Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:32 AM   #1
jason2811
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2006
Google ending CardDAV and CalDAV support?

So when the end CalDAV and CardDAV support (apparently in September), how does someone access their Google contacts or their Google calendar on an iPhone? There must still be some method, correct?
jason2811 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:54 AM   #2
TruckdriverSean
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas, US
I haven't heard of this.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Google ending Exchange support? Different animal.
TruckdriverSean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:47 AM   #3
jason2811
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckdriverSean View Post
I haven't heard of this.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Google ending Exchange support? Different animal.
http://googleblog.blogspot.nl/2013/0...-cleaning.html
jason2811 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 09:51 AM   #4
ericg301
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2811 View Post
So when the end CalDAV and CardDAV support (apparently in September), how does someone access their Google contacts or their Google calendar on an iPhone? There must still be some method, correct?
from the blog:

"We remain committed to supporting open protocols like CalDAV. "

They're shutting down "CalDAV API" for developers.
ericg301 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:11 PM   #5
jason2811
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericg301 View Post
from the blog:

"We remain committed to supporting open protocols like CalDAV. "

They're shutting down "CalDAV API" for developers.
Can you explain what the difference is?
jason2811 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:12 PM   #6
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2811 View Post
Can you explain what the difference is?
The difference is that developers for applications have a different access point for caldav than end user devices accessing individual accounts.


Also, Google isn't ending caldav API support entirely. It's ending support for an experimental version, and tightening up access to a production version in September.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 06:15 AM   #7
whsbuss
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SE Penna.
I'm so sick of Google's new direction for mobile devices. Ever since their decision to drop AES for free Gmail accounts I've moved on.
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:49 PM   #8
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020
 
zorinlynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida, USA
Just wanted to note that CalDAV and CardDAV have been more reliable for me, in my experience, than EAS.

Also, EAS had annoying limitations in how you could set up contacts. For example, you could only have one "work" number or one "mobile" number for someone. With CardDAV those restrictions are no longer there.

EAS sucks. I'm glad Google has moved away from it (and is likely no longer paying patent license fees to MS for it). I have other problems with Google but this is definitely not one of them!
__________________
Old-school Apple ][ expert! Ask me if you have a ][ question!
Apple user 1983-1992, 2003-Present -- Linux user 1995-Present
Windows-free since 2003! Though I still have to deal with it at work.
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:16 PM   #9
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
Just wanted to note that CalDAV and CardDAV have been more reliable for me, in my experience, than EAS.

Also, EAS had annoying limitations in how you could set up contacts. For example, you could only have one "work" number or one "mobile" number for someone. With CardDAV those restrictions are no longer there.

EAS sucks. I'm glad Google has moved away from it (and is likely no longer paying patent license fees to MS for it). I have other problems with Google but this is definitely not one of them!
FWIW, a lot of the limitations in Google's implementation of EAS are not due to EAS itself. Most of the those limitations were because Google configured them in. Whether it was intentional or not is anyone's guess, but the EAS implementation I use at work isn't nearly as limited as Google's was, and EAS certainly doesn't suck when the admins configure it in a non-sucky fashion.

So, yeah, Google is pretty much where the problem was, all along.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resolved: Google CardDav Contacts No Longer Syncing BrianBaughn iOS 6 0 Dec 6, 2013 10:51 AM
CalDav & CardDav ios 7 mcflyy iOS 7 6 Oct 28, 2013 04:29 AM
Google Ending Support for Google Catalogs on iOS and Android August 15 MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 20 Aug 1, 2013 11:50 AM
General: Google now supports iOS contact sync using CardDAV instead of MS Exchange brilliantthings iOS 6 0 Sep 27, 2012 03:56 PM
CardDAV, CalDAV & Notes didn't work at ML server simdao Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking 0 Jul 25, 2012 10:11 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC