Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
AppleCare

I understand cracking open your iMac and replacing parts will void the warranty.

Only if you break it while you open it and replace the parts, or if the new parts cause the damage. And of course your new parts that you didn't buy from Apple are not under Apple warranty, but whoever made them.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Only if you break it while you open it and replace the parts, or if the new parts cause the damage. And of course your new parts that you didn't buy from Apple are not under Apple warranty, but whoever made them.

For me it's not worth it, maybe if the LCD wasn't glued on I'd take a crack at it in a few years but not now, and I have an IT diploma.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
The dude with the money on hands but in doubt of spending most of it at once. :D

For $200 saving, go with the i5, use the money toward Fusion Drive upgrade.
Upgrade GPU if you want a bit oomph in gaming, although 675MX is no slouch either.

And lastly, obviously get your own RAM kit, leave the 2x4GB standard alone.

Good luck with spending $2400 on your iMac.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
The dude with the money on hands but in doubt of spending most of it at once. :D

For $200 saving, go with the i5, use the money toward Fusion Drive upgrade.
Upgrade GPU if you want a bit oomph in gaming, although 675MX is no slouch either.

And lastly, obviously get your own RAM kit, leave the 2x4GB standard alone.

Good luck with spending $2400 on your iMac.

Hahaha I'll go with i7 lol. I've never had this much money before so I'm like :0 lol. Well I did have this kind of money but I had to pay for classes. But most of it comes via trades believe or not I started with an iPhone 5 that I spent 200 and just doing trades ended up with 1k which leads me to this ;)

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Hahaha I'll go with i7 lol. I've never had this much money before so I'm like :0 lol. Well I did have this kind of money but I had to pay for classes. But most of it comes via trades believe or not I started with an iPhone 5 that I spent 200 and just doing trades ended up with 1k which leads me to this ;)

Whoa .. You're this dude? :eek:

Google+Pays+Me.jpg

Jk man :D
Yeah if you have the money then by all means go for it although I doubt i7 will bring you any benefit. But it's your money anyway.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Whoa .. You're this dude? :eek:

Jk man :D
Yeah if you have the money then by all means go for it although I doubt i7 will bring you any benefit. But it's your money anyway.

Lmaoooo made me laugh in Eco class lol. Well for now I don't need the extra power but in the coming months I will. And since I don't want to open it and swap processors I'll go with i7. Thanks for the advice though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.