Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harrison110

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
First of all, is this possible?
Next, can this be done taking the output from a program i.e. skype and the input from a headset (audio line in)?
Also, what software/hardware will I need and how much will it cost?
Finally, how is it done?
I need medium to high quality audio and am currently using a 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4gb 1067mhz ram and running Mountain Lion.
First of all i tried using soundflower bed (have used it before for single track recording) and capturing with audacity. But the multi tracking has been confusing me. So i tried aggregate devices and multi output devices but what seemed to be a logical progression to me seemed not to work at all...

I would value any constructive input.

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
I was going to tell you to create an aggregate device using soundflower as one of the inputs, but it seems that you've already tried that. You can certainly use Garageband to record multiple simultaneous tracks. Tell Garageband to use your aggregate device, assign the various inputs to individual tracks, arm them for recording, make sure your left and right markers are set, click record and go. It should work.

harrison110

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Ok, well heres where i fall foul in this approach. I can never get the aggregate device to take both inputs in... i thought i was having some problems with channels but even just having the imic usb in routed solely through the aggregate device doesnt seem to grab anything... the recording volume slide is at zero and wont let me slide it up... am i missing something here?

I know this is a really general question and i may be asking too much but can anyone give me a blow by blow account of how to do this? Something is not right but i cannot figure what, probably because i do not know enough!!!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have two AT2020 USB mics and use them with an aggregate device along with two analog mics connected to the XLR inputs on a USB audio interface. This works for me in both Logic and GarageBand, so that part is possible I think.

Not sure how you would get the output of a program like Skype into the input of a DAW however. Sometimes "analog is the answer"... if you have another computer that can run Skype you could just connect the audio output to the audio interface on your primary computer.

IF the volume slider in GarageBand won't control your USB mic, run the Audio MIDI setup program in Applications/Utilities. In the Audio Devices window, click on the USB mic and you should have one or two (for stereo) master volume sliders. You should be able to do this while GarageBand is running and hear the difference.

You can do this in an aggregate device as well. Click the little triangle next to the device and then click the USB mic and you will have volume sliders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.