Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Hi

I have several projects in iMovie - but I want to join all the project files into one .Mov movie for iDVDl

How can I do this - since iDVD won't join all the separate movie files into one.

I found having separate iMovie projects easy editing, rather than one monolefic (spelling ) project.

A free and automatic method would be ideal, but overall, I'm looking for a way to do this without having to register / buy.

Thanks,

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
There might be simpler ways to do this. I rarely do this myself. Anyway, this should work.

QuickTime 7 Pro lets you edit movies. In your case, you would open both movies, select one time line and select all then copy then move to the other movie, put the insertion indicator at the end of the movie and paste. Then you'd save the movie with the option to make it a self contained movie.

QuickTime X is supposed to have this feature, I haven't tried it with movies though I have edited audio this way.

If you do this a lot you might be able to put together an AppleScript that would join several movies using QuickTime.

burner72450

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
when you put your individual .mov files into iMovie did you try to export them to iDvd? this is how i merge all my clips together to make my movies. i film concerts as a hobby, and my files always end up in multiple .mov or other formats. i just bring them up in iMovie, do what i have to do with chapters and such, then export to iDvd, or whatever program i wish to use. iDvd works the best for me. hope i could help.

Stella

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
when you put your individual .mov files into iMovie did you try to export them to iDvd? this is how i merge all my clips together to make my movies. i film concerts as a hobby, and my files always end up in multiple .mov or other formats. i just bring them up in iMovie, do what i have to do with chapters and such, then export to iDvd, or whatever program i wish to use. iDvd works the best for me. hope i could help.

I exported to Media Library first. I tried exporting but I couldn't add them later to my iDVD project. Instead, I exported to Media Library and then added them to iDVD, which treated them as individual movies.

superdiaos

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
hi, I know some freeware also supports to join multiple format videos into one. Freemake(freemake.com) is such a great software, completely free. I have been using it for long time for merging videos. have a try.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Quicktime will append a video file to the end of the current open file. You just do this for each file then save the result. You already have QT on your computer.

The trouble is that ALL these methods will re-encode the video and you get some loss. The best way is to Work completely in iMovie (or Final Cut) so you transcode only once

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Quicktime 7 is indeed the tool for the job.

mark in and out times and you can cut and paste to your hearts content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.