing HD video...

I have mac mini OSX 10.8, FCP6, sony HVR-Z1U & HVR-M15U, canopus ADVC110

Connecting either the camera or deck to 9 pin firewire computer will not recognize it, the ADVC110 is recognized. If connected the 4 pin out of the converter the computer recognizes the camera..but not Final Cut Pro.

The only way I've been able to get anything to work is, input analog video into the converter with the camera unplugged, then enter log&capture, then switch to the DV. Works sometime with the camera, the deck causes FCP to crash, but not with HD.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
First make sure you only have one DV device (camera, VTR or converter)connected to your Mac. FCP cannot function correctly with more than one connected. If you connect the camera -OR- the VTR to your Mac as the only DV device and it still isn't recognized, try using another cable or 4 pin to 9 pin adapter.

-DH

fzw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
yea only one I think is the problem... I think FCP counts the converter as one device and is confused. I have seen posts about the length of 4 pin causing problems on some camera's & have tried diff cables no luck.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I've had very, very, very bad luck connecting HDV devices to Macs via FW800. When Mac Pros had both ports many times connecting via FW400 would work fine but, on the same machine w/the same settings, FW800 would not.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Yes, FCP will definitely 'see' the converter as a DV device. Contrary to LethalWolfe, I haven't [yet] had an issue with using Firewire 4 or 6 pin DV devices connected to my MacPro's Firewire 800 ports, but I usually reserve the factory ports for external hard drives. I connect my VTR to a Firewire 400 PCI card, so that may be the reason there have been no problems.

-DH

fzw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
Ok got imovie to capture HD from the camera, but takes alot of time generating thumbnails.

Wonder if there's a firewire hub that does whatever the converter is to make the computer recognize it...have a hard drive that I tried daisy chaining a different camera, then neither the hard drive or camera were detected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.