Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodyak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Here is what I have. 2010 Mac Airbook running OSX 10.8.2 connecting to a Windows2003 SP2 server over a good WAN connection (site to site VPN over a 25/10MB Internet connection). I'm also running Win7 and Win8 via Parallels 7 on this Airbook. When I transfer a 256MB file to my Windows server using OSX it takes about 5 minutes. When I transfer this same file to the same server using Win7 or Win8 via Parallels it takes less than a minute. I also find browsing file shares to be very quick with the Windows instances but quite painful with OSX. What gives? Are there any settings in OSX that could help speed things up?

freejazz-man

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I wish - it seems a lot of the sharing protocols on OSX leave a lot to be desired.

What are you using? AFP, CIFS, NFS?

woodyak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
CIFS.

Yeah, it's a big bummer. I have to open up Parrallels or RDP into a Win box anytime I want to do basic file transfers or when I try to browse WAN shares. Oh well.

freejazz-man

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
5 minutes for 256 MB seems a bit much - is the network slow aside from that?

I've found that CIFS can be especially slow when you are doing a mac -> windows as opposed to using CIFs to connect to a NAS. You might want to try NFS, it's tricker, but more stable once working and should result in much higher speeds.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Re: NFS ...

5 minutes for 256 MB seems a bit much - is the network slow aside from that?

I've found that CIFS can be especially slow when you are doing a mac -> windows as opposed to using CIFs to connect to a NAS. You might want to try NFS, it's tricker, but more stable once working and should result in much higher speeds.

Hi guys,

I concur, in my experience CIFS is very slow when going Apple -> Windows, but NFS is much faster and you can tune NFS to perform even better.

Regards,
Switon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.