Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hpittman92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
North Carolina
Hey everyone!

I need some advice. I know I am going to be getting money for Christmas and I should have enough to get an iPad Mini. I currently own a MacBook Pro, iPhone 5, and an Apple TV.

I was wondering if anyone has a MacBook Pro and iPhone 5 AND iPad Mini? If so, do you like having all three of those products? What do you use each product for?

I am a 20 year old college student and I use the MacBook Pro for anything relating to school, the iPhone 5 for texting and calling and always having something with me on the go, the Apple TV to watch stuff from my iTunes Library or Netflix on my TV, and am thinking of using the iPad Mini to take with me on trips or to class?

Let me know ya'lls thoughts!

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
Hey everyone!

I need some advice. I know I am going to be getting money for Christmas and I should have enough to get an iPad Mini. I currently own a MacBook Pro, iPhone 5, and an Apple TV.

I was wondering if anyone has a MacBook Pro and iPhone 5 AND iPad Mini? If so, do you like having all three of those products? What do you use each product for?

I am a 20 year old college student and I use the MacBook Pro for anything relating to school, the iPhone 5 for texting and calling and always having something with me on the go, the Apple TV to watch stuff from my iTunes Library or Netflix on my TV, and am thinking of using the iPad Mini to take with me on trips or to class?

I had the exact combo. Got rid of the iPhone for a Lumia 920.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
iPad is great for reading PDF and powerpoint slides for school. I use it on my commute and get a lot of reading done (of course, I take transit). If you drive, then you might get less value out of it.

Having an iPad doesn't mean you should get rid of your iPhone. The iPhone is great for when you aren't doing school related activities.

The MacBook seems necessary for doing homework. The MacBook has great battery life for that as well so you don't have to bring a charger with you. With the iPad by your side, you will definitely get a lot more value out of the MacBook as its battery will last longer because of less use while following notes.

The AppleTV is very good for at home and FaceTiming home. I mirror my FaceTime onto the TV. My family enjoys it.

nehope

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
I have all three plus an iPad 3. The rMBP is kept at work and used exclusively there. The phone is just that - what else? The mini is my primary browsing/entertainment/wasting time device at home. I do also have a Mac mini at home but almost never use it, basically have that for storage and backups. I use the Apple TV for the same kinds of things you do. The only superfluous device I own right now is the iPad 3 - having a hard time giving up that retina screen! Oh yeah, also have a Kindle Fire HD. It is used for reading because I haven't found anything that beats it.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I am also a 20 year old college student and I have all four except I have an Air instead of a Pro. I use the iPad mini for taking notes in class and general web browsing. It barely adds any weight and doesn't take up a lot of space. While the Air isn't extreme heavy or bulky, having the mini instead makes difference when you have other books you're also carrying around. I use the Air for more heavy duty/longer task. I'm a CS major and I can't compile code on the iPad nor am I going to use it to type an entire 5+ page paper. Also, when traveling, it's much easier to bring the mini. It's just more ergonomic than the MacBook.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Hey everyone!

I have three out of four of those things. I have a White MB and 1st Gen iPad, and an iPhone 5. I use the MB for my school related tasks (writing papers, etc). I use the iPad to read some of my textbooks and occasionally browse the web, and the iPhone for browsing the web, music, occasional reading, calling/text/FaceTime.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
I got a MacBook Pro Apple TV and iPhone 5 this year haha. Use to be all windows and android for me. I like the ecosystem Apple TV really ties everything together . I need an iPad because I use to have. Transformer infinity as a replacement of like a MacBook Air it was sweet having a detachable tablet and keyboard dock but for me it started getting buggy and slow so l sold it. Now I'm going to wait for the iPad 5 release and see if its worth it over a mini. If it weights less and is thinner I will def go for it as the mini isn't as "pro" as I'd like it to be

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I have a macbook air 11", 27" imac, iphone4s, ipad3 and apple tv (3rd gen).

I am using them quite a fair bit, but because of work.

As a teacher,

ipad + apple tv during lessons for teaching.

ipad for surfing web, checking email, light gaming, streaming youtube to atv and reading documents. Quite a fair bit actually.

I recently just got my air, in preparation for use in school next year, because I am fed up with the policy limitations imposed on the school-issued laptop.

Imac for gaming (via bootcamp), work at home (and shared with dad).

Because an ipad mini is far more portable than an ipad, you might want to consider selling off your iphone for a cheap dumbphone (to take care of your calling/sms needs), and 'outsource' all your other iphone functions to your ipad mini.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Play around with one at the Apple store. iPad mini might be good for you if you're not too fond of bringing your Macbook everywhere you go with you. Get one, see how you do with it for a couple days, if you don't like it, you can always return it within 30 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.