Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Anyone else having these problems. I have a yellow blotch on the entire left side of the screen, with it being more pronounced on the bottom left quadrant. The right side looks nice and white. It's not the image I am looking at. If you move the image from the left to the right side fo the screen (same image) you can see the difference.

Battery life has not been impressive (drops maybe 10% per hour while in use and 2% over 11 hours of idle). And I noticed it is hot while web browsing or downloading apps.

I didn't notice any of this on the ipad 3.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
10% per hour times 10 hrs equals 100%, also the advertised length of the battery life.

screenshot20121128at115.png

Also, 2% per 11hrs, you're worried about this?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
10% per hour times 10 hrs equals 100%, also the advertised length of the battery life.

10% per hour will make 10 hours usage for full charge, thats good assumption. But u need to realize that from 100% to 99% took quite a long time and after that it starts flowing like river. Especially after it pass 20% mark, battery seems to have gone little faster.

This is the normal battery activity with my Ipad 2.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009

not worried about the idle. I'm fine with that. Just included some numbers to get a better idea.

Either way, numbers aside, I would say the battery life has been worse for me compared to the ipad 3.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
The screen on the iPad 3 that I bought last week has a nearly identical issue to what you're describing on your 4. It's simply a product of Apple's fine quality control. I'm trying the 100% brightness towel trick and if that fails, I'm going to take a trip to the Apple store.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
It took 4 tries for me to get an iPad 4 without yellow tints on some part of the screen. The 4th has a warmer white tone than my iPad 3, but is a bright white and has no yellow tints anywhere. The battery life is at least as good as my iPad 3. I would return the device you have - there are good screens on the iPad 4.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Yellow tint is common.

I opened six iPad 4s and only one had a white screen free of yellow tinting.

All had small backlight bleed in the lower left-hand corner (about an inch from the bottom).

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
my iPad 4 had backlight bleeding and got much hotter than my iPad 3
i returned it for a full refund and decided to purchase a 64GB LTE-Verizon iPad 3 refurb for $679

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
The screen on the iPad 3 that I bought last week has a nearly identical issue to what you're describing on your 4. It's simply a product of Apple's fine quality control. I'm trying the 100% brightness towel trick and if that fails, I'm going to take a trip to the Apple store.

What is the towel trick?

Yellow tint is common.

I opened six iPad 4s and only one had a white screen free of yellow tinting.

All had small backlight bleed in the lower left-hand corner (about an inch from the bottom).

Wow! That is the same place as mine! Wonder what is going on here. Do you guys know who makes the screens? LG or Samsung?

Is the yellow tint caused by backlight bleed, or is that a separate issue? How do we check for backlight bleed?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
My iPad 4 has neither of your problems. You should go to exchange for another one.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
What is the towel trick?

Cranking the brightness up to 100% on an all white background, plugging it in, and putting the tablet between two articles of clothing/linen so that it retains more heat and gets nice and toasty. I let it go for a total of about 20 hours and haven't noticed a difference, so mine is going to the Apple store when I can get there in a few weeks.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Cranking the brightness up to 100% on an all white background, plugging it in, and putting the tablet between two articles of clothing/linen so that it retains more heat and gets nice and toasty. I let it go for a total of about 20 hours and haven't noticed a difference, so mine is going to the Apple store when I can get there in a few weeks.

I don't think this helps.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
I don't think this helps.

I can't say for sure if it works or not, but my iphone 5 had a yellow screen and one night my GF slept on top of it. The next morning, I noticed the screen was VERY blue (bluest screen I've ever seen).

Of course, this is all just subjective. I have no way to accurately measure the colors. Take it for what it is.

I have heard that yellowness MAY be caused by glue that needs to cure. Body heat, linens, etc. may accelerate that process.

Supra Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Texas

This actually worked for me, no placebo. Went from slightly yellow to a neutral white. Didn't run it for that long straight or completely cover the whole thing, not good for the battery.

Did mine for two nights in a row for 8 hours, left the back exposed and propped up to keep that side cool. Put a towel to just cover the screen.

Looks great now, and battery life is great, getting 12-15 hours on average at 40-50% brightness. This is mostly browsing the web.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1352772/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.