Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naz-dream-boys

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
I have had my 2011 27" iMac stolen last year and only just got it back from the police with the screen cracked :eek:. Since it was stolen I have been using a 17" MBP, and then upgraded to the 15 rMBP. The difference in speed between the regular hard drive in the 17" and the SSD was incredible. Now when I went back to the hard drive in my iMac, it seems so slow.

Since the screen is cracked, I thought that I may as well install the SSD while I am replacing the screen. I only really use around 300GB of space, so have bought a 512GB SSD. I have heard that when replacing the iMac HDD, the fans run on full because of the temp sensor. Has this happened to anybody on here? How can I fix if it does happen?

Anybody have any other tips on swapping the hard drive for SSD?

naz-dream-boys

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Why not keep the HD in and add a SSD behind the optical drive?

To be honest, I have watched a few how-to videos and I think its too complicated for me. I would be worried about breaking some parts, especially the logic board.

spit006

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
you can do it, follow the OWC video. I havent opened up a computer since I was tinkering with my 486 back in 97. haha. It wasnt too hard, take your time, be neat and thorough, and you will be fine

Took me about an hour to install the SSD behind optical

naz-dream-boys

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
i ended up replacing the 1tb hard drive for a 512gb ssd, the fans did run very very loudly at the start but i bought some software online to fix it - been using the imac for about 2 months with no issues :D

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
I kept the HDD and had a 256 gig SSD installed by a professional for not that many dollars and it makes a for a great machine.

ggamecrazy

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
A local authorized mac repair shop quoted me at 3 hours @ 99/hour. Seemed a bit steep to me. I can definitely do it myself but, im just worried about getting dust between the screen and the LCD.

I recently had to reformat my hard drive since it the DiskUtility informed me that the index key were totally on the fritz and it could not repair it.

I installed SMARTReported form the App store and my hdd seems to be working alright now. But who am I kidding I'm just looking for excuses to pull the trigger on a 256GB 840 Pro...

Anyone have any words of wisdom ?

EDIT: Did it myself with some tools from Amazon, including non-static gloves and industrial sized suction cups and canned air. Took me under 2 hours.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.