Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1
dave3lions
macrumors newbie

Screen sharing issue from Windows 8 to mac

Hi all, I have a mid 2011 27" iMac running Windows 8 via BootCamp. As part of my studies I have installed three virtual servers running Windows Server 2008 on Oracle VM Virtual Box.

It has taken a huge amount of configuration and gets more complicated as I progress through my work so instead of repeating the whole process on the MBP i'd simply like to screen share. I've had limited success using Tight VNC but the lag rendered it pointless. Can anybody recommend an app (paid or not) that will allow me to screen share from Windows 8 to Mountain Lion?

Thank you, David.
dave3lions is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:46 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3lions View Post
Can anybody recommend an app (paid or not) that will allow me to screen share from Windows 8 to Mountain Lion?
I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:52 PM   #3
dave3lions
macrumors newbie

Thanks GGJstudios that worked a treat. Your right, it's very easy to set up and I had it running in a flash.

There is a small amount of lag but nothing like as bad as TightVNC. My only criticism is some of the windows are scaled down quite small and difficult to read so I had to zoom in to the browser window. Not a big deal really and something I can get used to.

Thanks for the help

David.
dave3lions is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:54 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3lions View Post
Thanks GGJstudios that worked a treat. Your right, it's very easy to set up and I had it running in a flash.

There is a small amount of lag but nothing like as bad as TightVNC. My only criticism is some of the windows are scaled down quite small and difficult to read so I had to zoom in to the browser window. Not a big deal really and something I can get used to.
As for the lag, make sure you set your view options to optimize speed vs quality. You can also set scaling to the original if you prefer.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store