Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Cscottrun
macrumors regular

A few questions about NBA League Pass on Apple TV

Hey all, huge Lakers fan, but im in NY, so for a long time now I've been thinking about purchasing NBA League Pass. Now that I have my Apple TV, I am ready to shell out the money, but I have a few questions first.

1) 720p or 1080p? If it matters, I have the newest Apple tv.
2) I can run an ethernet cord, but I have extremely fast wifi (50 mbps), anyone ever have any problems streaming through wifi?
3) Will I be able to watch on my laptop, or any other devices that support NBA league pass as well?
4) Any other complaints I should be aware of?

Thanks.
Cscottrun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:45 PM   #2
HipHopTrex
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
1) 720p or 1080p? If it matters, I have the newest Apple tv.
2) I can run an ethernet cord, but I have extremely fast wifi (50 mbps), anyone ever have any problems streaming through wifi?
3) Will I be able to watch on my laptop, or any other devices that support NBA league pass as well?
4) Any other complaints I should be aware of?

Thanks.
1. I know it's at least 720P, it may be 1080 not sure. I haven't purchased an appletv 3 yet.
2. I live with 2 other college members, and usually they're playing xbox and I might be online when streaming and we get 30mbps. It occasionally has issues, but as long as people aren't playing online it's fine. I know when they're out and a game is on I'm pretty golden.
3. Yes laptop. You just go to nba.com click league pass, log in and bam you're good!
4. Aside from it's cost(which is cheaper than last year) not really. I wish they'd add NBATV since I've pretty much cut the cord.
HipHopTrex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:34 PM   #3
arbogast777
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopTrex View Post
I wish they'd add NBATV since I've pretty much cut the cord.
Wish who would add NBATV? iI's been on AppleTV for awhile if that's what you're referring to...
arbogast777 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:53 PM   #4
bigcstyle4
macrumors regular

^ he means a simulcast of the cable channel NBATV.

Its going to be 720p since the majority of locally broadcast NBA games are on Fox Sports Net, which broadcasts in 720.
bigcstyle4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:40 PM   #5
adamcz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcstyle4 View Post
^ he means a simulcast of the cable channel NBATV.
Or at least stop blacking out games that they show on NBATV. I understand why league pass needs to black out ESPN and TNT games for contractual reasons, but when I pay $100+ to subscribe to basketball, it isn't ok for them to also black out games they are showing on their own channel. If you want to watch all 82 games for your favorite team, you need League Pass, ESPN, TNT, ABC, and NBATV. That's $600 minimum over the course of a season and I'm not doing it. At least with the ESPN/TNT games I could go to a bar to watch them. Nobody has NBATV so there is no way to watch without paying the extra several hundred dollars. Lame.
adamcz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:14 PM   #6
k12g3
macrumors member

All sports in the US spectrum are 720p. The progressive scan allows for smoother action and less motion blur with fast action. The quality should be better than traditional cable because it is a direct signal to your ATV and is not being compressed down through a cable provider. I have not personally tried NBA League pass but this is how it has been for MLB.tv and the NHL. Good luck man!
k12g3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:13 AM   #7
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by k12g3 View Post
All sports in the US spectrum are 720p. The progressive scan allows for smoother action and less motion blur with fast action.
That is definitely not true. CBS and other networks broadcast in 1080i. It isn't the sport that sets the format they are shown in, it is the network it is broadcast on. And no matter what the network it is shown on, apps like NBA League Pass are re-encoding them anyway so it is any format they choose. Plus, 1080p would definitely look better than 720p although there is really no need for them to stream at 1080p since it would only be an upconversion since no networks are broadcasting that high of quality yet.
bozzykid is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater