Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I purchase a lot of TV shows via AppleTV. I like how it remains in the "cloud" so I can access it whenever I want from another AppleTV. However, as soon as I open my iTunes and enter my AppleID password, it starts downloading all of the episodes! There used to be over 200 episodes, now it's just about 140. Is there anyway to stop this? I don't need/want the episodes to be downloaded onto my computer.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I purchase a lot of TV shows via AppleTV. I like how it remains in the "cloud" so I can access it whenever I want from another AppleTV. However, as soon as I open my iTunes and enter my AppleID password, it starts downloading all of the episodes! There used to be over 200 episodes, now it's just about 140. Is there anyway to stop this? I don't need/want the episodes to be downloaded onto my computer.

Actually, yes you do want them locally. If your show ever gets pulled from the iTunes Store, it may also be gone from your purchased section. You can't trust the cloud when it comes to licensing. I recently had one of my movies disappear from my purchased section since it was pulled from the Store. Luckily, I have it locally and backed up to a couple of places.

You can turn it off from Preferences>Store>Always Check for Available Downloads.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Actually, yes you do want them locally. If your show ever gets pulled from the iTunes Store, it may also be gone from your purchased section. You can't trust the cloud when it comes to licensing. I recently had one of my movies disappear from my purchased section since it was pulled from the Store. Luckily, I have it locally and backed up to a couple of places.

You can turn it off from Preferences>Store>Always Check for Available Downloads.

That's actually a good point. One that I didn't know happens. But, knowing me, I hardly watch an entire series twice. Episodes maybe, not the entire thing. Yeah, I know the whole thing is a rip since it can't be sold as a physical media. With that said, I was such in a haste that I deleted everything it downloaded. I didn't realize I left it downloading in the background and my 1TB media drive in MBP was down to 4GB. I panicked and just started deleting. Oh well.

I do save movies, though.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Actually, yes you do want them locally. If your show ever gets pulled from the iTunes Store, it may also be gone from your purchased section.
This is something I was just wondering about with regards to consolidating my storage requirements. At the moment I have all my iTunes content stored locally (~2TB) more than 50% is stuff I've ripped from DVDs but at least 25% if not more is content purchased from the store and going forward I will only purchase from the store.

For the portion purchased from the store do I need to worry about having a local copy AND a backup? It feels somewhat like overkill and I'm thinking that if I just store my local copy on my Drobo then at least I have redundancy. If my Drobo dies then, as long as it doesn't corrupt the data on the way out, I can simply put the disk set into a new Drobo and carry on...

Do others maintain primary and secondary copies of iTunes purchased content?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
This is something I was just wondering about with regards to consolidating my storage requirements. At the moment I have all my iTunes content stored locally (~2TB) more than 50% is stuff I've ripped from DVDs but at least 25% if not more is content purchased from the store and going forward I will only purchase from the store.

For the portion purchased from the store do I need to worry about having a local copy AND a backup? It feels somewhat like overkill and I'm thinking that if I just store my local copy on my Drobo then at least I have redundancy. If my Drobo dies then, as long as it doesn't corrupt the data on the way out, I can simply put the disk set into a new Drobo and carry on...

I have primary and secondary backups of mine, but that's only because I've always been taught that "one backup is none". I have my iTunes library that gets backed up to a Time Capsule while also getting backed up to CrashPlan+ over the Internet. If I had to choose, it would definitely be CrashPlan+ as your local backups can always be stolen or lost in a disaster.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I have primary and secondary backups of mine, but that's only because I've always been taught that "one backup is none". I have my iTunes library that gets backed up to a Time Capsule while also getting backed up to CrashPlan+ over the Internet. If I had to choose, it would definitely be CrashPlan+ as your local backups can always be stolen or lost in a disaster.
So I think you've got the missing piece of my puzzle, I was using Mozy but when they changed their pricing I would have jumped from $100/year to $1000+/year so I ditched them and haven't found a replacement.

Crash Plan looks like it could be a good option. My only fear would be that they suddenly change their pricing a la Mozy, but I guess if you buy in for 4 years then at least you're covered.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
So I think you've got the missing piece of my puzzle, I was using Mozy but when they changed their pricing I would have jumped from $100/year to $1000+/year so I ditched them and haven't found a replacement.

Crash Plan looks like it could be a good option. My only fear would be that they suddenly change their pricing a la Mozy, but I guess if you buy in for 4 years then at least you're covered.

Yeah, the price could change but I haven't seen it change yet. I also purchased a 2 year subscription for the price of one around Christmas for a gift so the subs do go on sale.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
Main media drive is 3TB drive at the moment to a mirrored raid as a back up. So technically I have 3 copies of everything but that will have to change soon as the 3TB drive is getting full.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Main media drive is 3TB drive at the moment to a mirrored raid as a back up. So technically I have 3 copies of everything but that will have to change soon as the 3TB drive is getting full.

Do you do any offsite backups?

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
not for that sort of media. That is simply for my tv shows, movies and music. That sort of stuff if I lose, its really just a bunch of work to get back, no a lot of money. Its low priority. My photo back up scheme is a bit different.

For photos I have Main working drive. Contains current projects. That gets backed up to a 3TB drive that contains the current years and the previous years photos. This includes, original Raw files, edits and JPEG conversions. That drive is replicated every month and taken to an off site location.

After every job the original Raw files are burned to optical media as well as the drives mentioned above (sans the off site) and put into the fire proof safe. Optical discs older than 1 year are taken to off site location into another fireproof safe.

Funny thing is, its the stuff that I back up that I never lose the originals.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA

Backblaze is really good and cheap at $50 a year. I have almost 2 TB backed up with them.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado

I keep the most important and most expensive TV shows on two different computers. Shows like the Sopranos which I enjoy watching several times a year would be expensive for me today to go and buy all six seasons again.

All hard drives will eventually die. It's just a question of when.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.