Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Thinking hard of another present for a couple people I know, with me as a 3rd :)

With the nearest model of Apple TV can I mirror Safari onto the TV from the iphone without any 3rd party stuff? If yes, how well does it work for you ? If no what are the ways to get it to mirror onto the TV?

Thanks!

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Mirror means anything on your iPhone 5 screen appears on the connected TV, so yes, you can mirror Safari.

How well does it work? It depends on how much clicking you have to do. If you don't need to click a lot, then it's fine, but if you do, then mirroring is pretty useless since you have to look at your screen to hit the target you are trying to click. With some practice, you can get pretty good at not looking at the screen, but ultimately, you won't be able to always hit your target since the screen provides zero feed back and the only reference you have going for you is your memory of the screen position relative to the edge of your iPhone 5

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
In a word, yes. Works very well although this may depend on what you want to use it for. If you're looking to share what you're browsing then it works well, there's a slight lag but this is more of an issue in games where quicker responses are important.

If you're hoping to mirror video, some sites still carry restrictions meaning not all web video is AirPlay friendly, even just by mirroring.

I think you'll be very happy with an Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.