Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Playdead's critically acclaimed black and white platform puzzler Limbo hit the App Store this morning. Originally released for the Xbox 360 in 2010, Limbo is a 2D sidescroller that asks gamers to help a nameless boy navigate a number of dangerous obstacles in search of his sister.

Our sister site TouchArcade played the game last week and noted that the iOS version of Limbo incorporates the same award winning gameplay that made it a hit in 2010 along with intuitive touch controls.

limbo-800x600.jpg
Limbo made a lot of waves back when it first hit Xbox Live Arcade in ... wow, 2010? Yep, it hit in 2010. Anyway, folks loved its iconic look, dreamlike scenarios, and downright devious puzzle design, which often forced you to suss out a solution by dying. Thinking back, it was kinda a mean game but I loved it.

Now, Limbo is coming to iPhone and iPad, and we're pretty stoked to report that all the things that made Limbo the celebrated game it is today are all present. The only tweak we've noticed so far, actually, are the controls. On touch devices, you swipe and drag on the screen to jump, pull, push, or walk side-to-side. It's more intuitive than it sounds.
The game requires an iPad 2 or newer, iPhone 4S or newer, or a 5th generation iPod touch. Limbo can be downloaded from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Hit Indie Puzzler 'Limbo' Now Available for iOS

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Great game...

Loved playing this on the PS3, would seem to translate very well to the touch controls of iOS. And just for the graphics alone this is a worthwhile game to pick up, awesome puzzle game.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Excellent! I have this game on my computer and its great but can never find an excuse to play it.

Now just bring FTL to iOS and it'll be indie heaven!

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
This was a great game. I played it on my Mac.
I would love to play it again but unfortunately my iPad can't run it :(

System requirements seem a little steep. There's not much to this game. Would purchase if I could.

The system requirements don't surprise me. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on graphics-wise and it really needs to run smoothly.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
This looks like a total copy of Limbo with a few tweaks... I'm not inspired to play.

Be original and come up with your own unique game (IMO)

Then there would only be two or three games on the market. Most of the stuff out there is a copy of a copy of a copy of an original game that someone made almost thirty years ago. Especially on mobile devices, most of the available games are trivial casual games that follow only a fistful of basic concepts.

Coming up with something like Limbo is very hard. And even then let's face a simple truth here: Even Limbo basically is just a platformer/jump'n'run game, and that's a concept that has been around for decades and been done to death a million times. What makes Limbo unique is the artwork and the eerie atmosphere - there's ZERO new about the game mechanics in Limbo. So if you follow your own rule, people shouldn't have developed such a game because Donkey Kong was already there in the last century.

You can't come up with something truly unique all the time. Heck, you probably can't come up with something truly new anymore at all. Somewhere down the road, someone has probably already done it in one way or the other. There's nothing wrong by paying homage to a great game design. Often enough it's just the tweaks that make all the difference. Or, in the case of Limbo, it was the packaging that made the difference.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
This looks like a total copy of Limbo with a few tweaks... I'm not inspired to play.

Be original and come up with your own unique game (IMO)

Is it possible that a copycat of Limbo could be as good or better than the original Limbo? I haven't tried this game out, but unless I actually give it a fair trial I will refrain from judging it as not worth the bother. That's just me though. :cool:

Just checked the ratings for this at the app store. 5 star rating....also it is 99 cents as opposed to $4.99 for Limbo. Hmmm... Think I'll give it a try.

Last edited:

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
wow, impressive game. gonna play it asap...
apple is bringing really awesome games to their app store.

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
awesome graphics + great detail + puzzle = this awesome game.
i highly recommend it, it's a great game, kept me glued to my phone for the whole day.

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
awesome graphics + great detail + puzzle = this awesome game.
i highly recommend it, it's a great game, kept me glued to my phone for the whole day.

Completely agree. I've been playing it on 360 since it came out and it's depth, darkness, visual art, humor, dread, fear, comedy, and just general sardonic attitude and constantly increasing difficulty make it one of the best on all platforms, in my opinion ... and many others'.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
It has iCloud support. Game progress syncs between my iPad Mini and iPhone 5, at least.

That's great, didn't know that, thanks.

But hopefully they can also add support for Mac iCloud sync as well as I have the Mac version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.