Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MetalGearTW

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Lately every time I try to torrent a file using uTorrent, after 5 - 10 minutes, the download speed goes from 1.5 MB/s to 9 kb/s.

Now the problem isn't the dramatic drop of download speed. It breaks my Mac Mini. Everything starts lagging and slowing down, such as opening Finder which takes a minute to open (instead of seconds) and browsing the web which takes 30 seconds to load google.com. The only way to solve this is by stopping the torrent and deleting it, then rebooting the Mac Mini.

This Mac Mini is only 1 month old so I'm pretty sure it's not the hardware.

Is anyone savvy enough to explain what is going on? How the hell is uTorrent capable of completely breaking Mac Mini???

MetalGearTW

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Thanks guys. I used transmission and it doesn't break my mac like uTorrent did, nor did it go below 10kb/s randomly.

However when i quit transmission, I have to force quit the app because it won't close. After it closes, everything starts lagging again... i have to hold the power button of my mac to shut every thing down.

What is wrong with my mac mini?!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
However when i quit transmission, I have to force quit the app because it won't close.
Transmission sometimes has a delay when quitting as it closes out connections. Give it a little time before you force quit.

AlanBennet

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
Flash of genius I restarted my router, excellent worked first time.

Transmission sometimes has a delay when quitting as it closes out connections. Give it a little time before you force quit.
Thanks guys. I used transmission and it doesn't break my mac like uTorrent did, nor did it go below 10kb/s randomly.

However when i quit transmission, I have to force quit the app because it won't close. After it closes, everything starts lagging again... i have to hold the power button of my mac to shut every thing down.

What is wrong with my mac mini?!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.