Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snoochieboochie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Hi All,

Please excuse my lack of tech savy. My mac has died and all my notes from well pretty much all year are on there. I have taken the harddrive out but I need to know what interface (?) to buy to hook it up to my new laptop.

Obviously I can see what is written on the hard drive, but it's all just random numbers to me, can I find out what interface I will need from the serial number?

Help would be much appreciated, the last year of my life is on that computer.

On a side note, the little wire that runs the length of the computer and attaches to the hinge area is broken, could that be why my it died?

Thanks

snoochieboochie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Yea see I thought it would be a SATA to USB I need but there is no SATA interface, after some further inspection and research I have figured it to be a PATA drive. Apparently ' Instead of a standard PATA connector Apple uses a 40-pin ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) connector, which Samsung offers as an option on its drives' which means nothing to me?

It's quite an old one macbook, 2008 I think, the drive has 2007 written on it.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Yea see I thought it would be a SATA to USB I need but there is no SATA interface, after some further inspection and research I have figured it to be a PATA drive. Apparently ' Instead of a standard PATA connector Apple uses a 40-pin ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) connector, which Samsung offers as an option on its drives' which means nothing to me?

It's quite an old one macbook, 2008 I think, the drive has 2007 written on it.

What about this one?

http://www.cubeternet.com/servlet/Detail?no=25

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Uh...

Every Macbook, starting with its intro in 2006, has come with a Serial-ATA HD.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

No.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+Models+A1237+and+A1304+Hard+Drive+Replacement/860/2

EiDsvO1dgsuZCDbS.medium

snoochieboochie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013

I may be a novice but I'm not blind haha, I am holding the thing, I can tell it's not a SATA drive haha

----------

Thanks very much for your help guys :D

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Macbook

To the two people pointing about MacBook Airs...

I said MacBook. MACBOOK. Not MBP or MBA.

M A C B O O K.

While I obviously read the headline wrong, most of you were wrong in correcting me.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
To the two people pointing about MacBook Airs...

I said MacBook. MACBOOK. Not MBP or MBA.

M A C B O O K.

While I obviously read the headline wrong, most of you were wrong in correcting me.

in the macbook air subsection, in a thread discussing macbook airs, its safe to assume you were referring to that version of macbook.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
No

A Macbook Air is a Macbook, it's about a Macbook Air so you were wrong.

I already said I was wrong.

And a MacBook is not the same as a MacBook Air.

I've already said I read the title incorrectly.

----------

Yeah, ***** you guys. I was trying to help, made a mistake, admitted to my mistake, and asked that people correct me based on what I said, not what you inferred.

THANKS FOR REPEATEDLY POINTING OUT A MISTAKE I'VE ALREADY ADMITTED TO MAKING.

Mods: I'll log out now. One week ban? Okay!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I already said I was wrong.

And a MacBook is not the same as a MacBook Air.

I've already said I read the title incorrectly.

----------

Yeah, ***** you guys. I was trying to help, made a mistake, admitted to my mistake, and asked that people correct me based on what I said, not what you inferred.

THANKS FOR REPEATEDLY POINTING OUT A MISTAKE I'VE ALREADY ADMITTED TO MAKING.

Mods: I'll log out now. One week ban? Okay!

Banned for what, you didn't swear did you, nothing wrong here.

Nothing wrong with pointing out the Air had a different HD than you said.

Don't be offended.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Kinda nostalgic to find the first Airs had real hard drive in them. At the time, solid state drives were like expensive novelty, now we just expect it.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Kinda nostalgic to find the first Airs had real hard drive in them. At the time, solid state drives were like expensive novelty, now we just expect it.

Watched the intro of the Air in 2008 (?) and Steve Jobs said, "It will come with an 80 GB hard drive (!), configurable with a 64 GB SSD. Expensive, but really fast." If he said it was expensive, you know they were expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.