Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
New York
First off, hi all. Been an android user for ever, bought wife iphone for Christmas after tinkering with it, I was hooked, went out and picked up iphone 5 , black, 32gb, love it, but have a couple of questions. With android I could pinch to zoom on all websites, regardless of which browser I was using, I have tried this with safari and chrome on iPhone and don't get same results. Why is this? Same sites I used on android, same browser, and it will do it with some of them but not all. Second question, I went to app market, downloaded some free ringtones and alert tones, went to apply them , and they are not in my sounds.. Where do they go when downloaded? I checked in iTunes they weren't there. In android once I download a tone it automatically goes into my sounds, scroll,, and apply. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.......

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
There are some websites that just can't be pinch-zoomed regardless of browser on iOS. Not sure why, but it's usually the mobile version of websites.

As for sounds, try downloading them in iTunes. Then drag and drop to your phone.

tys

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
There are some websites that just can't be pinch-zoomed regardless of browser on iOS. Not sure why, but it's usually the mobile version of websites.
Like THIS site for example!
It would be nice if pinch zoom worked everywhere.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
First off, hi all. Been an android user for ever, bought wife iphone for Christmas after tinkering with it, I was hooked, went out and picked up iphone 5 , black, 32gb, love it, but have a couple of questions. With android I could pinch to zoom on all websites, regardless of which browser I was using, I have tried this with safari and chrome on iPhone and don't get same results. Why is this? Same sites I used on android, same browser, and it will do it with some of them but not all. Second question, I went to app market, downloaded some free ringtones and alert tones, went to apply them , and they are not in my sounds.. Where do they go when downloaded? I checked in iTunes they weren't there. In android once I download a tone it automatically goes into my sounds, scroll,, and apply. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.......

Some websites explicitly tell Safari to not allow you to pinch to zoom. Usually this is done when in the mobile view of the site. One way around this is to use a browser like iCab. There's a setting in iCab that allows you to zoom on any site, even if the site doesn't want you to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.