Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I've had mine in a case from day 1, I take it out every day to give it a quick wipe to make sure dust doesn't collect, and on the back, it's got these white scuff/ dot marks even with a case.

Does anyone else find this frustrating?

Sorry for the poor quality images

2E3pl.jpg

zpxgF.jpg

Bear87

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Well, just don't use a case. (Some) cases cause scratches because its a hard plastic material. I see it happen all the time, not just with Iphones.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I have a couple on the back of my iPhone 5, even though it has been in a quality TPU case (incipio frequency) since coming out of its box and never been dropped etc.

Can't imagine what it would look like after 2 years use without a case.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I take my case off and clean it weekly. You don't need to wipe it down everyday. The more you take that case off and put it on the more scratches you'll accumulate.

This is also the reason why I get silicone cases. It's not abrasive.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I always use rear protectors when putting it in a case. The 5 has the least durable finish of any phone I have seen. Anodizing is supposed to be extremely tough and scratch resistant, in this case it's worse than a thin layer of cheap paint.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Use a Front & Back protector. Most cases are cheap plastic which is not finished on he inside. The rough plastic scratches your iphone. Then when you take your case off.....

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I have being doing the same exact thing you have (cleaning the phone case and phone every few days) and i have absolutely no scratches on the anodizing...good as new! So IDK what happened in your situation

zandermom23

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Have never taken my case off IPhone 4 that my son now has and never had the need to. Got the same case for my 5 and will do the same.

jkauff

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
When I pre-ordered my iPhone 5 from Verizon, I also ordered a case--the only one available. There were no details on the website, but I was totally pleased when it arrived. It's very thin black silicone rubber, with all the cutouts in the right places. It's a very snug fit and totally unobtrusive, so I've had it on since I bought the phone--no reason to take it off. I carry my phone in my shirt pocket, and the rubberized surface prevents the phone from falling out even when I'm bent completely over. Highly recommended (sorry I don't remember the manufacturer).

iALLOUT4eva

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
PlayDay Land
Some kind of way my Otterbox Defender case has scratched the bottom of my black ip5 by the charging port but idc Im not crazy about those things #

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
best of sticking with none backed covers like a bumper only. then a front and rear screen protector. best form of protection.

i just think the slate scratches too easily in the 1st place, i learnt that when i had an ipod many moons ago. White, standard aluminium is the way forward to hide scratches

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.