Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2008
I have an iPad 3 so I know what retina on an iPad looks like; therefore, I naturally can't stand the non-retina screen on the mini. I keep telling myself that I'm going to return it but it seems kinda dumb considering I have been using it since I bought it. Games are perfect. I may just keep both iPads, one for reading and the other for games and movies. Anybody else find that they keep using the mini even though the screen is a couple years out of date?

LarryB08

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
I have an iPad 3 so I know what retina on an iPad looks like; therefore, I naturally can't stand the non-retina screen on the mini. I keep telling myself that I'm going to return it but it seems kinda dumb considering I have been using it since I bought it. Games are perfect. I may just keep both iPads, one for reading and the other for games and movies. Anybody else find that they keep using the mini even though the screen is a couple years out of date?

The iPad mini is all that I use now too so why would you even think of returning it if you find yourself using it so much???? I am completely perplexed at why anyone would find the screen on the mini bad. I have an iPad as well and as far as anything I need or want to do, the iPad Mini's screen is just fine. And the size, particularly weight and thickness, is unparalleled. And that is why it is only the iPad Mini that I grab when I am on the go. I can't see myself using a full sized heavy iPad again.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Wait... The screen isn't retina?!?! What the hell? They are trying to keep it a secret! It's a conspiracy!!

Thank god you blew the cover off this! You are a groundbreaker

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Is it like chocolate? you know when you like the shape of the chocolate bar and you like the weight but you know its not good for you but you don't take it back and eat it anyway?

No?...oh.:confused:

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
I am completely perplexed at why anyone would find the screen on the mini bad.
It's because the text is fuzzy. Once upon a time that was fine, but after retina display there's no way I'd go back to that.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
It's because the text is fuzzy. Once upon a time that was fine, but after retina display there's no way I'd go back to that.

Dude, I have an ipad 3, and ipad 4 now. The retina is great and all, but the form factor of the iPad 9.7" is just lame. I can't even hold it longer than I need to to enjoy games or reading. I need to stand it up on my table or on the table titled up with the screen cover to enjoy it.

Retina resolution is superior to the mini's 1024x768 IPS but the ipad mini would be used 100% more than my iPad 3/4! It's true it's very hard to move back down pixel density after retina but the biggest killer in the screen would be the color contrast, the color gamut, on the ipad 4, it's just so rich.

LarryB08

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008

That's great for you so don't go back. But the original post mentioned how the mini was being used all the time but, gee, it just doesn't have a retina screen so I tell myself that I should return it.

It's that kind of thinking that sounds downright silly to me.

(Submitted on my iPad Mini comfortably held in one hand while typing with the other.). :cool:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
OP, I am in the same boat. I use the mini. I did not use the 3 as much. Its all about weight for me.

Selling the 3, will see what next year brings. Until then will use the mini.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

The weight and size seem to outweigh the screen for some people. That's all well and good but what about the processor? What about watching movies and their size? What about audio quality? What about RAM? What about web pages in porttrait mode?

If one has no issues with the MINI, fine. I'm on the fence so we'll see.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2008
The weight and size seem to outweigh the screen for some people. That's all well and good but what about the processor? What about watching movies and their size? What about audio quality? What about RAM? What about web pages in porttrait mode?

If one has no issues with the MINI, fine. I'm on the fence so we'll see.

Everything that you mentioned is not noticeably different on the mini. Screen size is great for movies.

Edit: browsing in portrait mode is pretty bad because of the low res.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Everything that you mentioned is not noticeably different on the mini. Screen size is great for movies.

Edit: browsing in portrait mode is pretty bad because of the low res.

Thanks for your feedback. I had the 3 at one time and I miss doing some things with it and I'll miss some others if I give up the Mini. No perfect device I guess? :)

----------

You mean the iPad Mini isn't the perfect device for everyone??? :eek:

Lol. Can we use a template to create our iPad, submit it to be built and get our own perfect device for the holidays? :D

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
I think both iPads are awesome in their own right and that people should use whichever one they enjoy more.

However, if you can't hold the 10" iPad for more than 5 minutes without your arms getting tired, you need to get outside more...or maybe go to Wal-mart and buy some 1 pound gramma weights and start doing some curls.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I think both iPads are awesome in their own right and that people should use whichever one they enjoy more.

However, if you can't hold the 10" iPad for more than 5 minutes without your arms getting tired, you need to get outside more...or maybe go to Wal-mart and buy some 1 pound gramma weights and start doing some curls.

Strength isn't the issue, it is comfortable level. I had the 3 for awhile. I had to keep changing hands or grasp it differently. It isn't heavy per se and obviously the Mini is more portable.

Next question. :)

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Like the mini for what it is and starting to ignore the comparisons to its larger siblings.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I have the iPad 3 as well and since getting the iPad mini I have barely used the iPad 3. I use the iPad mini all the time. I have in issues with the screen at all. I don't get why everyone is so up in arms over it. I AM familiar with retina. I used an iPhone 4 since the day it was released and an iPhone 5 since the day it was released, in addition the iPad 3 since July. I just prefer the size and weight of the mini. I don't feel it's a step backward at all.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
this mini sure does grow on you. love it

Didn't take long at all for me. Once I saw it at Best Buy noticed the size and weight and trying it out, I knew I had to have it.

It will be hard to part with it but eventually I think I will be better off with a larger better bigger brother in wanting to keep one of those longer.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Dude, I have an ipad 3, and ipad 4 now. The retina is great and all, but the form factor of the iPad 9.7" is just lame. I can't even hold it longer than I need to to enjoy games or reading. I need to stand it up on my table or on the table titled up with the screen cover to enjoy it.

Retina resolution is superior to the mini's 1024x768 IPS but the ipad mini would be used 100% more than my iPad 3/4! It's true it's very hard to move back down pixel density after retina but the biggest killer in the screen would be the color contrast, the color gamut, on the ipad 4, it's just so rich.

I think reducing its weight for the next iPad generation would help out a Ton. Would reduce the impression pf its 9.7 size.

Last edited:

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
That's great for you so don't go back. But the original post mentioned how the mini was being used all the time but, gee, it just doesn't have a retina screen so I tell myself that I should return it.
That's fine. I understand and appreciate that plenty of people love the iPad Mini and aren't bothered by the resolution. My comment was purely aimed at the person who said "I am completely perplexed at why anyone would find the screen on the mini bad."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.