Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:57 AM   #1
moral-hazard
macrumors regular

Clicking hard disk on brand new 2012 mini - advice?

Just got a new mini about a week back and unboxed it today. The first thing I noticed is that there are occasional soft "clunk" noises (perhaps heads parking?), and then light clicking whenever the drive is doing work. The mini sits about 2 feet away from me on my desk & it is definitely noticeable. The drive is not doing any hard work at the moment (no spotlight indexes or backup running, it's basically just idle and still noticing the noise). I searched and saw another thread where a number of people complained about this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1483592).

I'm wondering if it's worth taking the time to go to the apple store and bug them about it, or if it's just the standard that these drives make a bit of noise. None of my other machines have audible HDD noise, so this seemed a bit weird to me. However, it looks like this machine has a Hitachi disk which (in my experience) tend to be clunkier / lower quality than WD, so maybe this is normal?

I have an OWC data doubler, 120gb SSD, and 750GB Scorpio Black on the way, so the hitachi drive won't actually stay in the machine, but was hoping to use the stock disk for time machine backups, so I'd like to make sure it's functional. Any advice would be appreciated!
moral-hazard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:05 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

I would take it in, it's new and any noise like that could be a sign of HDD failure. Better to be safe than sorry,
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:09 AM   #3
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

If the computer was a few years old, then maybe, but I wouldn’t expect it on a new computer. Take it in.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:10 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Have to agree with Macman45 here, a new drive should not make those sounds, I had a couple of 2'5" drives doing this after connecting them to a USB port in an internet cafe, they all failed with the same noises.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:16 AM   #5
calvol
macrumors 6502a

There were some threads on this before Xmas. It's likely the hard-drive parking the head every few seconds. Can't remember the details, but it has to do with a particular OEM HD and the firmware. Lot's of info in those threads. Good luck.
calvol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:22 PM   #6
moral-hazard
macrumors regular

Thanks all. Going to take it in and presumably they'll swap me out a new one. Worst comes to worst I get another one with the same problem. Just wish I didn't have to wait two days for a genius bar appt
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:04 PM   #7
moral-hazard
macrumors regular

Went in today. They weren't willing to help out with this issue unfortunately. The guy who helped me out at the genius bar said that 5400rpm disks rarely go bad and didn't think that there was a problem. Disk tests were green so they sent me on my way. I guess it doesn't matter, I'm tearing the whole machine apart as soon as my OWC order gets here.

For anyone having the same problem with the new mac mini disks, I'd suggest trying HDAPM to see if adjusting power settings for the disk helps. Or alternatively, just going aftermarket and replacing the disk with something a little nicer that's not made by Hitachi.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:20 PM   #8
bradbear
macrumors newbie

My 2012 i7 mini hd clicked for a couple of days when i first got it, has since settled down. Now I have no issues. Only noise i hear is the occasional fan noise under load. Hope this helps.
bradbear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:13 AM   #9
Moff23
macrumors newbie

I hear a lot of sound from my mini i7 2.6 , fan and hd read/write and some clicking. But i have very silent apartment. but f... it I have two years warranty and time machine
Moff23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:41 AM   #10
asknone9
macrumors newbie

I have the same clicking. I presume you have the 1TB drive. If you go into an Apple store and find other Mac Minis with the same hard drive, you will hear the same clicking. Although it's annoying, it's likely just a mechanical feature of this particular drive. Either way, I am curious as to whether or not it indicates increased wear.
asknone9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:57 PM   #11
TehHobbitz
macrumors newbie

I had the same issue with mine, I have the 500GB drive. I ran into the following thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...9#post16252659 and downloaded and installed the HDAPM tool from http://mckinlay.net.nz/hdapm/. Haven't heard the noise since.
TehHobbitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:52 PM   #12
pugger
macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue on a 1 month old mini. It just started a couple of days ago. I might give Apple a call but chances are the next one will do the same thing.
pugger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:04 AM   #13
Moff23
macrumors newbie

I think absolutely no mini is not dead silent. rather it depends on hearing and mends around :-) also my iphone 4s make some hig frekvenci thing but i can hear it only in deep night in our country :-) but as i sad i have super ears
Moff23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:12 PM   #14
moral-hazard
macrumors regular

I have the 500GB drive. Confirmed that HDAPM and possibly turning off 'put hard disks to sleep' helps the situation.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini