Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:34 AM   #1
bonskovsky
Banned

Selling iPhone 5, how low can you go?

What do you usually get for an iPhone if you put it on Craigslist? I once put an iPhone 4 on Craigslist for $150, I got so many responses it was like 5 texts per minute.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:50 AM   #2
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

Check out Craigslist and e bay etc first to see whats generally bring asked for them.

Then hit for a price somewhere near that.
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:00 PM   #3
KentuckyHouse
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to KentuckyHouse
An iPhone 5 16gb in mint condition...I'd say somewhere in the $500-$550 range.
KentuckyHouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:13 PM   #4
braddick
macrumors 68030

^
Deduct easily 20% if it is a Sprint iPhone.
Add 5% if it is AT&T.
braddick is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:22 PM   #5
likethesoup2
macrumors 6502a

When do you think the Sprint iphones are worth so much less?
likethesoup2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:23 PM   #6
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyHouse View Post
An iPhone 5 16gb in mint condition...I'd say somewhere in the $500-$550 range.
That's almost full price?
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:27 PM   #7
KentuckyHouse
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by likethesoup2 View Post
Because Sprint's network is crappy compared to AT&T and Verizon. The user base is also much smaller than those others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
That's almost full price?
I've been buying and trading cell phones for a while now and I've yet to see an iPhone 5 go for less than $515. $550 is fair if the phone is mint. You also have to remember, when you're buying second hand, you aren't paying taxes on the purchase price, so you've saving quite a bit of money there as well.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:28 PM   #8
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Craigslist prices vary from city to city. Where I live Craigslist is terrible for the seller. iPhone 4S att goes for $220-$250, HTC one x and note 1 goes for $150, ps vita with games $100.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:50 PM   #9
djransom
macrumors 68040

I've been searching on Craigslist for an iPhone 5 for the past week here in Chicago. I've seen prices vary from $450 to $800 depending on size of iPhone. I've been trying to trade my 4S, but most people want my phone plus the cost of a new i5. If you have the box and accessories then I say $500 is fair. I just seen a couple pop up for $450, but sucks because I'm waiting on a refund from a package I returned so I'm dead in the water for now
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:17 PM   #10
KentuckyHouse
macrumors 68020

I will say this, guys. Buyer beware when it comes to Craigslist. I'll relate to you one of my recent deals that went horribly wrong...

I bought a HTC One X+ from a known member on a cell trading site (I know him from XDA as well, so I knew he was reputable). I used the phone for a couple of weeks off and on and then decided to trade it to another member there for his iPhone 5 (plus some cash on my end). We make the trade, he gets the One X+ and as soon as he puts his sim in it, it tells him his account has been locked and the phone is blocked.

It turns out, while the phone was in transit to him, AT&T added it to their new blacklist. Why? Well, in my digging and talking to AT&T, it was originally stolen from an AT&T store in Wisconsin. The first owner (the first person on the trading forum that actually bought it) bought it from a guy that advertised it on Craigslist. About a week after selling it to the guy I bought it from, the first owner got a call from a detective asking if he had the phone. He told him he'd already sold it and the detective took some information about the Craigslist buyer he'd got it from and said he wasn't in any trouble but to let him know if he heard anything else about the phone. Unfortunately, the first buyer didn't pass this information along to the next guy and I ended up being the one still standing when the music stopped and the phone was added to the blacklist database.

AT&T refuses to unblock the phone and won't reimburse me for the cost. My only outlet now is to file a dispute with PayPal, which I don't want to do because I know the guy that sold it to me is legit and wasn't trying to deceive me. But, otherwise, I'm sitting here with a paperweight (the guy I traded with returned it to me and I bought his iPhone 5 outright).

The carriers and phone OEM's are trying to kill off the market for used phones by implementing this blacklist database. And they're doing a good job so far, because I'm probably done dealing with it.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:56 PM   #11
corys00
macrumors member

I sold an unlocked iPhone 5 16GB White for $550 last week. Lowest I'd gone was $500. That's the standard price here in Orlando.
corys00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:21 PM   #12
SeniorGato1
macrumors regular

Sold my white 32gb Verizon iphone 5 with box, no headphones, 2 $10 cases, and 2 USB cords for $650 last week near Chicago. It was listed for 2 weeks and only had about 4 inquiries, most of them being low balls.
SeniorGato1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:27 PM   #13
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

I sold a 32GB iPhone4 a week before the 5 came out for $275.00. It was definitely not anywhere near to "mint" either.

I've seen 64GB 5's going for $900+ (Verizon) around here!
SLC Flyfishing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:33 PM   #14
cherishzm
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyHouse View Post
I will say this, guys. Buyer beware when it comes to Craigslist. I'll relate to you one of my recent deals that went horribly wrong...

I bought a HTC One X+ from a known member on a cell trading site (I know him from XDA as well, so I knew he was reputable). I used the phone for a couple of weeks off and on and then decided to trade it to another member there for his iPhone 5 (plus some cash on my end). We make the trade, he gets the One X+ and as soon as he puts his sim in it, it tells him his account has been locked and the phone is blocked.

It turns out, while the phone was in transit to him, AT&T added it to their new blacklist. Why? Well, in my digging and talking to AT&T, it was originally stolen from an AT&T store in Wisconsin. The first owner (the first person on the trading forum that actually bought it) bought it from a guy that advertised it on Craigslist. About a week after selling it to the guy I bought it from, the first owner got a call from a detective asking if he had the phone. He told him he'd already sold it and the detective took some information about the Craigslist buyer he'd got it from and said he wasn't in any trouble but to let him know if he heard anything else about the phone. Unfortunately, the first buyer didn't pass this information along to the next guy and I ended up being the one still standing when the music stopped and the phone was added to the blacklist database.

AT&T refuses to unblock the phone and won't reimburse me for the cost. My only outlet now is to file a dispute with PayPal, which I don't want to do because I know the guy that sold it to me is legit and wasn't trying to deceive me. But, otherwise, I'm sitting here with a paperweight (the guy I traded with returned it to me and I bought his iPhone 5 outright).

The carriers and phone OEM's are trying to kill off the market for used phones by implementing this blacklist database. And they're doing a good job so far, because I'm probably done dealing with it.
I would get ii unlocked for use with T-Mobile or T-Mobile MVNO SIM's (Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, etc). It'll work fine with that since T-Mobile does not care AT&T blacklisting this phone. It would lose some value but still the best way to minimize loss
cherishzm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:47 PM   #15
CEmajr
macrumors 68020

AT&T and Verizon iPhone 5's range from $500-$700

Sprint iPhone 5 around $350-400
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:58 PM   #16
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Selling iPhone 5, how low can you go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by likethesoup2 View Post
Sprints iPhones are worth less because people can barely get reception on them. It's basically just an iPod with Sprint's horrible service. If it was an unlocked Sprint iPhone 5, then that's a whole different story.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:51 PM   #17
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
What do you usually get for an iPhone if you put it on Craigslist? I once put an iPhone 4 on Craigslist for $150, I got so many responses it was like 5 texts per minute.
If u put up an Ad to hire sombody and ur getting thousands of replies, it means your jobs requirement is too low!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:30 AM   #18
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a

When the iPhone 5 came out my brother pre-ordered it and put his iPhone 4 16GB on eBay. By the final day it was up to 320. I think people just go mad and have to have it, because I saw many other iPhone 4's, some with bigger memories going for cheaper. I guess you have to be lucky and put it on at the correct time of day to gather the interest.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone