Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgmorr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
DFW area Texas
I am helping a friend trouble shoot a MacBook Pro running Leopard. The name of the Macintosh HD has somehow been changed to a tiny little circle with an "x" it. I think this may have been done accidentally, but I also would like to eliminate the possibility that it indicates some sort of problem. Of course I know how to highlight the icon and select the naming area and just rename it, bit does anyone know if the little circle with the "x" means anything other than someone just accidentally renamed the Macintosh HD somehow? Thanks.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think it was just accidentally renamed. Renaming the hard drive has no bad effects on a Mac.

kylepro88

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
Nashville
I just renamed my main HD on accident and now TM doesn't work...even after renaming the main HD back to what it was. Repaired permissions. Nothing...any ideas?

kylepro88

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
Nashville
In what way does TM do not work? Is there any kind of error message?

"This backup is too large for the backup disk. The backup requires 575.29 GB but only 515.01 GB are available.

Latest successful backup: Yesterday, 11:30 AM"

Basically after accidentally renaming main HD while cleaning keyboard and naming it back right after...TM now wants to try and backup the entire drive instead of continuing with its incremental backups. I've never had this issue before. It wants to make a complete backup of the whole drive as it stands....as if it's new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.