Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which storage option did you go for?

• 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm

Votes: 18 13.4%
  • 3TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • 1TB Fusion Drive

Votes: 62 46.3%
  • 3TB Fusion Drive

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • 768GB Flash Storage

Votes: 15 11.2%

• Total voters

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Hey all so seen a lot of threads with debate and discussion about HDD, Fusion and SSD, just wanted to see a numerical result of who went for which option!!

Personally, I've just ordered a 27" iMac with the 768GB SSD, but considering changing to a 1TB Fusion drive for the $$ savings...

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
First I went for Fusion 1TB with the idea I would boot faster from an ssd on TB. Then I realized that even the Fusion was faster than a TYB SSD because of the TB controller on the external TB drive holder which slowed things down some. So I am returning the Fusion version and going with the 768 even though a huge expense, and use the TB's as storage and TM drives etc.

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
First I went for Fusion 1TB with the idea I would boot faster from an ssd on TB. Then I realized that even the Fusion was faster than a TYB SSD because of the TB controller on the external TB drive holder which slowed things down some. So I am returning the Fusion version and going with the 768 even though a huge expense, and use the TB's as storage and TM drives etc.

How did you justify the expense to yourself? Trying to do so for myself :p

sergiobaschi

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
I took the 1 TB Fusion Drive. Should suit me well, and honestly, I would never spend the $$$ for the pure ssd. I have, hm, five external HDDs (4+2+1+1+1 TB), the three first are USB 3. The 4 and the 2 are always connected to my htpc (an Asrock, i3/8GB/500 GB HDD/Win 7 Pro), and I plan using that one as media server for movies and music (depending on signal strength -> wifi-speed).

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I haven't ordered my 27", I still don't know if I should spend the money and get 3TB Fusion.

At first, I figured just go with 3TB HDD but then I saw the reviews on Fusion.

Who knows by the time I place my order, I might just get 1TB Fusion.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
hmm at first i thought i would get the 1 tb fusion drive. however $250.00 is alot. In the end I may end up with upgraded graphics and keeping the regular 1 tb 7200 rpm hard drive.

I have some concerns of the way the fusion drive works and the amount of IOPS its using. longevity of the ssd may be an issue.

barokt

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
I couldn't see the 768GB flash based solely on general principle, $1,300!?!?!?

$1,300! ? ! ? ? ? F*^K-OFF Apple.

I went with a 3TB Fusion to go with a 3TB Time Capsule.

Now on 768GB flash storage $900 that's redicilious they drop price -$400 what is the reason for that and the other customers who paid Flash Storage $1300 it's not right way to do this they have to take back their money from Apple...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.