Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dickweed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
:confused:...my on/off button is on my right...
...any suggestions... when I email a pic to myself... Pic is right side up...:confused:

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Flip your iPad around. The home button should be on the right. The iPad will automatically display pictures in the correct orientation, but it doesn't save the reorientation so they'll show up upside down in other places.

dickweed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Flip your iPad around. The home button should be on the right. The iPad will automatically display pictures in the correct orientation, but it doesn't save the reorientation so they'll show up upside down in other places.

hmmm... are you saying the ipad3 is incapable of sending pics in right-side-up form...?

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
...The iPad will automatically display pictures in the correct orientation, but it doesn't save the reorientation so they'll show up upside down in other places.

The first statement is correct, but the second is not. It does save orientation in the exif data (otherwise, how would the ipad know).

The fault lies with whatever software is being used to view or otherwise interpret the data.

Regards,
Tom

touchu4g

macrumors member
May 19, 2012
:confused:...my on/off button is on my right...
...any suggestions... when I email a pic to myself... Pic is right side up...:confused:

When you email the picture to yourself, do you view them onto a windows computer or a Mac computer?

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
hmmm... are you saying the ipad3 is incapable of sending pics in right-side-up form...?

If you hold any camera upside down, the picture will be upside down. This isn't rocket science, dickweed.

Note to the Mods: His screen name is dickweed.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
If you hold any camera upside down, the picture will be upside down. This isn't rocket science, dickweed.

Note to the Mods: His screen name is dickweed.

First of all: funniest post ever.

Back on topic: I agree it's not rocket science, but the iDevice does record the camera orientation in the exif data of the pic, but your viewer may or may not use that data "properly". I just took two pics with my iPad (mini, iOS6.02), in either orientation, and the thumbnails AND pics show up properly on my iPad (both right-side-up). But, when I transferred them to my Windows 7 computer, one of the thumbnails is upside down in the folder view, but both show right-side-up in my usual viewing software (irfanview). In another viewing software (Photo Gallery), one shows upside-down.

Regards,
Tom

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
The first statement is correct, but the second is not. It does save orientation in the exif data (otherwise, how would the ipad know).

Yes, but I said it doesn't save reorientation, I said nothing about original orientation data. The orientation EXIF data essentially tells the viewer software whether or not to flip the image to achieve correct orientation, so when the picture is natively upside down, it spins the image. If that rotation isn't saved so that the image is natively right side up, any viewer that ignores EXIF rotation data will display it upside down.

What I'm getting at is that the iPad doesn't re-save the image right side up, which is why it may show up as upside down.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Is your orientation lock on? You might want to unlock it because I just noticed on my iPad that unlike the iPhone, the orientation lock setting is not ignored in the camera, and thus your pictures could be in a different orientation.

For what it's worth, I have noticed that on Windows (7), lots of my pictures are in incorrect orientation because it doesn't seem to be able to read EXIF data, but they're fine on OS X.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Yes, but I said it doesn't save reorientation, I said nothing about original orientation data.
Oh, you mean like if he were to edit the pic on the iPad? I don't think the subject of editing the pic was involved, but you're right.

Regards,
Tom

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Oh, you mean like if he were to edit the pic on the iPad? I don't think the subject of editing the pic was involved, but you're right

More or less, though I was thinking more along the lines of Photos automatically reorienting and saving the image. Honestly, I don't know why it doesn't do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.