Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I'm not drinking the koolaid that apple has the best user experience. They seem to be behind the competition and are very good at marketing that. Hell, they launched the 4S almost solely on the addition of siri, which is still in beta, 2 years later, and still well well well behind the competition. But I don't blame apple. If they can pull it off then they should keep doing it.

zedzded

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
. But I don't blame apple. If they can pull it off then they should keep doing it.

Good point mate :) Why should they try and compete with rival companies, they can bring out inferior products and people will still buy them. Whether that will still be working in 10 years time, who knows, but for now they have no need to produce innovative and high spec phones.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
megapixels=more zoom. thus it is kinda nice to have/

Where did u hear this? The more MP, the cleaner the image will be when u enlarge it. I'm not printing 12x20" photos, so more MP means nothing to me. 8mp is way more then enough. better sensor, & better optics, lower f-stop and you'll take nicer pics then a 50 or 100 MP camera. Anything above 8-10 MP's are totally marketing gimmicks for casual photography.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Where did u hear this? The more MP, the cleaner the image will be when u enlarge it. I'm not printing 12x20" photos, so more MP means nothing to me. 8mp is way more then enough. better sensor, & better optics, lower f-stop and you'll take nicer pics then a 50 or 100 MP camera. Anything above 8-10 MP's are totally marketing gimmicks for casual photography.

Not so. The gs4 was shown to take better pictures than IP5. I dunno what the deal is, I've seen no drawback to more MP.
It's not like we can see the images getting darker and darker. I take a lot of macro shots and can see the difference.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
That's what was said but its all about manufacturing cost. They wanted to have to produce the least amount of models and cover the most amount of markets.

Then claim "oh its better a better user experience, efficiency blah blah".

But in reality the user experience is limited. iPhone 5 can't do voice and LTE on GSM as it reverts to 4G, the competition can. The iPhone 5 can't do voice and data on CDMA at all, the competition can.

So what's a better user experience? Obviously its more efficient, its less hardware doing less work (energy). But now its a moot point since battery life on competitor devices is about on par with the iPhone.

Nexus 4 did a very similar thing except to an extreme. No LTE, however there is only one model that covers most (if not all) GSM markets. No LTE sucks but its reflected in the price which is nice.

So it drops to 4G? So they don't have the extra antenna to maintain LTE for voice/data at the same time? Who cares? Do people really have that little patience for the extra second it takes for a web page to pull up?

They have their designs they like and if you don't like, there's plenty of nice phones to choose from.

I'm still on a 4S and have used iPhone 5's with LTE. So it's faster, big deal.

I also got use the first LTE phones and I'm glad apple waited for smaller more efficient chipsets.

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
I wouldn't be mad if it was true, but a 10-12 MP camera would be nice, I do crop/straighten/etc. most of my pictures, so I'd like something with a little more resolution.

And a higher MP count doesn't automatically mean the image quality will be diminished, the 4S blows the 4 out of the water, in my experience.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
The picture below was taken with an 8MP camera. The Galaxy S4 must be 62.5% better, basic math. I must upgrade.

IMG_06573.jpg

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
So it drops to 4G? So they don't have the extra antenna to maintain LTE for voice/data at the same time? Who cares? Do people really have that little patience for the extra second it takes for a web page to pull up?

They have their designs they like and if you don't like, there's plenty of nice phones to choose from.

I'm still on a 4S and have used iPhone 5's with LTE. So it's faster, big deal.

I also got use the first LTE phones and I'm glad apple waited for smaller more efficient chipsets.

This is completely besides the point.

The point was they used less hardware for manufacturing cost not for a better user experience.

Btw there are plenty of threads of people complaining about slow data speeds while on a call. Getting MUCH slower then normal 4G however some report its ATT throttling when on a call. I'm not one of them because I'm on Verizon and can't do data and voice at all at the same time.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Not so. The gs4 was shown to take better pictures than IP5. I dunno what the deal is, I've seen no drawback to more MP.
It's not like we can see the images getting darker and darker. I take a lot of macro shots and can see the difference.

I'm no expert on the subject, but more MP's can actually make ur photos worse. My point was that the sensor and optics are much more important then just bumping up the MP.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Especially when it's not really a 40mp camera. They are doing some creative math with their numbers to get that.

And it compresses down to like 12MP when it saves.

Its actually a 38mp sensor and when you save or send a photo its down to 5mp...

----------

The picture below was taken with an 8MP camera. The Galaxy S4 must be 62.5% better, basic math. I must upgrade.

Nice digs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.