Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
I really wanted some new emojis because admit it, they are fun. Anyone else disappointed with no new emojis in iOS 7?

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Emojis are defined in the unicode standard.

That means they're treated like letters. The cool thing about this is that you can use Emoji almost everywhere - in file or folder names, URLs, whatever. You could probably use them in passwords, too (just remember you can't type them everywhere, like on Windows).

Unfortunately, it also means that Apple can't just add new Emoji whenever they like.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I've written at length about this in another thread. To boil it down to the simplest possible way:

1. It's not Apple creating emojis, it's a unicode subcommittee.
2. New emojis coincide with new versions of Unicode
3. Apple can participate in this process, but does not have final say. This process is slow.
4. There are no new emojis to include in the latest version of Unicode

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I was hoping for less actually. Why do we need 4 pages of flowers again?

Amen, Armen.

And I thought Unicode was an international standard? Why are the symbols, and even the word emoji, so Japan-centric?

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
Amen, Armen.

And I thought Unicode was an international standard? Why are the symbols, and even the word emoji, so Japan-centric?

Because they were original featured in Japanese cellphones until they were brought over to the Unicode in the last few recent years.

Emojis listed long before, new ones are added when they decide to make more (not apple but whoever is behind creating Emoji's). They will not be featured until the Unicode is revised again, they don't use appear when they're added.

Basically once featured on Japanese cellphones and now they've come to the west via Unicode.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Really guys? Its just emojis, have some fun with your phone. They are fun to use, get the point across, and make it a little more enjoyable to text message your friends.

When iOS 6 beta 1 came out, I was really suprised to see such an increase in the number of emojis we had. This lead me to be pretty excited to see what they had in store for iOS 7. Its a simple tweak that gets people excited. Whats to hate about that?

When they weren't there, I was a little let down. Will life go on. Yes. Either way I wish they would have added some new ones.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
They would have made them all flat, they kind of pop on Messages now though.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I really wanted some new emojis because admit it, they are fun. Anyone else disappointed with no new emojis in iOS 7?

Haha I would love for more of the woman in the pink shirt. I probably use one of hers in every tenth message I send. It's a terrible and amazing addiction

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.