Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Hello guys,

i would like to ask you a perhaps trivial question. When I draw in illustrator it creates smooth and beautiful lines (as its vector based I understand). Now, is there a way to turn the same feature in photoshop? That when I draw the line is nice and smooth (my hand is not so steady :) )
Also, for concept art what is better to use or what are the differences between illustrator and photoshop?
If one is going to use it for drawing which one do you think is better choice?

I love the smooth line but my gf says that photoshop can do much more than illustrator so i'm a bit confused.

thank you for any feedback or suggestions

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010

Those looks like they do the effect i was after but is there a one that would be free hand? Ie, if i sketch a line very quickly it will correct it like in illustrator?
Edit: of found the freeform pen tool but the curve is very pixelated. How do i make it nice and smooth and also change the thickness? In illustrator its very intuitive :)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Illustrator is just that - A vector art program. If you want to draw period, it's useless. Why? Because it takes the uniqueness away from your drawing style. Hence a majority of cartoonists use Photoshop and Wacom tablets.

What you really should be doing, is doing the concept art in Photoshop, and then using that as your template in Illustrator, lock it and trace it, whatever... If you still want to use Illustrator.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Illustrator is just that - A vector art program. If you want to draw period, it's useless. Why? Because it takes the uniqueness away from your drawing style. Hence a majority of cartoonists use Photoshop and Wacom tablets.

What you really should be doing, is doing the concept art in Photoshop, and then using that as your template in Illustrator, lock it and trace it, whatever... If you still want to use Illustrator.

Clear and simple, I like that. Thank you so much. I'll start to learn photoshop then. Good think about that is that I can use GoZ from Zbrush with that also so thats a plus. Whether or not I will need it is another issue.

:))
I will start with those tutorials then :))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.