Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:45 PM   #1
omfgskyler
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
2012 MBA 13" i5 vs i7 w/ 8GB speed difference?

Is there a noticeable difference between the two? I'm considering selling my MBP 13... It's kinda slow nowadays and although I could upgrade the HDD to an SSD... I'd rather have the Air.. much more portable. I don't need the 256GB, but it's the only way I can get the i7. I'd save a good $400 on the i5 which I could put towards a Mini. Opinions?
omfgskyler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:32 AM   #2
Woodcrest64
macrumors 6502a
 
Woodcrest64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
For things like editing photos, surfing the net and checking email, then no. There is no big difference in terms of speed for those things. If you were rendering videos in FCPX then maybe a little bit. If it were a comparison between a dual core and a quad core processor for video work I would say a HECK ya. However the Air only comes with a dual core processor right now.
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina | iPad 1 | S2 Skyrocket | HTC One M7 | iPhone 3G | iPhone 3Gs | iPhone 5 | Apple TV 3rd Gen | Nexus 7 32GB 2nd Gen
Woodcrest64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:49 AM   #3
throAU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
as above you'll be hard pressed to notice a difference.

however.

the i5 and i7 may support different hardware features (forget off the top of my head in mobile CPUs). if you plan to boot camp, run virtualization, etc you may want to check ark.intel.com for the cpu specs you are considering to check that they have the features you need.


if that didn't make sense to you, you'll be fine with the i5
__________________
MBP (early 2011) - Core i7 2720 2.2ghz, Hires Glossy, 16GB, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
Mac Mini (mid 2007) - Core2 Duo 1.8, 2gb, 320gb 7200 rpm
iPhone 4S, iPad 4, iPad Mini, HTC One (eval)
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:17 AM   #4
jmoore5196
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London
I have both - a 2012 11" with an i7 and 8GB of RAM, and a new low-end 13" that I bought courtesy of the two-day Amazon and Best Buy sale. I've been surprised to notice no real difference between the two in terms of speed.

I concur with the other thoughts in this thread: The only real jump you'd feel would be if Quad-Core processors took the place of the Dual-Cores.
jmoore5196 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:39 AM   #5
Robyr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
as above you'll be hard pressed to notice a difference.

however.

the i5 and i7 may support different hardware features (forget off the top of my head in mobile CPUs). if you plan to boot camp, run virtualization, etc you may want to check ark.intel.com for the cpu specs you are considering to check that they have the features you need.


if that didn't make sense to you, you'll be fine with the i5
False. The i5 and i7 support the exact same extensions and instructions.
__________________
Do not fark with your Mac if you don't know what you are doing.
Robyr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:59 AM   #6
GoPro
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore5196 View Post

I concur with the other thoughts in this thread: The only real jump you'd feel would be if Quad-Core processors took the place of the Dual-Cores.
Does the i7 have quad cores?
GoPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:48 AM   #7
jmoore5196
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London
No ... the MBA chips are dual-core. But we can hope! I have a 2.0 gHz quad-core MBP and a 2.0 i7 MBA; there's quite a difference in processor speed under load.
jmoore5196 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:53 PM   #8
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I heard the i7 also consumes battery life quicker. I'm not sure if I would even sacrifice battery life for a little bit extra speed.
coldjeanzzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:50 PM   #9
throAU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyr View Post
False. The i5 and i7 support the exact same extensions and instructions.
see the word "may".

on the desktop it is/was different, hence my suggestion to check ark.intel.com
__________________
MBP (early 2011) - Core i7 2720 2.2ghz, Hires Glossy, 16GB, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
Mac Mini (mid 2007) - Core2 Duo 1.8, 2gb, 320gb 7200 rpm
iPhone 4S, iPad 4, iPad Mini, HTC One (eval)
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:06 PM   #10
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
see the word "may".

on the desktop it is/was different, hence my suggestion to check ark.intel.com
For the moment it works this way, quad core i5s have hyperthreading disabled. They're only available in desktop variants. The equivalent Xeon E3s follow the same pattern. The i5 and i7 are around a 12-15% difference in Geekbench. That isn't much when you figure the quad core macbook pros are more like 80% higher. I doubt one would be retired later than the other. 4GB of ram vs 8 is a much bigger difference than a few points in geekbench.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:14 PM   #11
MTD's Mac
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
For the moment it works this way, quad core i5s have hyperthreading disabled. They're only available in desktop variants. The equivalent Xeon E3s follow the same pattern. The i5 and i7 are around a 12-15% difference in Geekbench. That isn't much when you figure the quad core macbook pros are more like 80% higher. I doubt one would be retired later than the other. 4GB of ram vs 8 is a much bigger difference than a few points in geekbench.
I agree completely. I'm never annoyed by my i5, but my 4GB RAM is something of a performance bottleneck. With 8GB you should be fine with either processor option.
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro; 2.6 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, HD4000 // 24" LED Cinema Display // iPhone 6 16GB (space gray)
MTD's Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will I feel a difference by upgrading from 4GB to 8GB of RAM? (2013 MBA 11" 256GB) watermelonbook MacBook Air 33 Jul 3, 2014 08:53 AM
2012 MBA graphics vram - notice a difference between 4GB vs 8GB RAM? danistyping MacBook Air 2 Nov 2, 2012 06:43 PM
2012 MBA 13" default fan speed crazyxzer0 MacBook Air 15 Aug 20, 2012 11:39 AM
2012 MBA 13" 4gb vs 8gb RAM jmcghee0216 MacBook Air 16 Jul 29, 2012 11:02 PM
2012 MBA 13" Base with 8GB Wicked1 MacBook Air 14 Jul 18, 2012 10:56 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC