Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 27, 2013, 03:55 PM   #101
otismotive77
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILen(e View Post
It's usually very bad style to support an argument by saying "Just google it" - because it shows you either lack the will to support it yourself, are too lazy to google it yourself and post links to credible sources - or you made something up and hope to hide that fact by asking someone to google it, knowing that he will be too lazy to do it.

And then the search you are suggesting is also so very shallow and would show results that are filled with Anti-Apple zealotry, no credible source would simply state "The iPhone is overrated", they wouldn't even do it with Blackberry or Windows Phone.

Just to kill your argument that a Google search for "iPhone overrated" is a valid source of anything or the claim that 70% of iPhone buyers bought it to show off:

Google it, google "iphone overrated" - and limit the search results to stuff that has been posted before... let's say the end of 2008.

You'll find forum posts, customer reviews (I like this one, saying how Nokia N80 is a much better phone than the iPhone 3G) or even short-sighted blabla from PCWorld like this one, stating that touchscreens are not usable for typing, recommending a Sidekick instead.

Well, we all know how that ended, with even Microsoft going all touchscreen input on their phones and even tablets - and PC World is ceasing print publication in August^^
Which is also funny, because the digital edition will be available only on iPhones, iPads, Android and Kindle Fire - all touchscreen-only.
just google, "iphone overrated" "why do people buy iphone"
got to any random link and check out the answers

and yes, i am too lazy to post all those GAZILLION(yep, that's how much people hate it) links
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 07:21 PM   #102
SILen(e
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by otismotive77 View Post
just google, "iphone overrated" "why do people buy iphone"
got to any random link and check out the answers

and yes, i am too lazy to post all those GAZILLION(yep, that's how much people hate it) links
Boy, you're a *censored*

When you use a search engine to ask that question, you'll get results showing the misguided opinion of a hundred thousand Android fanboys, the iPhone being for sheeple or stuff like that.


You would need a survey (and NOT on Android-Fansite.com) why somebody owning an iPhone bought it or picked it over an Android device.

With a large enough sample, with users who are actually owning an iPhone and all the other things that are important if you want a scientifically valid survey result.



That's the way how grown-ups answer this question, not by asking someone using a Galaxy Note 2 on the street what he thinks why iPhone owners bought the iPhone.

How not to do a survey is shown here at Business Insider (which is often releasing anti-Apple-biased news to gain pagehits), with answers like "What might make you buy an Android or BlackBerry or Windows Phonw 7 instead? - Nothing: I live in the reality distortion field" or "What might make you buy an iPhone instead? - Nothing: I hate Apple".

Then again, that survey was also open to vandalism, that means Android fanboys like to troll and vandalize surveys to make Android look more important - it's like a post on Justin Bieber fansites whenever there's a new "Best artist ever" poll on a well known music website to vote for Bieber.

So for real results, don't use a survey that anyone can take part in, because those will be gamed by whatever faction has the most rabid fanboys.

And Android has a lot of fanboys, especially the Samsung ones are almost ridiculous.
SILen(e is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 03:17 PM   #103
otismotive77
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILen(e View Post
Boy, you're a *censored*

When you use a search engine to ask that question, you'll get results showing the misguided opinion of a hundred thousand Android fanboys, the iPhone being for sheeple or stuff like that.


You would need a survey (and NOT on Android-Fansite.com) why somebody owning an iPhone bought it or picked it over an Android device.

With a large enough sample, with users who are actually owning an iPhone and all the other things that are important if you want a scientifically valid survey result.



That's the way how grown-ups answer this question, not by asking someone using a Galaxy Note 2 on the street what he thinks why iPhone owners bought the iPhone.

How not to do a survey is shown here at Business Insider (which is often releasing anti-Apple-biased news to gain pagehits), with answers like "What might make you buy an Android or BlackBerry or Windows Phonw 7 instead? - Nothing: I live in the reality distortion field" or "What might make you buy an iPhone instead? - Nothing: I hate Apple".

Then again, that survey was also open to vandalism, that means Android fanboys like to troll and vandalize surveys to make Android look more important - it's like a post on Justin Bieber fansites whenever there's a new "Best artist ever" poll on a well known music website to vote for Bieber.

So for real results, don't use a survey that anyone can take part in, because those will be gamed by whatever faction has the most rabid fanboys.

And Android has a lot of fanboys, especially the Samsung ones are almost ridiculous.
yeah, right!
believe me there are more "ridiculous" iphone fans than those "ridiculous android fanboys", why? bcoz some are those who buy it and then compliment it till death, some are those who cant buy but they know how popular it is and the rest are those who dont even know about any phone except the iphone(bcoz of heavy marketing), this makes up about 2 billion people.
in android, that's not the case, you've got entry-level phones, midrangers and high-enders, buy whatever you want, samsung is the only heavy marketer and if some cant buy their flagship phone they can always buy their mid-level and entry-level phones, android users know about the REAL features, features which the iphone lags in and the tonnes of features which android and samsung offer.
it's the apple community who has the most ridiculous fanboys, fanboys who have lost the argument yet they continue to argue.
in android community, there are fans who know about the REAL world, the REAL features that's why they go to these apple fansites laugh at apple fanboys and tell the "ridiculous" about android and the REAL features.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 03:49 PM   #104
SILen(e
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by otismotive77 View Post
in android community, there are fans who know about the REAL world, the REAL features that's why they go to these apple fansites laugh at apple fanboys and tell the "ridiculous" about android and the REAL features.
Well, isn't it a bit childish to go to forums of the "other side" and call a company "crApple" and users of it's products "iSheep"?

Turns out that doesn't happen the other way round, at least not even remotely in similar numbers and also with a much less hateful way of stating your dislike for a company.

For every use of "Fandroid" - which isn't even displaying any signs of hate or ridicule - there are a hundred uses of "iSheep", "Apple zealots" etc...




So, two more points:

1. No, Android users in general don't know about "FEATURES" or whatever, they just get whatever their ISP is giving away for free or trying to push because of some kind of improved vendor-lock-in.

As soon as Firefox OS is ready for widespread use, ISPs will push that instead of cheap Android phones, because they are even cheaper (for the ISP to buy, when giving them away with a contract for free) and those can be configured by the ISPs to use a VERIZON Appstore (or AT&T, Telekom.. whatever), forcing you to stay at your ISP if you want to keep your apps.

Only 10% of all the people buying smartphones have any idea what specs that phone has, the only exception might be Windows Phone 8 - but only because that is only bought by people who know exactly that they want WP8 over iOS or Android, with WP8 it's maybe 20%.

2. What "FEATURES"?
A bigger screen isn't a feature.

LTE? That technology was in its infancy when Android fanboys bashed the iPhone for not having it, causing some LTE Android phones to LOSE charge when navigating via LTE while using a car charger.

NFC? Payment via NFC with a smartphone is still in its infancy and all the other uses simply use NFC because the inventors were to lazy to think of a better way to implement it.

Using NFC tags to switch between work- and home-settings?

Geofencing, weekly schedules or a simple button in the interface do that too and you don't have to walk back to your house door if you forget to use the NFC tag there.

The Samsung Smart-XYZ stuff isn't working as intended and more gimmicky than actually usable.

So which features do you mean?
SILen(e is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:53 AM   #105
otismotive77
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILen(e View Post
Well, isn't it a bit childish to go to forums of the "other side" and call a company "crApple" and users of it's products "iSheep"?

Turns out that doesn't happen the other way round, at least not even remotely in similar numbers and also with a much less hateful way of stating your dislike for a company.

For every use of "Fandroid" - which isn't even displaying any signs of hate or ridicule - there are a hundred uses of "iSheep", "Apple zealots" etc...




So, two more points:

1. No, Android users in general don't know about "FEATURES" or whatever, they just get whatever their ISP is giving away for free or trying to push because of some kind of improved vendor-lock-in.

As soon as Firefox OS is ready for widespread use, ISPs will push that instead of cheap Android phones, because they are even cheaper (for the ISP to buy, when giving them away with a contract for free) and those can be configured by the ISPs to use a VERIZON Appstore (or AT&T, Telekom.. whatever), forcing you to stay at your ISP if you want to keep your apps.

Only 10% of all the people buying smartphones have any idea what specs that phone has, the only exception might be Windows Phone 8 - but only because that is only bought by people who know exactly that they want WP8 over iOS or Android, with WP8 it's maybe 20%.

2. What "FEATURES"?
A bigger screen isn't a feature.

LTE? That technology was in its infancy when Android fanboys bashed the iPhone for not having it, causing some LTE Android phones to LOSE charge when navigating via LTE while using a car charger.

NFC? Payment via NFC with a smartphone is still in its infancy and all the other uses simply use NFC because the inventors were to lazy to think of a better way to implement it.

Using NFC tags to switch between work- and home-settings?

Geofencing, weekly schedules or a simple button in the interface do that too and you don't have to walk back to your house door if you forget to use the NFC tag there.

The Samsung Smart-XYZ stuff isn't working as intended and more gimmicky than actually usable.

So which features do you mean?
it's okay if you dont wanna accept the truth, because most apple users dont have that much courage.

OK so here's the LIST of features which apple doesn't offers
setting default apps
multi-tasking (in a REAL way, like, multi-window)
different device options (entry levels, mid-rangers, high-enders)
launchers
custom ROMs
widgets and home screens
a real notification bar
keyboard replacement
phone app modifications
cross-app functionality, data sharing, etc.
multi-user support
working file system and attachments
install non-market apps (without jail breaking)
in android, by rooting you can overclock your phone or even extend (2 hrs) battery life

please google if these arent enough
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:56 AM   #106
Solomani
macrumors 68000
 
Solomani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni View Post
Let the Samsung-bashing begin in 3... 2... 1...
Being that you're typically among the first in line to bash Apple when the news is about Apple litigation.
Solomani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:04 AM   #107
SILen(e
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by otismotive77 View Post
OK so here's the LIST of features which apple doesn't offers
setting default apps
Well, i doubt many people need this, built-in apps are of a high quality and the only feature I am missing from third-party apps in a stock app would be the higher number of open tabs in Chrome for iPhone (which itself missing other features from Safari) - but that will be fixed in iOS7

Quote:
multi-tasking (in a REAL way, like, multi-window)
Well, I am actually looking forward to OS X 10.9 Mavericks which adds a similar way to handle multitasking in iOS to a desktop operating system.
Don't need open tabs in a browser in the background draining the battery and i don't need open apps on a mobile phone or tablet in the background draining the battery.

Quote:
different device options (entry levels, mid-rangers, high-enders)
And if they would simply kill the entry level segment, public Android perception would be much better. Too many devices flooding the market that are sold because it was technically possible to run (some form of Android) on it, not because it should have been done.
The Kindle Fire was a device that was too cheap to work flawlessly, the Nexus 7 too (lots of reports of the device slowing down after some use, possibly finally fixed now with Android 4.3, a year after the device's release), the Nexus 4 overheating and every tablet under 189 dollars being just cheap rubbish.

Cheap devices with low quality lead to people using them only rarely, because they don't enjoy them.

Add 50 Dollars of "quality" and "care" to a device, sell it for 149 instead of 99 or 249 instead of 199 and people will use the device more often, gaining more from it in the end then from a 99$ device sitting unused in the cupboard.

Quote:
launchers
Oh the fun I had when suddenly one morning a launcher on my Android phone quit working with some cryptic message of a trial period (well, it never stated that there was a trial period before) having ended. One would have supposed it would revert to the stock launcher, but no, it didn't. Try switching the launcher back to stock when there's no option available, because most screens of the phone are just black.

Quote:
custom ROMs
Doing your manufacturers job, great.
Trusting someone with a screen name that sounds like one any male teen would choose not to insert malicious code into the firmware you're using for banking.

Quote:
widgets and home screens
How many people are using shell replacements on Windows? Few? Yup!
Widgets use data, drain the battery and except for calendars (which are better placed in a notification area like... oh, the notification bar) they are mostly fluff, just similar to the Facebook Home debacle, with all the stuff your facebook friends are doing pushed directly to your homescreen, with the small problem, that that stuff is often totally not worthy on being on your homescreen all the time.

Quote:
a real notification bar
There is one^^

Quote:
keyboard replacement
http://thehackernews.com/2013/03/and...rned-into.html

Quote:
phone app modifications
http://www.scmagazine.com/badnews-in...ticle/289951/#

Quote:
cross-app functionality, data sharing, etc.
Well, you got a point here.

Quote:
multi-user support
Only available on tablets and again a sign of the market Android targets.
Google is selling a 199$ tablet (at least until last week) and wants it to be used by the whole family, all 5 of them.
Great, so you pay only 40$ per user, that's a great bargain, maybe you can save more by buying the 150$ tablet from Acer.

If you were really invested in tablets, you wouldn't buy the cheapest possible device, you wouldn't share it with the whole family, you would get more devices.

This mindshare hampers Android tablet adoption, adoption of services on your tablet etc...

Like how to answer a Skype call, when your baby brother is playing Angry Birds and you don't have a smartphone because you're yourself to young to own one.

Quote:
working file system and attachments
File management on iOS could be improved, but not via implementing a VISIBLE file system.

Quote:
install non-market apps (without jail breaking)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23431281
It's funny how this is always brought up as one of the benefits of Android but whenever something goes bad because of people using this "feature", they are blamed as too stupid to know what they're doing.

Quote:
in android, by rooting you can overclock your phone or even extend (2 hrs) battery life
Doing the job your manufacturer should have been doing, great^^



Now let's talk about iOS:

Options to restrict use of certain apps not meant for children? - Wow, it seems they finally implemented that in Android 4.3, so this feature will be available to all the non Nexus devices in... maybe spring 2014?!

Low-latency Audio?

Tablet apps - not really a feature iOS itself, but definitely a feature the iPad has that Android mostly lacks.

And I want to mention one hardware feature too: The Lightning connector.
Oh, I am sure you will now reply how awesome Micro-USB or even wireless charging is, but you're wrong.

Being able to insert the charger with either side up is one of the most brilliant unimportant things one will encounter in hardware and as soon as you have used it, you'll ask why other connectors are so 1980s in comparison.
And like with MagSafe, it's again Apple that uses such a simple but user experience improving and "Why isn't everyone doing this?" technology.

Kudos also to Microsoft for their - unfortunately afaik still unused - patent for a battery compartment that doesn't care which orientation the batteries are inserted.

What's bad about wireless charging? Lower efficiency, so charging can take longer and also wastes energy and you can't really use your device while it's lying on the charging mat/dock.

Using a cable may not feel as Star Trek'y as using wireless charging, but until energy can be transfered over a distance of at least a meter (without frying people's brains^^), it's just not ready yet.
SILen(e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:23 AM   #108
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PremiÓ de Mar
I like seeing how the nonsense arguments is escalating.

I'm glad that the majority of iOs and Android users are not like bot of you

A pirated version of switkey as argument against alternate keyboards? Really?

Android users know what real features are? Really?
__________________
There are four kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, statistics, and analyst projections.
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:16 AM   #109
SILen(e
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
A pirated version of switkey as argument against alternate keyboards? Really?
Let me explain:

A keyboard has access to everything you type in, that's why you would have to trust it A LOT.

1. Not all providers of additional keyboards are exactly trustworthy enough to use their keyboards.

2. The better ones cost money - Swiftkey costs quite a bit, actually.

With it being so easy to use APKs from other sources and the higher probability of Android users not wanting or being able to pay for apps (the PRO guys with a higher chance to pirate, the regular guys with less trust in THE INTERNET to enter their credit card details in Google Play), malware in pirated apps is also a problem.

And a keylogger in your keyboard is one of the worst kinds of malware that can happen.
SILen(e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 08:35 AM   #110
otismotive77
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILen(e View Post
Well, i doubt many people need this, built-in apps are of a high quality and the only feature I am missing from third-party apps in a stock app would be the higher number of open tabs in Chrome for iPhone (which itself missing other features from Safari) - but that will be fixed in iOS7



Well, I am actually looking forward to OS X 10.9 Mavericks which adds a similar way to handle multitasking in iOS to a desktop operating system.
Don't need open tabs in a browser in the background draining the battery and i don't need open apps on a mobile phone or tablet in the background draining the battery.



And if they would simply kill the entry level segment, public Android perception would be much better. Too many devices flooding the market that are sold because it was technically possible to run (some form of Android) on it, not because it should have been done.
The Kindle Fire was a device that was too cheap to work flawlessly, the Nexus 7 too (lots of reports of the device slowing down after some use, possibly finally fixed now with Android 4.3, a year after the device's release), the Nexus 4 overheating and every tablet under 189 dollars being just cheap rubbish.

Cheap devices with low quality lead to people using them only rarely, because they don't enjoy them.

Add 50 Dollars of "quality" and "care" to a device, sell it for 149 instead of 99 or 249 instead of 199 and people will use the device more often, gaining more from it in the end then from a 99$ device sitting unused in the cupboard.

Oh the fun I had when suddenly one morning a launcher on my Android phone quit working with some cryptic message of a trial period (well, it never stated that there was a trial period before) having ended. One would have supposed it would revert to the stock launcher, but no, it didn't. Try switching the launcher back to stock when there's no option available, because most screens of the phone are just black.



Doing your manufacturers job, great.
Trusting someone with a screen name that sounds like one any male teen would choose not to insert malicious code into the firmware you're using for banking.



How many people are using shell replacements on Windows? Few? Yup!
Widgets use data, drain the battery and except for calendars (which are better placed in a notification area like... oh, the notification bar) they are mostly fluff, just similar to the Facebook Home debacle, with all the stuff your facebook friends are doing pushed directly to your homescreen, with the small problem, that that stuff is often totally not worthy on being on your homescreen all the time.



There is one^^



http://thehackernews.com/2013/03/and...rned-into.html



http://www.scmagazine.com/badnews-in...ticle/289951/#



Well, you got a point here.



Only available on tablets and again a sign of the market Android targets.
Google is selling a 199$ tablet (at least until last week) and wants it to be used by the whole family, all 5 of them.
Great, so you pay only 40$ per user, that's a great bargain, maybe you can save more by buying the 150$ tablet from Acer.

If you were really invested in tablets, you wouldn't buy the cheapest possible device, you wouldn't share it with the whole family, you would get more devices.

This mindshare hampers Android tablet adoption, adoption of services on your tablet etc...

Like how to answer a Skype call, when your baby brother is playing Angry Birds and you don't have a smartphone because you're yourself to young to own one.



File management on iOS could be improved, but not via implementing a VISIBLE file system.



http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23431281
It's funny how this is always brought up as one of the benefits of Android but whenever something goes bad because of people using this "feature", they are blamed as too stupid to know what they're doing.



Doing the job your manufacturer should have been doing, great^^



Now let's talk about iOS:

Options to restrict use of certain apps not meant for children? - Wow, it seems they finally implemented that in Android 4.3, so this feature will be available to all the non Nexus devices in... maybe spring 2014?!

Low-latency Audio?

Tablet apps - not really a feature iOS itself, but definitely a feature the iPad has that Android mostly lacks.

And I want to mention one hardware feature too: The Lightning connector.
Oh, I am sure you will now reply how awesome Micro-USB or even wireless charging is, but you're wrong.

Being able to insert the charger with either side up is one of the most brilliant unimportant things one will encounter in hardware and as soon as you have used it, you'll ask why other connectors are so 1980s in comparison.
And like with MagSafe, it's again Apple that uses such a simple but user experience improving and "Why isn't everyone doing this?" technology.

Kudos also to Microsoft for their - unfortunately afaik still unused - patent for a battery compartment that doesn't care which orientation the batteries are inserted.

What's bad about wireless charging? Lower efficiency, so charging can take longer and also wastes energy and you can't really use your device while it's lying on the charging mat/dock.

Using a cable may not feel as Star Trek'y as using wireless charging, but until energy can be transfered over a distance of at least a meter (without frying people's brains^^), it's just not ready yet.
1) you doubt many people need the option of setting default apps? so you're gonna talk for the whole iOS commnity, wow

2) looking forward? iphone users should be used to that by now

3) that's just your opinion about the different device options, the fact is, more options mean a great benefit to the consumers.

4) why not use good launchers? never heard or never happened with me since i've joined the android community. launchers allow you to change almost anything without rooting and stuff, a delight which iOS users cant enjoy.

5) oh, the manufacturer did a great job, i'm just enhancing the performance. you have to do a little research to know which ROM is right for you

6) your opinion. i find them really useful, most of the android users do. as i said "more options, more benefits"

7) talking about keyboards, i have NEVER heard anything like that, and if you're not happy with swiftkey there are still many other options available.

8) you cant excuse every feature saying that it has a trojan, the thing is, it's a feature android users enjoy but the poor iOS users can only dream about it.

9) as i said, it's a feature android users enjoy but the poor iOS users can only dream about it. why not use a single tablet but only you can access your data? oh gosh...why am i asking this from an apple fanboy, what would he know about this!

10) at least we can attach anything and everything we want.

11) hahaha, not every app is malicious, it up to the user, and BTW there's the amazon app store (an app store which apple tried to sue but terribly failed) which is a fully trusted app store. android users enjoy (google play 1M apps + 100k amazon appstore apps) 1.1 M apps while iOS users arent even allowed to download apps from other sites

12) as i said, "the manufacturer did a great job, i'm just enhancing the performance" here, read some benefits of ROOTING: http://gizmodo.com/5982287/reasons-t...android-device http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...android_device http://smartphones.yoexpert.com/how-...oti-20478.html

you wanna talk about iOS, bring it on:

1) got that

2) been there, done that

3) as google was a bit late. at least it's changing (with the help of their 1M+ apps) ! oh, and btw android heavily outsold ipad last quarter, too sad, isnt it

4) lightning connector? seriously? the one which forced many people to throw away their expensive accessories? i thank you again for you "funny" facts, i can connect the usb port almost anywhere while you search for your lightning connector and buy new accessories, oh and as you said "i'm wrong, too bad i couldn't win"

being able to connect the charger with either side up? why dont you buy the nokia 3310, the one with the 360-degree pin, that'd be perfect for you

5) "What's bad about wireless charging? Lower efficiency, so charging can take longer and also wastes energy and you can't really use your device while it's lying on the charging mat/dock." biggest trolling of the century! OK tell me this, why would they release it, if it isn't ready yet?

let us enjoy the 21st century while you enjoy the stone age.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:08 AM   #111
SILen(e
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Okay...

2. had nothing to do with "Looking forward to finally getting whatever feature Android added ten bazillion years ago (in a ****** way, like C&P or folders prior to Android 4.0)", just that a mobile device can benefit from the way multitasking is implemented in iOS and it is a clear sign for the benefits, when Apple even implements the ability to use a similar way to handle multitasking on Macs or more precisely MacBooks.


Micro-USB:
Throw away your dock-connector equipped accessories?
There's an adapter available, actually a number of adapters, for any use case imaginable.

And what if they had used Micro-USB instead of Lightning?

It would be less advanced and people would need to find adapters or throw away their "expensive accessories" TOO!


Wireless charging: In what rainbow-colored land with unicorns dancing around do you live, when you really think that companies only release stuff when it is ready?

Didn't you pay the slightest bit of attention to Apple, which made a fortune on creating electronics (and services) that are not really new, but simply the FIRST version of a device category that finally works the way it should?

MP3 players, smartphones, tablets - all of those had been done before, but either didn't become a real success or failed spectacularly.

Wireless charging is good for ONE single user need: Not wanting to have to plugin the charger.

But there are other ways to solve this, like low-friction docks, which insert the charger simply by gravity.
Wireless phones are using this technology, the Elevation Dock for iPhone 4/4S also used this.

A bit more hassle but still less hassle than using a regular plug, like USB, is MagSafe, with no need to insert a plug (Magnets) and no need to use a certain orientation of the plug.

Wireless charging with a charging mat has downsides, like not being able to call someone while charging, not being able to play a game while plugged in etc.

The moment you pick up the phone, charging stops.

With a cable, you have a meter or more range to do whatever you want to do with your phone - while charging.

Even with a dock, you could at least use video calls (on docks that don't block the loudspeaker), because the phone is standing upright.

Try that with a charging mat, the person you are calling will marvel at how gorgeous your ceiling looks.


Wireless charging will become interesting when it can be used to transfer (enough) energy over a distance of a meter - without frying whatever is in its path.
SILen(e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:54 PM   #112
otismotive77
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILen(e View Post
Okay...

2. had nothing to do with "Looking forward to finally getting whatever feature Android added ten bazillion years ago (in a ****** way, like C&P or folders prior to Android 4.0)", just that a mobile device can benefit from the way multitasking is implemented in iOS and it is a clear sign for the benefits, when Apple even implements the ability to use a similar way to handle multitasking on Macs or more precisely MacBooks.


Micro-USB:
Throw away your dock-connector equipped accessories?
There's an adapter available, actually a number of adapters, for any use case imaginable.

And what if they had used Micro-USB instead of Lightning?

It would be less advanced and people would need to find adapters or throw away their "expensive accessories" TOO!


Wireless charging: In what rainbow-colored land with unicorns dancing around do you live, when you really think that companies only release stuff when it is ready?

Didn't you pay the slightest bit of attention to Apple, which made a fortune on creating electronics (and services) that are not really new, but simply the FIRST version of a device category that finally works the way it should?

MP3 players, smartphones, tablets - all of those had been done before, but either didn't become a real success or failed spectacularly.

Wireless charging is good for ONE single user need: Not wanting to have to plugin the charger.

But there are other ways to solve this, like low-friction docks, which insert the charger simply by gravity.
Wireless phones are using this technology, the Elevation Dock for iPhone 4/4S also used this.

A bit more hassle but still less hassle than using a regular plug, like USB, is MagSafe, with no need to insert a plug (Magnets) and no need to use a certain orientation of the plug.

Wireless charging with a charging mat has downsides, like not being able to call someone while charging, not being able to play a game while plugged in etc.

The moment you pick up the phone, charging stops.

With a cable, you have a meter or more range to do whatever you want to do with your phone - while charging.

Even with a dock, you could at least use video calls (on docks that don't block the loudspeaker), because the phone is standing upright.

Try that with a charging mat, the person you are calling will marvel at how gorgeous your ceiling looks.


Wireless charging will become interesting when it can be used to transfer (enough) energy over a distance of a meter - without frying whatever is in its path.

2) still, it's a feature which android users enjoy but iOS users....

micro-usb:
"There's an adapter available, actually a number of adapters, for any use case imaginable." still, you have to pay!

"And what if they had used Micro-USB instead of Lightning?

It would be less advanced and people would need to find adapters or throw away their "expensive accessories" TOO!"
it was a mistake on apple's part, the usb port came out in mid 90s yet apple decided to use the stone-age 30 pin adapter. they had one more chance, they should have switched to usb port while the iphone community was still small but they didnt, they introduced their own port when the iphone community consisted of hundreds of millions of people which forced consumers to pay millions(talkin' bout the whole community) to make their accessories compatible again.


wireless charging:
if you can use this "being able to connect the charger with either side up" to support the lightning port i think i can say "atleast you dont need to plug-in" to support wireless charging.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 01:25 AM   #113
SILen(e
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by otismotive77 View Post
it was a mistake on apple's part, the usb port came out in mid 90s yet apple decided to use the stone-age 30 pin adapter. they had one more chance, they should have switched to usb port while the iphone community was still small but they didnt, they introduced their own port when the iphone community consisted of hundreds of millions of people which forced consumers to pay millions(talkin' bout the whole community) to make their accessories compatible again.
So, are you trolling or are you seriously that dumb?

Dock Connector -> Stone age?

Really?

The Dock Connector was able to transfer Data over FireWire, USB 2.0, Power (more than USB), Sound, Video and also control signals.

USB-Micro was announced in 2007 (years after the introduction of the Dock Connector) and until the introduction of MHL with the FIRST retail availability in May 2011 you needed an additional (Mini) HDMI port on an Android smartphone to get video out capability.

The Dock Connector was years ahead of other connectors.


As you praise Samsung so much, do you realize that they changed the pin configuration of the MHL- connection with the Galaxy S 3 for seemingly no other reason than to piss/rip off customers who bought a Galaxy S 2 and a MHL adapter for that device?
SILen(e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 02:45 PM   #114
pirg
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by otismotive77 View Post
there are many links, just google, bing, yahoo, ask etc "iphone overrated".
that's your source??

Well in that case, android sucks. Just Google "android sucks"and it'll prove it. There are literally gazillions of people complaining about android. That's my source.
pirg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 04:26 PM   #115
otismotive77
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILen(e View Post
So, are you trolling or are you seriously that dumb?

Dock Connector -> Stone age?

Really?

The Dock Connector was able to transfer Data over FireWire, USB 2.0, Power (more than USB), Sound, Video and also control signals.

USB-Micro was announced in 2007 (years after the introduction of the Dock Connector) and until the introduction of MHL with the FIRST retail availability in May 2011 you needed an additional (Mini) HDMI port on an Android smartphone to get video out capability.

The Dock Connector was years ahead of other connectors.


As you praise Samsung so much, do you realize that they changed the pin configuration of the MHL- connection with the Galaxy S 3 for seemingly no other reason than to piss/rip off customers who bought a Galaxy S 2 and a MHL adapter for that device?

atleast samsung did the right thing, they changed the configuration in time, when the S community was still small, that didnt effect millions of people, unlike apple who affected about 100 million people.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple and Samsung Negotiating Agreement to Settle Patent Disputes Out of Court MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 163 May 26, 2014 12:59 PM
Judge Voids Nearly Half of Apple's $1 Billion Judgment Against Samsung, Calls for New Trial to Settle Revised Damages MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 214 Mar 8, 2013 11:36 AM
Apple's Chief Patent Litigator Profiled as Samsung Threatens Lawsuits over iPhone 5 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 321 Sep 13, 2012 03:50 PM
Apple gets antitrust investigation opened against Samsung in Korea Dolorian Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 3 Sep 8, 2012 02:49 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC