Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old May 29, 2013, 06:46 PM   #1
TedM
macrumors 6502

Can you be threatening while nursing a puppy?

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/ripti...hoke_black.php

Apparently the police think so....
Old May 29, 2013, 08:03 PM   #2
filmbuff
macrumors 6502a

These stories are always missing the part about what happened that led up to this, but I lol'd when the cop said "when he drew back from officers and closed his fists, that's threatening and the officers had to neutralize the threat." Apparently while holding a puppy.
filmbuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 10:20 PM   #3
tech4all
macrumors 68030

Whenever I hear about cops abusing their power, it always reminds me of this classic scene from Family Matters.

Last edited by dejo; Jun 1, 2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: please use [youtube] tags.
tech4all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 08:31 AM   #4
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

That article just shows one side of the story. Wait until after the trial to decide if the officers actions were justified. That cell phone video is useless too. All it shows is the incident after all the reportedly innocent behavior occurred. Of course the actual original video may show the full incident but the media loves to edit videos for maximum indignation.

If they were not justified and the arresting officer had no probable cause to arrest. Then the teen had every right to resist arrest as it would be an unlawful order, at least under GA state law. I'm just assuming FL is similar.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Huntn
macrumors 603

If the article reports the event accurately, then the Officers should be dismissed and tried for assault.

Quote:
Fourteen-year-old Tremaine McMillian didn't threaten police. He didn't attack them. He wasn't armed. All the black teenager did was appear threatening by shooting Miami-Dade police officers a few "dehumanizing stares," and that was apparently enough for the officers to decide to slam him against the ground and put him in a chokehold.
We are not living in a police state, at least not yet.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 04:18 PM   #6
DaKKs
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityg4 View Post
Then the teen had every right to resist arrest as it would be an unlawful order, at least under GA state law. I'm just assuming FL is similar.
Seriously? That's actually a law? Considering how many americans end up with bullets in their backs for resisting arrests, that surprising. You must have surprisingly good cops if all of their arrests are kosher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
We are not living in a police state, at least not yet.
Say what you want about the US and their Police officers. At least the US has a justice system that can actually convict Police officers. Here, they simply dont. And if some miracle he/she does get convicted of anything, he/she still has a job with no repercussions (lowered pay, demotion etc.).
Old May 30, 2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
Whenever I hear about cops abusing their power, it always reminds me of this classic scene from Family Matters.

YouTube: video
I thought that show was a comedy. Where the hell is Urkelbot when you need him

Last edited by dejo; Jun 1, 2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: quoted post edited.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 10:27 AM   #8
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
I thought that show was a comedy. Where the hell is Urkelbot when you need him

Every long running comedy has to do at least one "very special episode". I recall Diff'rent Strokes doing one on kid touchers and Growing Pains doing one where a kid dies from drunk driving.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:05 AM   #9
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKKs View Post
Seriously? That's actually a law? Considering how many americans end up with bullets in their backs for resisting arrests, that surprising. You must have surprisingly good cops if all of their arrests are kosher.
It sure is. I was on jury duty a week ago. One of the charges was resisting arrest. The judge specifically mentioned before deliberation that a person has a legal right to resist arrest if the arrest isn't a lawful order. For it to be a lawful order the officer needs sufficient probable cause to perform the arrest.

It was also in the pertinent laws printed for us to dissect during deliberations. He was convicted but only on a technicality of another Georgia law that does not exist in many other states.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Notice in the video the obligatory and repeated chanting of "stop resisting!" This, to a 14-year-old scrawny boy, pinned down by two grown "men"--one holding him in a chokehold. Anyone who thinks screaming "stop resisting!" in such situations is anything other than covering-your-ass needs to wake up.

Is there a chance for video? Start the stop resisting chant...

Michael

Last edited by dejo; May 31, 2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: removed extra white space.
Tinmania is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 01:00 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
That article just shows one side of the story. Wait until after the trial to decide if the officers actions were justified. That cell phone video is useless too. All it shows is the incident after all the reportedly innocent behavior occurred. Of course the actual original video may show the full incident but the media loves to edit videos for maximum indignation.
Agreed. There might be more to the story than we know.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:46 AM   #12
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

One thing I hate more than rotten cops are rotten cop apologists. And there is plenty of apologizing going on here.

What ever this kid say or did to these pigs does not justify him being pinned down by two grown "men" who want to be a couple of "tough guys". What kind of "tough guy" picks on a person much weaker than they are?
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:56 AM   #13
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
One thing I hate more than rotten cops are rotten cop apologists. And there is plenty of apologizing going on here.

What ever this kid say or did to these pigs does not justify him being pinned down by two grown "men" who want to be a couple of "tough guys". What kind of "tough guy" picks on a person much weaker than they are?
You can't seriously think that people believing there is more to this story are acting as apologists, can you? I agree, there is more to this story but I do agree that pinning him to the ground was unnecessary. My guess is there was something that led up to this but nothing that suggests he should be sat on by two men. He is not a total lightweight, but let's get real. BTW, calling a cop a "pig" doesn't make you a badass.

As for the mom, she's even worse. If you are so worried about your child then how are you that calm at that moment? She just happens to calmly pull out the cell phone and starts filming?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:17 PM   #14
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
You can't seriously think that people believing there is more to this story are acting as apologists, can you? I agree, there is more to this story but I do agree that pinning him to the ground was unnecessary. My guess is there was something that led up to this but nothing that suggests he should be sat on by two men. He is not a total lightweight, but let's get real. BTW, calling a cop a "pig" doesn't make you a badass.

As for the mom, she's even worse. If you are so worried about your child then how are you that calm at that moment? She just happens to calmly pull out the cell phone and starts filming?

I'm sure there is more to the story but who can we believe at this point? I think the cops will say anything to ensure they don't get in any trouble while the court believes their every word. The only thing unbiased is the scene the camera recorded. Apparently, the threatening act that caused the two officers to pin this kid was him walking away with puppy in hand, life threatening against the two officers isn't it?

Concerning his mother, what do you expect her to do, pull the thugs off her kid and risk being pinned down herself?

As for everything else..... In my personal experience, I cannot take a cop's word about anything these days as I've been on the receiving end of police misconduct. People who ask for the cop's story typically end up apologizing for them as a whole. And the "pig" comment is my personal opinion about rotten cops, not what you think of me.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:42 PM   #15
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

^ Understood. As far as the mother is concerned, she is simply calm. It seems odd. I don't expect her to be jumping on the cops, but it was just a calm situation, for her. That's the impression I got, it could be wrong.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:48 PM   #16
7enderbender
macrumors 6502

Look, this kind of stuff will always look ridiculous on a police report based on the legalese they have to use. And the press is too PC to call out what really happened. So two gang members, one with a pit pull puppy were displaying public aggression ("roughhousing"). Anyone who has ever witnessed what can happen next will understand that the police did the right thing here by checking things out. And instead of saying "yes, officers" and "no problem" the little punk acted up and got arrested - which he then resisted.

In the end there is nothing to see here other than watching the poor kid on his path to becoming a full fledged criminal and end up in jail after probably causing hopefully not too much damage while "roughhousing" and walking the hood with pit bulls.

And before somebody calls me a stupid racist: I'm actually sympathetic to these poor kids. They grow up with no role models and are actively marginalized by a system that is pretending to help them (schools, social workers, social security offices, local, state and federal government, you name it). But it's not the police officers fault in that sense. They just have to deal with the clean-up in the end. Or worse.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 01:43 PM   #17
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
Look, this kind of stuff will always look ridiculous on a police report based on the legalese they have to use. And the press is too PC to call out what really happened. So two gang members, one with a pit pull puppy were displaying public aggression ("roughhousing"). Anyone who has ever witnessed what can happen next will understand that the police did the right thing here by checking things out. And instead of saying "yes, officers" and "no problem" the little punk acted up and got arrested - which he then resisted.

In the end there is nothing to see here other than watching the poor kid on his path to becoming a full fledged criminal and end up in jail after probably causing hopefully not too much damage while "roughhousing" and walking the hood with pit bulls.

And before somebody calls me a stupid racist: I'm actually sympathetic to these poor kids. They grow up with no role models and are actively marginalized by a system that is pretending to help them (schools, social workers, social security offices, local, state and federal government, you name it). But it's not the police officers fault in that sense. They just have to deal with the clean-up in the end. Or worse.
I won't call you anything. Your own words were enough to do that. I will only surmise you would rather it be 1952, in Birmingham. Good luck with that, cupcake.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 04:23 PM   #18
wackymacky
macrumors 65816

Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
Quote:

If they were not justified and the arresting officer had no probable cause to arrest. Then the teen had every right to resist arrest as it would be an unlawful order, at least under GA state law. I'm just assuming FL is similar.
I'm not sure what country you live in. Being wrongfully detained, arrested or otherwise harrased is NOT a defence for resisting arrest. And if you avoid being tazered, shot or beaten you will still be able to be charged with resisting or obstruction EVEN if the origional thing the police stopped you for was invalid.

Your best situation is to be polite, say nothing, don't consent to a search (but don't physically resist one) and let your lawyer argue if they had probable cause or otherwise breached your rights.

You can never win an argument on the street with a cop whose holding a weapon and pair of handcuffs.
wackymacky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:31 AM   #19
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymacky View Post
I'm not sure what country you live in. Being wrongfully detained, arrested or otherwise harrased is NOT a defence for resisting arrest. And if you avoid being tazered, shot or beaten you will still be able to be charged with resisting or obstruction EVEN if the origional thing the police stopped you for was invalid.

Your best situation is to be polite, say nothing, don't consent to a search (but don't physically resist one) and let your lawyer argue if they had probable cause or otherwise breached your rights.

You can never win an argument on the street with a cop whose holding a weapon and pair of handcuffs.
In the United States in the State of Georgia. It is legal. If the officer does not have probable cause to arrest. You have every right to defend yourself. The judge was very clear about that before we began deliberation.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:31 PM   #20
tbrinkma
macrumors 65816

Quote:
In the United States in the State of Georgia. It is legal. If the officer does not have probable cause to arrest. You have every right to defend yourself. The judge was very clear about that before we began deliberation.
It's actually legal in *most* states. It's just very rarely *mentioned* to anyone.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:42 PM   #21
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymacky View Post

This "country" would not exist if the folks who founded it thought like you.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 05:24 PM   #22
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
This "country" would not exist if the folks who founded it thought like you.

Michael
Well, technically.... it probably would exist. It would just look different. The US was not the only or even the 1st British Colony. Virtually all the former British colonies are now happily independent without a bloody revolution.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events