Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I have 9,987 emails in my iCloud inbox, dating back to the early days of .Mac. These are all emails I want to keep but I believe Mail will perform better with less in it.

How do I even begin to sort all of this?

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
I signed up for Alto (from aol), which has this new concept called 'stacks'. Jury is still out if I'll use it long term, but I kind of like it so far.

Not sure it will handle 10k emails, but I think that is their aim... add sanity to your inbox.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks for the reply. I signed up to Alto a while ago as well, but never went much further.

I was just looking for suggestions as to what people do with such a big inbox.

I've never used Folders or Archives and just wanted to get an idea of some solutions others use!

Cheers.

spykthomas

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
I use Mac Mail at work.

When my mailbox starts filling up I copy all the emails from the previous quater into a new mailbox saved on my Mac. That way I can still search through them if I need to but it frees space in the mailbox online.

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
I 'Archive' e-mails once I consider whatever they pertain to to be dealt with. I also have a folder called 'Receipts' which is where I put any e-mail which is an automated confirmation, like order confirmations, receipts and despatch notifications. My inbox therefore has very little in it -- and if it's empty then I'm happy because it means I have no outstanding ******** to deal with -- yet I don't spend much time organising things into various folders, sub-folders and so on. Once I've replied or dealt with the matter, I click 'Archive' and it's filed away for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.