Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Finox831
macrumors member

Made first big purchase and bought a used Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr but its broken?

Here is a video using the lens that may explain why I think its broken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-QzxfUaTZ0

As title says, I was finally able to save up $1200 to buy my first big lens. Bought it from an ebay camera company that's located in Ohio, they go by the name of ColumbusCameraGroup. I felt good about the purchase because they had really good rating (32,000 with 99.4% positive) and the lens seemed in nearly perfect condition. I got it today after a week, which seemed more like a year. I start taking pictures with it right away and did some video to try it out. The pictures came out pretty smooth but noticed when zooming in and out during video i started hearing these scraping noises so I decided to look into it a bit more by taking it to my local camera shop to have it looked at. The guy at the camera shop ended up taking a few test shots and moving things around to make sure everything works, and he ended up telling me the VR doesn't work and there was no sense in having it fixed since it would cost a lot. I'm not sure how my VR doesn't work when I hear the inside motor turning to focus. I turned VR off as well and it made no noise/motor wasn't going, then, I turned it back on and the interior motor starting working again (does this mean VR does work?). To sum it up, I'm not sure if my lens is broken or what the scraping noise is, could someone help me on what to do?

Thank you!

Last edited by Finox831; Apr 30, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Finox831 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Consultant
macrumors G5

Since you already talked to a camera shop, and they think it's defective, you should talk to the seller to arrange a return / refund.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 04:05 AM   #3
ChrisA
macrumors G4

The noise alone, without any other defects is enough reason to return the Lens.

But you paid t=less then 1/2 price for it. Check the Nikon web site and seewhat they charge to repair. There is an on-line quote system
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 04:22 AM   #4
eawmp1
macrumors 601

Can't say if your VR is broken, but my experience with video on A Nikon D7000 is that unless I have an external mike, the internal mike picks up lens tracking noise.

After research, I've found the consensus solution for video is a fixed focal length lens and manual focus. I get good results with the 24 mm 1.8.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 05:45 AM   #5
/"\/oo\/"\
macrumors regular

Since it was dead out of the box and doesn't match the seller's description, I'd get in touch with the seller immediately to arrange a refund, exchange or whatever solution you both find satisfactory.

It's worth noting that pretty much any VR/IS system along with the focusing motor is going to make some noise, and given the proximity to the camera's built in mic, those noises are almost always going to get picked up whilst recording video using the built in mic.
/"\/oo\/"\ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 09:26 AM   #6
ocabj
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post
Can't say if your VR is broken, but my experience with video on A Nikon D7000 is that unless I have an external mike, the internal mike picks up lens tracking noise.
This.

The internal mics will pick up VR/IS motor noise.

As far as whether or not the VR is broken, it's pretty easy to tell. Handhold, look at a point and watch the center point in the focusing screen / viewfinder wobble. Then half press the shutter button to get the VR/IS to turn on and see if the wobble stabilizes.
ocabj is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography